5.0 out of 5 stars Faith lived out! Awesome and Refreshing, January 4, 2009
I bought this devotional for my daughter at the bookstore. She doesn't surf so I didn't know if it would interest her, but we are AMAZED at how God has already used it. My daughter broke her ankle figure skating just before a big Christmas show that she had a solo in. She has been off the ice 5 weeks and will return to skating this week. She is feeling anxious about it all. Last night before going to bed she read day one in the book and it really spoke to her heart...knowing that God has a perfect plan for her life and trusting HIM. Thank you , Bethany for sharing your faith and love for Jesus with other girls. I love that there is not a lot of "religion" in this...just a pure faith and love for a perfect Lord and Savior!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for teenage girls!, June 20, 2011
This review is from: Rise Above: A 90-Day Devotional (Soul Surfer Series) (Paperback)
Perfect for any teenage girl! Each day of devotions is filled with an uplifting Bible story as well with a personal message from Bethany that are easy to relate with. Very powerful and encouraging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the kids, December 29, 2007
Nice devotional. Kids love it. Includes a little info about surfing. Bethany is definitely on fire for the Lord.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome devotional!, June 8, 2013
Stacy Cerone (Savannah, GA United States) - See all my reviews
My 11 year old and I have been going over these devotionals for a couple of months now and love them. Bethany is so on their level in this book & it's inspiring to adults & kids alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Devotional Yet, October 24, 2013
My girls loved the Soul Surfer movie so when I saw the devotional I thought I would give it a whirl. I was so pleasatly encouraged to find it to be probably the best devotional I've ever read. It's applicable for girls 8-15 years. True to life, inspiring, encouraging, challenging and meeting girls where they are at in our culture. LOVE IT! I tell all my mom friends with girls to go out ASAP and get it/order it! We read it on the way to school... only takes minutes, no excuses moms!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars biblical yet understandable, August 16, 2011
My kids( 9 & 11) and i are using this as a morning devotional and are really enjoying it. It is real and down to earth but still with a good message, one that we can both connect with. Contains scripture and prayer for each day along with a story from her life. We Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet thoughts from a sweet girl!, May 9, 2011
A girl who became world-known not because of the shark bite that took off her left arm, but I think because of her attitude afterwards!

Her devotional book is just like talking to the girl next door. Simple language that any 9-12 year old girl can relate to and understand. She talks about her faith, her home of Hawaii and how to live a happy and thoughtful life. Her encouragement, determination and happiness are evident and contagious throughout this book.

The 90 devotions are less than two pages long each, so any girl can find five minutes or less to read and get something out of them. Sweet thoughts from a very sweet girl!

Zonderkidz sent me the above book for review purposes. It will allow me to keep the book. I have no other connection to and have received no other compensation from Zonderkidz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12, 2014
Inspirational, interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all girls, October 21, 2013
I bought this for my 8 y/o daughter and every day she talks to GOD. She has been learning to surf so what a great way to introduce surfing and an every day relationship with The Lord.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great devotional for girls, January 24, 2013
Rise Above is a lot of things. It's simple and to the point, and I think it's an excellent testament not only to God's involvement in Bethany Hamilton's life and how this has influenced her but to the fact that she's a wonderful role-model for young girls.

As an adult coming in and reading this book, it was apparent to me that it is definitely more fitting for young girls. This isn't to say that I didn't come away with anything from this devotional. The messages are surprising in their simplicity and can even be eye-opening. I just feel like the overall tone and manner in which everything is conveyed would really resonate with teen girls. Plus, it's not as dauntingly long as the Bible but has just enough quotes from the Bible to where it can be more of an introduction into something much deeper. On a more personal note: I deeply admire Bethany Hamilton for her love for God, her positive attitude, and for the way she handles being in the public eye. Again, I think she's an excellent role-model for young girls, and I love how this book takes numerous important things from the Bible but presents them in a way that is easy to understand.

Each devotional has several parts. The beginning ties in with Bethany's own life and the devotion of the day. The second part is a quote from the Bible, the third is a prayer that ties in with parts one and two, and the last little bit is a "Did You Know?" section, which contains random facts and trivia, often about Hawaii.

Overall: highly recommended

Rise Above: A 90-Day Devotional (Soul Surfer Series)
Rise Above: A 90-Day Devotional (Soul Surfer Series) by Bethany Hamilton (Paperback - March 13, 2011)
$9.99 $8.99
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.
Rate and Discover Movies