Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 26, 2012 12:25:02 PM PST
Dr. D says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 2:33:19 PM PST
Tepozan says:
Actually Amazon had this $49.99 during the holidays for the longest time WAY before Best Buy. Price went back up recently to $78 but now back to $49.99 for today. I didn't buy it then because I thought price was going to stay at $49.99 but i checked last week that it was $78 but now i can finally buy it for a good price.

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 5:42:55 PM PST
Dr. D says:
Well, that's good. It doesn't matter whether Amazon had this on sale before BB during the holidays. The holidays are now long gone, and in the latest sale on this item, BB had it first. As a result, I got mine from Best Buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 3:18:03 PM PST
JMM says:
As far as I can remember, Amazon's sales and/or price drops are almost always in response to another retailer's price - Best Buy, Target, etc.

Personally, I love this. I know that I can always count on Amazon to price match.

Amazon has saved me a lot of time and gas money over the years, so now I usually wait 1-2 days and give them a chance to match another retailer's price - and they almost always do.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 4:06:04 PM PST
Dr. D says:
But those retailers also allow you to buy online, and most of the time, shipping is free. I think it would be better if Amazon were to come out with a sale price BEFORE those other retailers come out with theirs. It just shows that Amazon is either very poor with coming up with pricing strategies, or they're just hoping for people to be stupid enough not to have bought whatever sale product from the other retailers.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 1:07:12 PM PST
Peein Elmo says:
The problem with Amazon just sitting back and matching competitors prices is there are very few sales by Amazon. 2 years ago if you wanted the best price for movies and games Amazon was the clear choice. Now you have to wait for Target, Best Buy, and Walmart to have a sale just to get a decent price out of Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2012 6:07:49 AM PST
bfore13 says:
Amazon did come out with a $49.99 price before the B&M stores. It was during the holidays when people are most likely to buy it. If they've still been selling copies at $78 or the current $65, why should they put it on sale? One of the main things that drives sales is excess inventory and Amazon probably doesn't have it. While you can get the item online from those B&M stores, often with free shipping, they also charge you sales tax. On a $50 item, that makes a difference at least to me.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 5:10:40 PM PST
Dr. D says:
Speaking of sales tax, Amazon charges me sales tax here in NY, so that part doesn't make any difference at all.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 7:10:48 AM PST
J.K. says:
As a shopper, you have to decide where to purchase a product.

Price is often the main factor in where people make their purchases. However, one of amazon's main competitive advantages is the diversity of available products. You're not going to find a competitor that has near the selection of Amazon (especially with all the 3rd party vendors that put their products on Amazon).

I'm not going to fault a company for their price strategy. They price it at what they think will help them make the most money or to clear out excess inventory. I buy where I spend the least money.

Posted on May 31, 2012 8:56:39 AM PDT
J. Martin says:
I personally don't have a problem with Amazon's price match. While I do feel some of the Amazon sales are lacking, the pre-order price match guarantee always gives me the lowest price on anything I've preordered, almost always beating any B&M store sale.

Also, if I had a choice between BB & Amazon, Amazon wins every time. Customer Service counts for something, and every experience I've had with Amazon's is far superior to just about every B&M store I've had to deal with.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Feb 26, 2012
Latest post:  May 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Widescreen Theatrical Edition)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Widescreen Theatrical Edition) by Elijah Wood (DVD)
3.2 out of 5 stars   (7,884)