4.0 out of 5 stars Strong start by a new author
Free e-book received in exchange for a review.

Published on August 3, 2011 by Arador

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing Rise of the Raven
Rise of the Raven has all the classic fantasy elements, with an epic, far-reaching plot that was sadly somewhat overwhelmed by 'first novel flaws.'

Published on June 24, 2011 by E. Phillips

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong start by a new author, August 3, 2011
Arador (New York State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rise of the Raven (Kindle Edition)
Free e-book received in exchange for a review.

Rise of the Raven is an enjoyable fantasy book by a new author. The beginning was a bit slow but things sped up after the first few chapters and Drennon really showed his talent. The battles were very well written and Drennon seemed to relax a bit as he got into the flow of writing. The characters could have used a bit more development, but they were interesting nonetheless. I wanted them to succeed in the quest, and felt satisfied with the ending. Overall, a good first novel by a new author. I'd recommend this book and series to fantasy fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars STEVEN R. DRENNON'S "RISE OF THE RAVEN" (A REVIEW), May 21, 2011
This review is from: Rise of the Raven (Paperback)
At first I had a little trouble getting into this book but I think it was more my fault for not having read anything in the fantasy genre for so long. As I continued to read however, I began to be unable to put it down. This is a fast paced, vivid and imaginative jaunt into a fantasy world that is dark and rift with demons. Definitely worth the read and very much in the path of some of the greater fantasy writers.

Steven Drennon's book is interesting and contains characters that aren't often used in other novels. I would recommend this to any hardcore fantasy reader!

-Kitty Bullard / Great Minds Think Aloud Book Club

4.0 out of 5 stars Rise of the Raven an exciting ride, May 10, 2011
This review is from: Rise of the Raven (Kindle Edition)
In Rise of the Raven by Steven Drennon, an evil wizard summons a demon to help him free his master from another dimension. They are opposed by the Khand, a group of wizards which includes a young apprentice who may be the saviour of them all.

First, what I didn't like about this book. It started out slowly and the prose and speech seemed somewhat stilted at the beginning.

I should say that I love epic and dark fantasy with lots of world building and battles and, it is here where I come to what I liked about the book.

This story is filled with great battle scenes and Mr Drennon shows his true talent when writing them. His descriptions are vivid and exciting and, once I got into this part of the book, I was completely engrossed. I couldn't put the book down (or, in this case, turn off my computer). Oddly, where the language had seemed slow and unwieldy at the beginning, here it flowed with brilliant imagery. At times, I wondered if he had based these scenes on real life events because they certainly felt real.

I believe that Rise of the Raven is Mr. Drennon's first book and, like most first books, it has its flaws. However, if you love fantasy with lots of action and great battles, you should, most definitely, give this one a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic sorcery genre piece, July 8, 2011
This review is from: Rise of the Raven (Paperback)
Rise of the Raven is a classic swords and sorcery tale with all the conventions of the genre intact. You have evil demons, brave kings and bearded wizards. They are fighting an unexpected war with a foe they had locked into the spirit world hundreds of years ago. But now he is making his play to wreak havoc on our world and men have to do anything they can to fight his return.
His minions are strong, and scary as hell, and they rise a swath of destruction over the land.

Once they start the book really takes off. It's slow getting there, for sure, but it is worth it. The battle scenes are well-constructed and addictive. The players are well set up and the payoffs are very satisfying.

Besides the slow first half of the story, I found the warm scenes were more uncomfortable and stiff than anything. But because you don't buy a book like this for the love stories, I think it's probably not a biggie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing Rise of the Raven, June 24, 2011
This review is from: Rise of the Raven (Kindle Edition)

At first it was very difficult for me to get into the book, which after some consideration may have been easier had book begun at chapter three. Especially in the early part of the book, Drennon's overuse of long passages of exposition make accessing the characters and their stories difficult for a reader, and thereby make it hard to build a relationship with any single character enough to care about him. I feel that some of the exposition could have been delivered the dialogue between characters, helping us to become more familiar with them, and also with the language of the story, which, because it was typical of the pattern of 'quest type' fantasy stories, at times appeared stilted or awkward.

A reader that perseveres however, will be rewarded by a high, (but dark), sword and sorcery type fantasy with gloriously written battle scenes, and even a little romance.

In spite of its issues, Rise of the Raven isn't a bad book overall, and has all the hallmarks of a promising author still learning his craft, and I would recommend that any lover of the fantasy genre would enjoy this book, especially keeping that in mind.

Note: I received a free review copy of this book, but my review remains, none-the-less, unbiased.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rise of the Raven: Great Battle Scenes, May 11, 2011
This review is from: Rise of the Raven (Kindle Edition)
Rise of the Raven by Steven R. Drennon is an epic fantasy, and I believe the authors first novel. For being a first novel, it was well written. The battle scenes were exceptional and entertaining. The first 100 pages or so were drawn out and boring, but it became more interesting as I read further. The Khand which consists of several higher up wizards are trying to protect the Watchstone from a demon who has been buried for hundreds of years. One of them will stop at nothing to try and free his Master. If you like the fantasy genre, definitely try this one.

Rise of the Raven