"Asking the Right Question" by Randy Gage, Author of Risky Is the New Safe
Here's a sampling of some near-future scenarios--and some of the questions they raise. Most important is knowing the difference between asking the wrong question, versus the better one you should ask instead. The risk takers who ask--and are then able to answer--these questions, will be the next generation of dot-com billionaires, political leaders and entrepreneurial visionaries. Questions for Society as a Whole:
Questions for Entrepreneurs and Leaders:
- Wrong question: What percentage of GDP should a country's deficit be?
- Better question: Is there some reason to think the laws of arithmetic don't apply to governments?
Questions for Marketers:
- Wrong question: Will the euro really collapse?
- Better questions: When the euro collapses, what will that mean for other currencies? And what will those currency fluctuations mean for the value of precious metals? What will happen to the value of precious metals when asteroid mining makes it cheaper to bring them to earth than mine them from the earth?
Questions for Parents & Educators:
- Wrong question: How do I protect my brand?
- Better question: Since it's virtually impossible to protect a brand in the new space, what are the best ways to harness social media and web 3.0 to monitor and influence our brand real time?
- Wrong question: Where will we find the money for our kid's college education?
- Better question: Is there a six- or nine-month certification program would be more lucrative to my child than an MBA or even a PhD degree?
From the Inside Flap
The financial system is in shambles, disruptive technology is eliminating millions of jobs, and entire economies are failing. Things have changed and they're never going back. This calamitous transformation is creating new and more daunting challengesand great opportunities.
Risky is the New Safe lays out thought leader Randy Gage's bold vision for how to prosper in the new economy. Gage reveals the tumultuous changes taking place in business, technology, and the economyand the extraordinary challenges they are creating. More importantly, he shows how to turn those challenges into lucrative opportunities.
You'll learn which jobs and business models will disappear forever, and how to position yourself to thrive in the emerging business cycles. You'll discover how to think differently and develop the same mindset the world's highest achievers harness for success.
From monkeys replacing human laborers to cloning, ocean-floor real estate development to asteroid mining, virtual-reality sex to holosuites, Gage provides fascinating insights into what the future holds and how people and companies can best prepare for it. You'll discover why following conventional thinking will lead to failure, and how becoming a contrarian and critical thinker will allow you to create wealth.