Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on December 9, 2009
Excellent book. I bought this book for my 14 year old cousin for Christmas and his birthday that is a few days after. I loved this book and I spent hours looking and reading the book before I wrapped it up! Also Amazon has superfast shipping!
The edition has a plethora of unusual people
and phenomena like the following:
o bearded lady
o Ramana levitates
o pooch palace
o long eared lady
o waterfall riders
o David Blaine upside down
o a dentist operating with no hands
o the dog girl - just to mention a few

Buy this volume as a conversation piece
when company arrives.
These days, Ripley's publish 2 sizes of hard cover books each year.One is like this and called a Special Edition and published by Scholastic.The other is an annual edition ,but about twice the thickness,and about twice as much material.I find that it is surprising that the Scholastic editions are a little overpriced as they are directed toward a younger group.The type of things are much the same level in all editions.
This edition has a great variety of subjects and unbelievable things.As with all Ripley books,the quality of construction,paper,binding and printing and color rendition is excellent.
I have been a fan of Ripley cartoons and books since I was about 10 years old,nearly 70 years ago.Ripley's have continued to come up with the most unbelievable,but true, stuff all these years.A visit to any of the Ripley Museums or Odditoriums will have exhibits showing items that any fan of Ripley's will rember from the books.I am always surprised that the Museums don't carry lots of these previous books,as the older editions are just as entertaining as newer ones.
on November 26, 2010
I am typing this review for my 10-year-old son, PJ, who says:

"I got this book at the Scholastic book fair at my school. Everyone who saw it was either amazed or creeped out. I showed it to all of my [older] cousins at Thanksgiving and they loved it. This book is better than the Guiness Book of World Records book because it's got more amazing stories and pictures. Some of the stuff in the book is hard to believe, like magnetic men, people with three nostrils, a cat with one eye, and a person who has his big toe for a thumb and two other fingers on one hand."

I grudgingly bought the book for my son because I'm happy when he finds something to read that captures his attention. So far, we're going on three days and he's still very much engaged. Obviously, this is not a Newbery award winner, but it's a step toward a fully-engaged imagination. It is well illustrated and laid out.
on July 13, 2010
Excellent book for an average 3rd grade reader! It has very interesting and unusual facts about topics that truly interest the young mind (and old mind as well!)! Some of the vocabulary is difficult but can be easily understood when an adult reads with the child. My 8 year old granddaughter loves reading the book and our 5 year old grandaughter loves listening to the reading and looking at the unusual pictures! It is a fun and unusual book and a great conversation piece! Recommended for anyone who wants to read with an inquisitive young person! Wonderful 3D cover that immediately arouses a young person's curiosity!
I recently bought this book for a 10-year-old who is fascinated with weird facts. Her eyeballs were as big as plates when she unwrapped it, and I frequently see her carrying it around or grabbing it for a car ride. She reads it again and again and never seems to tire of it! This book is a great bargain to keep kids busy.
on November 8, 2014
It was okay. I didn't like the story layouts, most of the time there was only one fact in each page. What a waste of space. I like the older paperback versions better. There were more to them.
on January 30, 2010
My grandaughter is 9 and loves looking at this book for hours and hours.She is facinated with the oddities in the world.She took the book to shcool for all to see and she said they laughed alot.
on January 12, 2010
Great hit with my 10 year old - gets him reading.
Packaging was deficient: one cardboard enclosed in shrink wrap (no bubble bags like other times), which caused a corner to bend.
on December 19, 2010
I bought this book as a gift for my 8 year old nephew. He loved it. It kept him busy for hours looking at the bizarre pictures. I'd highly recommend it.