5.0 out of 5 stars Just plain cool!
Published on August 23, 2011 by Nicolle

2.0 out of 5 stars bright but flawed
Published on January 11, 2013 by Thunder

5.0 out of 5 stars Just plain cool!, August 23, 2011
Nicolle (Carmichael, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Risk Racing 00-115 FLEXiT Ultra Flexible Hands-Free Flashlight (Automotive)
I'm pretty sure my husband thought I was nuts when I got this for him, but the same night he went out and used it on several different projects in the garage/driveway. He's kind of a flashlight fanatic and has several different ones, so for him to pick this one you know it had to be pretty good. This could easily light up a room (if not half the house!) in case of a power outage too. It's very flexible and 'pose-able', more than I would've thought possible. And bright! Just the low/2-light mode is enough for most things. Can't speak to durability yet as it's just too new, but so far it's been great.

Edited 11/9 to add: we've used this for several more projects and purposes since my prior review and it's still going strong. I saw another reviewer had problems with some of the bulbs not coming on - I'm not sure if they got a faulty one, we got lucky, or something in between, but ours still works really well and is nearly blindingly bright if you have all the bulbs on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good specialty light, July 2, 2012
C. Little (Strasburg, CO) - See all my reviews
I bought this light a while back on a gold box deal and waited to review until I had an opportunity where it could be tested. I'm what many would call a flashlight collector, so for most everyday needs I already have a number of lights that serve the purpose well. I got this light to use for situations my other lights weren't as useful. It should be obvious from the product picture but I'll state it to be clear - this is by no means the type of light you would carry on you (i.e. EDC [every day carry]) - rather it is more of what I would consider to be a specialty light.

After getting a chance to test this light out on some projects, I'm quite pleased with it. As an example, this past weekend I needed to change the fuel pump on a car that is in my shop. There simply wasn't enough light down in the area I needed to work to see what I was doing. The ability to place a light in the area and have magnets to get it to stick in place combined with the ability to bend the light around obstacles and mold it to a shape that kept it out of the way was excellent. Prior to having this light, my light of choice for a task like this would have been the mine light. However, unlike the mine light, this light has multiple LEDs which based on the way you flex / shape the red light head housing the LEDs can be multi-directional compared to the single direction and single LED of the mine light. Further, having up to 16 LEDs to work with provides much more illumination where needed.

While I wouldn't necessarily agree this light is extremely bright, it is bright enough to accomplish what is needed for a light like this to make it a valuable addition to the other flashlights you may have. It can be used as a portable standing light, and truly excels where light is needed in an area that benefits from being able to bend / position the LEDs around and keep them in that position without you having to hold them there by hand. Another area where this works well is where you have a metal surface to stick the magnetic base to for holding it in position as well as cases where you need a light that is hands free and a light in a head band doesn't fit the bill.

In terms of functionality I would rate this light at 5 stars. The only downside I see is that the magnetic base isn't as powerful / functional as I would prefer. Working on the car as I mentioned above it would have been more handy to have been able to reliably stick the base on a curved surface. I found for my purposes the base itself to be a little lacking (not saying it isn't good, but am saying the one weakness I find in the light is the strength / functionality of the base in sticking to metal surfaces that aren't flat).

Overall I'm very impressed with this light. For anyone considering this, it is well worth it in my opinion if you are looking for something like this. I would highly recommend this light to others with a need for such a light. The only downside I've noticed is as I mentioned above the strength of the magnetic base in sticking to uneven / non-flat surfaces. It can stick to those surfaces but isn't really steady at times on them and I found it tended to fall off / have a difficult time sticking in cases (though a saving point is that if there are other things in the area (like radiator hoses :) you can flex the light head around something to stabilize the setup. Stronger magnets would probably go a long way to curing the issue.

I would give this 4 1/2 stars if it were possible (5 for the light functionality minus .5 for a base that could be better / stick better). Since 4.5 isn't an option it gets 4 stars from me as well as a recommendation that it is well worth buying dispite the one area I would consider a weakness.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Can't Own Too Many of These, November 18, 2012
Conspicuous Consumer (Georgia Regents University) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm addicted to alternative lighting so I was filled with joy when our power went out. I had maybe 30 different options for reading in the dark and this light proved far better than my 70 watt electrical light I normally read by. I sat and read for three hours until the power came back on without getting fatigued.

Yesterday I set this same light up under my desk when I was setting up a complicated computer system. It lit the entire area. Well worth the money.

Unlike some other reviewers, all my bulbs work and I've been using my first one for over a year now.

Addendum: For the second time, I have replaced perfectly good lights with ones that were more attractive but seriously less functional. In this case, I replace the industrial flexible arm, wall mounted reading lamps with beautiful ones from Restoration Hardware only to discover that they only used 40 watt refrigerator bulbs.

No cause for alarm. I'll just order two more of these lights and put them on the end tables.

Addendum: My love for this light just keeps growing. The 23" fluorescent light went out on my aquarium and because that's non-standard, I had to order replacements. In the meantime my fish were learning to see in the dark. So I got the grand idea to hang one of these lights from a side shelf. Now the fish have light again and I have to order more of these. (See photo.)

Addendum: Finally had to replace the battery in my unit. I estimate that I got 70 hours of use out of it.

Addendum: My son and his family lost power for 24 hours during the Nemo snow storm. This light proved sufficient for lighting up an area for food prep, dressing, bathing, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product!, July 4, 2012
This is one of those things that you never knew you needed until you have one. I have used this to get many tasks done. It has a strong magnetic mount to attach it to any steel surface, and gives off PLENTY of light. It bends and holds the shape you bend it to so you can direct the light where it is needed.

We grill in the evening several times a year, and this attaches to the front of the grill and lights up the grilling surface so you can see what you are doing. When we had a power outage recently, we used the FLEXiT to light our family room until the power came back on. Works well when working on vehicles because of the mounting, quantity, and quality of the light.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great work light!, November 29, 2012
Often times the problem isn't that you don't have enough light, it's that the light you have is too focused. This work "flood" light solves that problem and a few others besides.

Light output:

This light provides bright, even illumination over a wide area. It does that by having its 16 LEDs distributed over a fairly large area. The result is a bath of light that produces fewer shadows that obscure what I want to see or reflections that are so bright as to be distracting. As a quick test I set it at one end of my otherwise unlit garage and was able to see well enough to read a book from 15' away in all directions. If you're into numbers, the package claims 128 Lumens. I don't know about that but I do know that each LED is bright enough that's it's uncomfortable if you look directly into it.

Convenience:

When not in use the light folds down fairly flat and only weights a few ounces. It also seems rather durable; the silicon/rubber is thick and flexible and the internal wiring is stiff enough so the light will hold whatever shape you choose.

The magnets *are* strong. One is sufficient to hold the full weight of the lamp. What it cannot do, even with both magnets, is to hold onto the side of a metal filing cabinet. I think the fault in this case isn't so much the magnets as the slickness of the cabinet. Stronger magnets could have solved this problem and it can also be solved by using the magnets to secure the light to the top of the cabinet and bending it in the direction you want.

Controls:

Couldn't be simpler... One button. Push it once and two LEDs light up. Push it again and you get four turned on. Press it a third time and all 16 LEDs go on. Push it one more time and the lights go off.

Battery life:

Package claim again... 70 hours. Frankly, that seems a bit optimistic and I expect it will be much less if I run it with all the lights on all the time. However, it's OK, whatever it is, since...

The light is rechargeable. It works fine with rechargeable (NiMH) batteries.

Final thoughts:

I still like my Joby Gorillatorch Flare Adjustable and Flexible Tripod Flashlight or Joby Gorillatorch Adjustable and Flexible Tripod Flashlight when I want a bright, precisely aimed light or an interesting video review. However this light has replaced my Cooper Lighting LED130 Might-D-Light when I'm looking for something to flood even a large area with more than enough light to work comfortably.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. Please let me know if you found this review helpful and if there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy gadget!, June 5, 2012
We got this to take traveling with us in case we needed a lot of light. It worked perfectly when it arrived, and still does. Somewhere in the journey the battery back came off, and it's now gone. (I'd take a half star off for that) But, the lights still work fine.

It really is as flexible as it says it is, and the magnet is great. Right now it's hanging on the front of the washing machine, ready for emergencies.

I like how it offers choices in how much light you can turn on. When they're all on, it's really bright! And when just a few on, it's usually adequate.

2.0 out of 5 stars bright but flawed, January 11, 2013
The lights all work well. However, on the back of the battery pack is a spot for the two very powerful magnets. It's the magnets that make this item versatile as you're supposed to be able to "stick it anywhere". Unfortunately the two magnets both fell out of their holes and stuck to each other - fiercely. They wouldn't stay in their holes, they kept popping out and being drawn to each other. How do you affix a magnet to plastic? My husband wanted to keep it for the light, I wanted to return it for the non-existent magnetic function. We still have it but the magnets are put away somewhere and not attached to the item.

2.0 out of 5 stars Magnets fall out, February 9, 2013
Being a dad with two toddlers, I find this item quite dangerous. I used it once to do repairs on my car. As soon as i took the lights off my car, I noticed BOTH magnets were still stuck to my car. No, i didn't use it on a hot surface.
In the world of pediatrics, swallowing two magnets of this power could be fatal. If you have small children, or know stupid adults who like to swallow magnets, please keep this in mind.
I am mulling over reporting this to some governmental safety agency, but since this isn't marketed to kids etc...I think that may be a bit frivolous to do...

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with product and with Amazon Prime, February 9, 2014
only one bulb comes on, one other will flash occasionally. Have to remove batteries to turn off. Can't return after 30 days - I do not recommend this product. There are too many reliable ones out there...keep shopping!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to snuff., August 16, 2014
I was disappointed some. Would prefer the lights were closer together and the whole thing smaller. I don't use it as much for the intended purpose. Twice the lights and smaller or more compact would be more to my liking. Also noticed if it is bumped slightly the light goes off and have to restart it. The battery cover comes off easily. Using a rubber band to keep it on.

Risk Racing 00-115 FLEXiT Ultra Flexible Hands-Free Flashlight
$29.99
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.