1,645 Reviews
 (1,257)

5.0 out of 5 stars It should have been nominated in the Oscars
You'll have to just see it to believe.

I'm 47 years old. I normally walk out of animated films which sound too noisy for me.
I not only stayed the entire movie. I watched it again 4 times -- alone even, just to experience it again and again.
Published 20 months ago by Franklymydear777

3.0 out of 5 stars typical cartoon, fun for kids.
It is a clever story with good graphics but the characters are flat and only sort of sympathetic. Kids will enjoy their holiday heros come to life.
Published 17 months ago by Jordan P. Towne

5.0 out of 5 stars It should have been nominated in the Oscars, January 17, 2013
You'll have to just see it to believe.

The magic of childhood is the magic of wonder, play, dream, believing. And if you still have that imagination left in you,
then maybe you could still sit down, laugh, cry, cheer with your kids while watching this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can an animated piece be so moving., January 22, 2013
The previews for this movie looked fun and funny; seeing this movie in full-length was an even broader experience. This is one of those movies like "Finding Nemo" or "Toy Story" that will be timeless because of the content, the humor, and the wise message inherent in the storyline. I loved it . . . and so did my 29-year-old daughter and my four-year-old grandson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous movie worth rewatching, January 26, 2013
Jade Kerrion (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rise of the Guardians (Two-Disc Combo: Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy +UltraViolet) (Blu-ray)
A great and ancient evil is rising in the land, and it is up to the guardians-Santa Claus, the Sandman, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny-to convince the reluctant Jack Frost to fight for the innocence and imagination of the children of the world

The quirky premise leads into an enchanting tale of faith and self-discovery. Jack Frost, whose heart is as warm as his magical powers are cold, is the reluctant Guardian-elect. Invisible to children, bereft of memories, and unclear as to his purpose, he wanders through life making mischief (the Easter Bunny is still deeply unhappy about the blizzard on the Easter of '64) and racking up more naughty than nice points. But when Pitch Black, the boogeyman, schemes to wipe out the faith of children in Santa Claus and the other Guardians, Jack Frost teams up with the Guardians to bring laughter and joy back to the children of the world. In the process, naturally, he finds himself and his innermost gift.

The premise and plot, though simple, is beautifully written and wonderfully presented. The animation is dazzling and exciting (I'd be first in line for the ice-slicked roller coaster ride through the town, as seen in an early action scene) and the characters are charming and international in their appeal. Santa Claus speaks with a Russian accent and wields double blades. The Easter Bunny is over-sized at eight feet; he wields a boomerang and speaks Australian-ese. It would have been too much, I suppose, to hope that the Sandman would look like Morpheus from Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, but little Sandy kicked some serious booty with his Indiana Jones-style whips. The Tooth Fairy smiles too much; she raves and swoons over pearly white teeth. Jack Frost is at turns whimsically charming and heartbreakingly lonely.

Rise of the Guardians will appeal to any young child who still believes, children/adults of any age who want to believe, and cynical adults (like me) who don't believe but who can appreciate a great story and awesome animation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing family movie, January 22, 2013
This review is from: Rise of the Guardians (DVD)
We took our family to see this when it was in the theater and I have not been able to stop talking about it since. We felt it was so well written, beautiful to watch, and intelligent. I cannot understand why this movie wasn't a bigger hit. There was no aspect of it that left me wishing it had been done differently. I loved it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kids Movie, been waiting all winter for it on Video, March 3, 2013
As a father of a three year old, I pick our movies based on vibrant colors, humour and a child like sense of wonder. This movie has it all. Definitely worth keeping in a childs library and watching all year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rise of the Guardian, December 7, 2012
I took my grandchildren to see this movie at the theater and they were completely taken in by it! We, adults were captivated as well. Awesome movie!!! I want to see it again and again!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Superheroes for the Holidays, November 21, 2012
Ever since "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" comic (not the movie), I've been intrigued by the basic premise: legendary characters from other genres are given the superhero treatment and then brought together under unlikely circumstances to face a global threat. This structure is the standard plot of just about every Avengers and Justice League comic, but only recently -- perhaps a sign of the times -- has cobbling together a diverse cast of characters become movie entertainment.

"Rise of the Guardians" continues the trend by turning the dial on iconic characters like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and the Sandman up to 11. Each of these characters gives a gift to children, which in turn causes the children to believe in them and bestows a form of immortality. It's an oddly parasitic relationship that was prominent in Wizard of the Coast's "The Primal Order" supplement, in which deities need worshippers to gain power. Our heroes may not be all that powerful, but they are certainly popular. At least some of them are.

One of the questions weighing on my mind in bringing my five-year-old to this film was how "Rise" would deal with Santa Claus. It's one thing to question the existence of the Tooth Fairy (I never liked her anyway), the Easter Bunny (does anyone believe he exists?), and the Sandman (pretty sure NOBODY believes he exists)...but Santa Claus? That's some tricky turf right there.

Parents needn't worry. Santa is a jovial, dual saber-wielding slavic warrior full of wisdom, jolly humor, and generosity. As voiced by Alec Baldwin, this is a Santa I can get on board with!

The Sandman doesn't speak, but he pantomimes through thought-forms that lend themselves well to 3-D viewing.

The Easter Bunny is voiced by Hugh Jackman, which seems oddly natural. He's a combative, boomerang-wielding humanoid rabbit that can throw egg-smoke bombs like a ninja. He's also pretty adorable.

Isla Fisher (yes, the nymphomaniac from "Wedding Crashers") plays the Tooth Fairy as a neurotic workaholic who has been "out of the field" for so long that she no longer knows how to relate to kids. She also moons over Jack Frost (Chris Pine, AKA Captain Kirk).

Frost is the teenager of the bunch, frustrated by his lack of fame which makes him literally invisible to children. Frost is on a personal journey to discover how he became who he is and in doing so, accepting his role as a new Guardian of children.

And that's what "Guardians" is secretly all about: aging gracefully into parenthood. The older adults (the existing Guardians) worry about being forgotten, uninvolved in their children's lives. Pitch the Boogeyman (voiced by an unctuous Jude Law) craves attention so much that he would be happy to just be feared because it means he will be remembered. And Frost has to deal with his own childhood before he can become a parent.

There are some amazing set pieces, plenty of clever quips, and enough magical battles to keep the movie clicking along. But Frost is something of a bland catch-all for every rebellious "cool kid" in the history of movies (he wears a hoodie, he MUST be cool!) and his big revelation about his past isn't much of a revelation at all. "Rise of the Guardians" is clearly just getting beginning to launch a franchise, and this is a good start. But I'll take a movie about just good ole sword-swinging Claus any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, March 3, 2013
My 4 year old daughter and I have watched this movie 4 times in the past 2 days. Between a tattooed, sword wielding Santa, an Aussie Easter Bunny, a lovable tooth fairy, Sandy the whip wielding sandman, and the protagonist Jack Frost (who is in a journey of self discovery) it has been enjoyable each and every time. To make it even a little more magical, it snowed last night and my daughter was soooo excited to wake up and realize that Jack Frost had come to visit. The overall moral of the story is that there is fear in the world, just there is no need to be scared of it. Also to be true to your friends and what you believe in, they will always be there for you. A worthy purchase. My daughter has not loved a movie like this in such a long time. I could not be happier!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best animated film I've seen in a while, March 24, 2013
This was an awesome movie. My 30 something boyfriend and I both loved it! A great story of good triumphs over evil and children's hopes and dreams.....plus beautifully animated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie, February 28, 2013
My family and I love this movie. It takes me back to when I was a kid; a great movie for children and adults. Instant classic in my book.

Rise of the Guardians (Two-Disc Combo: Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy +UltraViolet)
$39.99 $17.89