Rising
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$3.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 27, 2001
Format: Audio CD
This is THE definitive Rainbow record! After the first album, "Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow" was released, Ritchie Blackmore and Ronnie James Dio chucked Dio's former Elf bandmates and replaced them with Tony Carey on keyboards, Jimmy Bain on bass guitar, and Cozy Powell on drums. This lineup fit together perfectly, and brought out the true mystical aura of Rainbow better than any of the other lineups. The front cover couldn't say it any better: Rainbow is powerful, progressive yet rooted in ancient lore, dark and mystical but also full of light and hope. If Rainbow's music on "Rising" could be summed up in a picture, then this would be the visual representation of their music.
It's amazing; this album only has six songs on it, and totals only about 34 minutes. But Rainbow's "Rising" is far more than the sum of its parts. It conjures up such mystery, imagination, and wonder that it goes way beyond its songs to create such a beautiful panorama of images for the mind to enjoy.
The album opens with one of the greatest and most memorable keyboard intros in the history of rock and roll, for the powerful song "Tarot Woman." When Tony Carey did this back then, he probably didn't know that this would cement him in R'N'R history as one of the most dynamic, three-dimensional keyboard players ever. But it did, and this keyboard intro is his proudest moment on the album. When the bass and drums kick in, they pack a wallop similar to a train crashing through a brick wall. This CD is a sonic boom of epic proportions.
"Run With The Wolf" and "Starstruck" also pack a major punch, with Ronnie James Dio's powerful voice seeming to float on top of the music. It is an instrument all it's own. Not bad for a former barroom bluesman who got his career started as the founding member of "Ronnie and The Rumblers" way back in the late 50's (I wonder if I can get a collection of their songs, I'd love to hear what Ronnie sounded like back then...imagine that, eh?)
Although "Do You Close Your Eyes" is short and fairly disposable (I'm sorry, but it is the only song that just doesn't seem to fit here; I think it would have been better off on the first album, quite frankly), it is followed by what is my favorite song on the album, the magical epic "Stargazer." This song never fails to give me chills, especially when I am listening to it in the dark (this is one of those albums that are best heard in the dark). To me, this really is the centerpiece of the album, as it has Ronnie singing, "I see a rainbow rising!", and it features such an unbeatable combination of atmospheric keyboards and orchestra, slicing guitar work, and thunderous bass and drums. This is the progressive side of Heavy Metal at its very best.
The album then closes with "Light In The Black," which begins as a pretty straight-forward rocker, but soon turns out to be an extended showcase of keyboard and guitar solos, courtesy of Carey and Blackmore, respectively. This is Tony Carey's second proudest moment on the album. Overall, this is Rainbow's proudest moment-- ever.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 25, 2011
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
It's great that some of these record labels are finally understanding that there is more to the market than only the youger demographic. Releases like this are of real value to fans and collectors who in some cases are now in their late 40's and beyond!

Rainbow did not do much in the way of "extra" material when recording. They usually had just enough for the album. Who knows..Maybe Blackmore has all kinds of demos in his vaults that pertain to this album and he just doesn't feel compelled to release them? We just don't know. (None of the surviving members of Rainbow have ever indicated that such things exist.) But for those of us who understand how unusual it is to get this kind of material on Ritchie, it is a real treasure! One look at the liner notes confirms that he has involvement in these re-issues.

I remember asking Jimmy Bain once why the bass sound was so weak on "Rising" and he said the record company rejected it as being too-bassy and it was subsequently remixed with less bass end. If this is accurate perhaps this is part of why two mixes are available here. So, without knowing it I apparently grew up on what is called the "New York Mix" . After listening to this new Deluxe Version though, I now prefer the "Los Angeles Mix". I can finally hear the bass guitar! There are also some other minor nuances that I noticed on headphones in the way the intros were mixed too. The "Rough Mixes" while clearly noisey (with tape hiss) are VERY interesting as well! One cannot help but realize how incredible Dio was! You hear him with hardly any effects on the rough mixes and it's just absurd how great he is.

Another observation is that Tony Carey is also incredible. The sounds he achieved were perfect for this album. He had a way of fitting in sonically that was not matched by any other Rainbow keyboard players. (Rainbow had some great keyboardists over the years too) Carey's intros and solos, especially "Light in the Black" are just incredible! The "Rough mixes" render the mids and low ends of the guitar more as well.

As far as the Stargazer rehearsal bonus track goes, I think it would have been smarter to include Stargazer from the incredible (and expensive) live import CD's that many Rainbow fans do not have, as this bonus track is useless due to the poor quality.

(Link to Rainbow live Nurnberg 1976.) [...]

I wish someone could have located a live version of "A light in the Black" or they could have included something other than the poor "rehearsal" version. The booklet is good and had a few tid -bits that I wasn't aware of. (How the drums were recorded for example) The pictures were fair (kind of blurry) and could have been better, but that's not the priority for me. (The inner gatefold sleeve photo of the full band from the original album is not duplicated here either)

The only thing that would have me buying this album again would be if it went to 5.1. Assuming they had someone really knowledgeable with the process at the helm such as what is occurring with the King Crimson catalog. I am not nostalgic when it comes to music. Music, unlike some other art forms, will always be fluid so long as the multitracks still exist. I do not see this as "tampering" with any classic because the original mix is here and it sounds great. I embrace any chance to hear a remix or alternate mix so long as the artists is involved or has approved of it. The remastering is very good as the album was produced well. (One can only imagine what an album like this could have sounded like with todays recording technology) The differences in the mixes are not drastic. They are significant to the discerning ear though. I have no doubts there will be people who will not be able to hear the differences. It's a loney world I guess :)

It will take many listens to quantify and qualify these multiple versions. My first reaction is that the "LA Mix" and the "Rough Mixes" are the gems of this release. Oh and yes, the Rough Mixes have the extended keyboard intros on Stargazer too! They also have some longer fades as well! So, with that perspective is getting THREE mixes of one of Rainbow's best works worth it? In my opinion it is. If you are a casual fan or someone who doesnt appreciate the subtlties of remastering, or the art/science of remixing than perhaps not.

Update:
From the DEEP PURPLE APPRECIATION SOCIETY and from JERRY BLOOM who was from MORE BLACK THAN PURPLE and involved with this deluxe cd edition. He writes......
"To clarify it for anyone who is interested, when the album was originally released on CD in the 80s a mix was done in LA but rejected at the time and a new mix done in NY. As I was involved in the project with Universal I suggested they included the LA mix, which had leaked out on the Japanese release and in my opinion was better than any previous mix. It includes a lengthier intro to Tarot Woman and bass and backing vocals are more prominent."

*****New update from the man who worked on this release and for those who "think" there is more in the archives or on the tapes:

"Nothing could be found in Universal's archive. It's possible that tapes of outtakes may languish somewhere, but they haven't materialised yet. We do know there was an alternative keyboard solo by Carey for A Light In The Black but whether it was kept I have no idea.I'm sure that many people might be disappointed by no outtakes, but the major point I tried to get across in the sleeve notes was how quickly the album was done, as it had all been rehearsed beforehand, whereas DTE (and Long Live Rock 'n' Roll of course) was a different matter all together." (Jerry Bloom)
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2001
Format: Audio CD
As I sit to write a few words about an album that means so much to me I start to shudder a little in anticipation and excitement. "Rising" is quite simply the greatest hard rock record ever! The combination of Powell, Bain, Carey, Dio and Blackmore however short lived produced absolute magic in 1976. Ronnie James Dio never sang or wrote better lyrics and next to "In Rock" this is Ritchie's undisputed masterpiece. "Stargazer",the mystical successor to "Stairway to Heaven", blows Zeppelin and Purple away in its power and ambition. "Light in the Black" helped invent speed metal with its lightning quick dueling leads of Tony Carey (keyboards) and Blackmore. Carey also shines on the intro to "Tarot Woman" as does Cozy Powell on "Stargazer" and "Light". I personally love "Do You Close Your Eyes" as a welcome mood swing contrasting with the evil magic on much of the album. Witches, wizards, slaves and masters all parade through the black night created by Blackmore and co. I believe this was the album Ritchie always wanted to make after "Deep Purple in Rock" but it took him six years to find the right conspirators. Rainbow followed up this monster with "On Stage" then "Long Live Rock n'Roll" (an album which is almost as breathtaking) which proved to be Dio's curtain call with the band. Rainbow could have been the greatest metal band ever but it was never the same after "Rising" and "LLRNR" as Blackmore chose to pursue commercial success over artistic genius. "Rising" is THE gothic metal classic, nothing else comes close.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 17, 2007
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
This absolutely one of the best rock albums of all time for me! This my third copy of the album already. I've got the first copy way back in the late seventies. Played the LP almost every day so it got worn out until it came to a point where I don't like to play it anymore. I bought again the LP in the 80s. When I came to know of Amazon.com I bought it also in CD.

Songs like Stargazer, A Light In The Black, Tarot Woman and Do You Close Your Eyes are some of my favorites rock songs of all time too.

Listen to Ritchie Blackmore, RJD, Jimmy Bain, Tony Carey and Cozy Powell on this album! This is a master piece in rock!
on April 13, 2011
Format: Audio CD
Disc One contains the "New York mix" and the "Los Angeles mix" of the album. Between the two versions, the tracks differ only a few seconds in length so I couldn't hear any differences when playing each mix through sequentially. In comparing the individual tracks, you can hear that the New York mix is brighter, and there are some effects in the New York mix that are not in the LA mix. Out of the two, I prefer the LA mix because of its warmer, thicker sound field. The New York mix is the one that was used for the album and frankly, the 1999 remaster sounds way better in my opinion.

Disc Two contains the "Rough Mix" of Rising along with one live rehearsal track. I'm assuming that the "Rough Mix" tracks are the same Cozy Powell tracks that have been floating around as a bootleg for the last few years. There are some notably difference in the "Rough Mix" which include a keyboard into to "Stargazer" and a longer outro to "Run With The Wolf". The last track is a live rehearsal of "Stargazer" that is bootleg quality.

Honestly I had hoped for better from this Deluxe Edition, some extra track would have been nice. While it is interesting to hear the differences in mixes, especially for die hard fans, newcomers are better off sticking with the single disc version.

The cd should get 5 stars for the music, but I am giving less stars due to the quality of the remastering and the value of the package.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 2, 2011
Format: Audio CD
Honestly, I must say I prefer the original 1999 Remaster to the sound on this one. Two different mixes of the albums, New York and Los Angeles, but as one reviewer pointed out, neither one seems to get it right (although the bass is definately mroe audible on the LA mix). This is just my opinion, some people may enjoy the different mixes of the album, but I really think that both of these new remasters are not quite as good as the 1999 version; the new remaster sounds more tinny, thinner, at least to me.

However, the rough mixes ARE interesting, though the sound quality is not too great. It's cool to hear the band without any effects and whatnot, and there is on this (disc 2) a different opening passage to Stargazer, in which it begins with a keyboard lead, a la Tarot Woman. That was pretty cool!

So, if you're a diehard rainbow fanatic, and you want the alternate mixes of the orignal album along with some neat "raw" mixes, then I recommend this to you. BUT, don't throw out your old CD right away when you place the order, keep it and compare for yourself which remaster you prefer, 1999 or 2011, because you never know, you might prefer the older disc like I do.

If you have not heard this album before and are looking into it for the first time, I suggest you get the original remastered edition, because this edition really is more for diehard fans only, and with the original CD you save about 12 dollars. Anyhow, the album in general is highly recommended, very good stuff!
Format: Audio CD
Can someone tell me why Rainbow isn't as well known or respected as Zeppelin? Or Sabbath for that matter? Zeppelin kinda hogged all the spotlight for 70s hard rock and left some other great groups without their due credit. Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult and Thin Lizzy to name a few. Sure, Ritchie Blackmore and Rainbow are considered to be be classics in the critics' eyes, but who of the younger generation has even heard of Rainbow? There are some, but not many. The only people I run into who know about them are folks my parents' age who were youngsters during Rainbow's prime. Well folks, instead of adding Houses Of The Holy to your collection, why don't you pick up Rising instead. You won't regret it, coz this is a killer album. Not a wasted second. Ritchie Blackmore really got the green weenie, he should be higher up on the guitar players list than he is. Go ahead and crucify me, but the man's a better player than Jimmy Page. Don't take my word for it, listen to the album coz the guitar playing speaks for itself. So, if you have any love for 70s hard rock, you'd "better lay your money dooooown." and get Rising.
on December 23, 1999
Format: Audio CD
"Rainbow Rising". Just mention this album to true Rainbow fans and 95% of them will say one thing. "THE best Rainbow album ever!" I totaly agree. (Well, actualy "Blackmore's Rainbow" comes close for me also). I have owned this album on cassette and CD. When I found out about the "remastered" Rainbow albums, I just had to go and get them. Is it worth it to get the "Remastered" version? YES! Suha Gur did an excellent job on the remastering on this classic. Ronnie James Dio's vocals jump out and grab you by the throat. Ritchie Blackmore's guitar crunches on. Tony Carey's keyboards sound great to the highest note, while Jimmy Bain's bass and Cozy Powell's drums will slam you back so hard it almost causes whiplash. Not to mention the job done on the CD cover. If there was one thing I would have to complain about this album it is this, there is about 10 seconds of the keyboard opening to "Tarot Woman" taken back out. (Just like on the cassette version). While it was in the first CD version, (Polydor 823 655-2 Y-1). But other than that, this is a definate must have for the true Rainbow fan. A toast! A cheer! Long Live Rock and Roll! Catch the Rainbow!
on October 20, 2006
Format: Audio CD
But, unfortunately I can only give it five. This album is a classic, right up there with Machine Head. "Tarot Woman" is an awesome opener. "Run With the Wolf" rocks along and is one of those songs that just gets stuck in your head. "Starstruck" is pretty good too. "Do You Close Your Eyes" isn't quite as good as the rest of the album, but excellent none the less. The real highlight of the album is "Stargazer." Wow. Wow. WOW. It left me stunned and speechless the first time I heard it. An epic in its own right. "A Light in the Black" is a great finisher for Rainbow's best album. Long Live Rock and Roll is a close second to this one. Rising is an essential must-have in any rock collection, especially for Deep Purple fans and people who don't own it. Verdict: Buy two.
on September 3, 2001
This is the classic metal album for Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow,
before axemeister and taskmaster Blackmore turned the group membership into a game of musicial chairs.The lineup of Ronnie James Dio(vocals ),Ritchie Blackmore(lead guitar),Tony Carey(keyboards),Cozy Powell(drums),and Jimmy Bain(bass guitar) finally broke free the the Deep Purple sound and influence that pervaded the debut album(RITCHIE BLACKMORE'S RAINBOW) and stamped the musical world with their own unique Wizards and Warriors rock.It is this lineup and album that remains the classic with fans of the band.
TAROT WOMAN - Tony Carey takes us on an interstellar flight with his keyboard intro,before Ritchie's opening riffs bring us back down to earth,waiting for Cozy to pound us into the ground.The first time I heard Dio's voice on this track,I became a Rainbow fan.
RUN WITH THE WOLF - Great bluesy number with amazing fretwork from Blackmore and great lyrics sung with menacing conviction by rock's Napoleon."There's a break in the sky . . .something evil's passing by".

STARSTRUCK - Tale of an overzealous and overbearing groupie.Dio spits out the words with exasperative fury.Powell's pounding around his kit is a joy to a skinpounder like myself.
DO YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES - Straightforward chunky rocker that showcases the bedrock team of Powell and Bain.Great lines: "I know a rich man,a poor man . . .I know how to talk to a king".
STARGAZER - The best Rainbow track ever . . .bar none.All the band play a hand in the epic telling of the rise and fall of a Wizard,as witnessed by his slaves/servants/subjects.Blackmore's guitar solo has a Middle Eastern flavour to it.Quite possibly Dio's best lyric and vocal performance of his long career.The orchestra buried in the mix,when released,lift the track hig into the stratosphere where in remains for the next track.
LIGHT IN THE BLACK - A glorious excuse for a long jam session.
All band members get a chance to solo and shine.Tony Carey's fingers fly over his keyboards.Brilliant way to end this landmark in Heavy Metal.