5.0 out of 5 stars *THE* Test for Accurate Enneagram Typing
The Enneagram was a fortuitous and happy discovery for me several years ago, going wonderfully beyond the hocus pocus of "human potential" and "self-realization" psycho-babble -- to coherently integrate, in a series of compelling explanations, a whole range of seemingly disparate parts of one personality.

To oversimplify, the Enneagram concept is one of 9...
Published on May 10, 2003 by J. Winokur

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but ...
Published on July 16, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but ..., July 16, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator (RHETI, Version 2.5) (Paperback)
Don Riso and Russ Hudson are superb writers and teachers - their books are highly regarded, and deservedly so. But their test is a different matter; the advertised accuracy figures (85%, according to one source) are actually for internal-consistency, not correctness. Somewhat deceptively, this crucial distinction is not apparent until one has already bought the product - for example, it is not noted in the advertising on this site. Internal consistency is certainly important, but most Enneagram tests have a high internal consistency (the WEPSS by Jerry Wagner is even better than the RHETI on this measure). And internal consistency is not the same as accuracy (for example, conspiracy theories are often internally-consistent without being accurate.) At least one Ph.D. dissertation (by Josie Dameyer) notes that another test - the Stanford Enneagram and Discovery Inventory and Guide (SEDIG, now called the "Essential Enneagram Test") may be more likely to give the correct Enneagram type.

I should add that I'm not affiliated, financially or otherwise, with any of the authors mentioned in this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars *THE* Test for Accurate Enneagram Typing, May 10, 2003

To oversimplify, the Enneagram concept is one of 9 personality types, complete with its own vocabulary, and subtypes classified

a) by degrees of healthy (integrated) vs. unhealthy (not integrated) states we each travel through at different times; and

b) by each person's closeness also to some type other than her principal type ("wings").

The RHETI ("Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator") analysis attempts to classify by how we have felt "during most of our lives", whether or not it is our feeling at the moment the test is taken. A sensible approach, once you understand and accept this one guideline.

This RHETI series of "forced choice" questions is THE only Enneagram test I have ever seen, taken or "administered" to others I care for, which seems to ask the truly difficult questions, revealing type most accurately. "Forced choice" is lingo for a testing method that requires that no question on the "test" go unanswered. The "test taker" *must* choose an answer from test's exact two choices offered for a question -- i.e., ways s/he have typically felt throughout his/her life -- even though (as is fairly often the case for everyone) both proposed answers seem may equally and totally inapplicable and foreign ....or equally and totally 'right on'. Choices between such puzzling options are telling, like no others can be.

I knew I was 'on to something' when, after trying the RHETI on my kids, family, friends and lovers, I dared try it on my... MOTHER! What greater insight could a son ever hope to have than to gain the Enneagram sort of insight into my dear, complex Mom's personality and her psychological underpinnings?!!! So I was full of anticipation as I began to take Mom -- age 88, and still sharper than anyone she knew -- through the questions. After a few of the "forced choice" questions, she squirmed uncomfortably, stopped abruptly and declared with finality: "I don't like this test!" She'd not allow me to ask even one more question. By the time she died not too long later, I still had no Enneagram answer to my maternal puzzle!

Raised in a world aware (by whatever name) of at least some psychological perspectives, most of us do just fine over the hour or so required for thoughtfully answering all Qs, despite momentary, mild discomfort with the tough choices. The exercise can generate lots of laughter and side discussion! It could almost remind someone of that odd board game from in the early 70s -- "Group Therapy"! But this exercise is actually useful. The results are uncanny, and each person can then use their "type" to learn about how parts of their personality work and fit together.

There is a large literature on Enneagram analysis. Helen Palmer The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others In Your Life; The Enneagram in Love and Work: Understanding Your Intimate and Business Relationships seems to be the senior stateswoman in the field, and she is very sharp. But I find her descriptions overly pessimistic and austere. Claudio Naranjo brings a very different, original and more sophisticated perspective from South America. In Enneatypes in Psychotherapy: Selected Transcripts of the First International Symposium on the Personality Enneagrams, Naranjo heads a gathering of 9 therapists, each representing a unique point on the Enneagram, who come together with the express purpose of seeing how they each relate to one another.

However, Riso & Hudson -- these guys -- are more to my liking in all they write. The Wisdom of the Enneagram: The Complete Guide to Psychological and Spiritual Growth for the Nine Personality Types Different analysts 'name' these types differently, and the subtleties of the analysts' differences are interesting in and of themselves.

As a "Type 4" myself. I can now see how my interest with aesthetics, music and the Arts fits with my attraction to high drama, my ability to empathize with a friend in distress, or my recurrent feeling that life's rules were 'just not meant to apply to me', the outsider ... and a host of other peculiarities I did not understand about myself. I also have come to understand better under Enneagram analysis how some of the very same characteristics which work a certain way when my life is going well can subtly transform when the going gets rough and I am feeling far less "together". The often surprising light and shadow of each trait are here beautifully illuminated

I have seen "quickie tests" for determining your type, including several on the web. (Look in Google under "Enneagram" for a ton of on-line stuff) The "quickies" are, well, like "quickies" generally -- empty and dissatisfying. Instead, I recommend this more thorough test as the very best I have seen. It is a supremely useful entry into a fascinating and often brilliant field of thought, well worth the time of any person interested in understanding how people tick.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good test, but you have options in this area....., May 2, 2006
This is a very good Enneagram test, but the price is steep and you can get the test along with an introductory book to the Enneagram by buying Riso and Hudson's book "Discovering Your Type." Going this route is even less expensive than buying this pamphlet. You can also take the test online at Riso and Hudson's website. Unfortunately, they do not offer the same test in their book "The Wisdom of the Enneagram," however; the mini-tests that begin each chapter are useful for differentiating out scores that approximate each other on this test.

If you are having difficulty typing yourself, I also recommend that you look at the childhood patterns in "The Wisdom of the Enneagram" and read all the types and notice which one tends to trigger you emotionally. Being triggered emotionally is often a sign that you are really on the trail of your type.

Sometimes it's difficult to work out your type quickly. If you fall into this category, then it is useful to look at the ego delusions of each type and work through them keeping in mind how you resemble each of them in some way. The Enneagram is a tool for self growth and eventually your type will become clear if you are patient and keep an open mind. Even Riso and Hudson clearly indicate that their test is only about 80% reliable for typing people, which is my experience in working with people.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rhiso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator, October 5, 2007
I was quite disappointed with this. It claims to be 'scientifically validated', yet I found that for many of the pairs of statements I, and those I tested it on, could easily have chosen either one as true of ourselves - or each as true in different circumstances. For example, the first pair of statements reads "I've been romantic and imaginative"; "I've been pragmatic and down to earth". Haven't most of us been both at different times? I certainly have. I did the test a number of times, giving slightly different answers - because both options seemed equally relevant - and was 'diagnosed' on different occasions as radically different personality types. Having had some experience of working with the enneagram, I knew some of these diagnoses to be wildly out. It's also very easy to tell where the pairs of questions are leading, and so be subtly influenced to answer in a particular way - in other words it's really easy to cheat oneself. For example, asked to choose between "I have sometimes put people off by being too aggressive," and "I have sometimes put people off by being too 'up-tight'" - no prizes for guessing which way both those statements tend. And what if neither fits? I think the truth is that it is only possible to tell which personality type you are by talking face to face with someone really experienced in this field. It's just not possible to devise a fixed questionnaire which is subtle enough. I would suggest you can get a much better idea of your own or someone else's personality type by reading the detailed descriptions on the website, or better still, finding a living practitioner. So as a practical tool, I don't rate this very highly at all, I'm afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and Unambiguous, Significance and Depth, April 4, 2006
OAKSHAMAN "oakshaman" (Algoma, WI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
When I decided to accurately determine my enneagram type this was the test that I chose. Personally, I found it to be both perceptive and unambiguous. None of the 144 questions didn't seem to "fit"- I was able to answer them with certainty. It was obvious that something of significance and depth was being ascertained here.

As for the accuracy, all I can say is that I've also had the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator professionally administered more than once (INFJ) and it agreed with the commonly accepted correlation with type 4 on the enneagram. Plus, from what I've read so far, the healthy and evolving type 4 seems to closely fit my own path.

What interested me in the enneagram in the first was its historical connection with Pythagoras, Socrates, Plato, and the Neo-Platonists. Apparently the symbolism also passed through the Sufi tradition, as did so much of Greek esoterism.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing, June 5, 2014
I love tests like these, but my scores on four of the personality styles were exactly equal -- the top four scores were all 20. When I went back to look at them, even with changing any I wasn't absolutely sure on, I still had two equal top scorers. I think this might be useful in addition to finding a professional who has worked with the Enneagram, but didn't work for me on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate beyond belief!, December 18, 2013
A therapist suggested I take this test and he gave me the book, the Wisdom of the Enneagram to go with it. After I scored my test, I gave it to him to make the chart, and then we discussed it. I read the book afterwards. I have never met anyone like me, so I was stunned to see I was a "personality type" with sub-types. THe first time I read my personality type, the highest score I received on the test, I was stunned to see the depth of the persona they were describing, and it was me to a tee. During the first reading, I was shamed, embarrassed, felt vulnerable, exposed naked to the world. But I am 54, I know myself very well, and it was all true. The next two times I read it, more sunk in. In any event, the amount of detail and depth they provide to the personality type is in itself astonishing. It was as though psychologists had been studying me all of my life and then wrote about me. My next highest score was a different personality type, but that type is a lot of me as well. What is interesting in this book is that they show if the person in this personality type has integrated well what traits you will see, and if they have disintegrated, what other traits you will see. I would think if you were part of a couple, you would learn the deeper side of your partner by doing this test separately, creating your individual chart, and then reading about your types in Wisdom of the Enneagram. Clearly the founders of the test know me better then I know myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars good test, April 10, 2013
this is the good basic test, although I thought there would be more to it, as in description and commentary on the types

5.0 out of 5 stars ennegram, October 4, 2012
i bought this book when i was studying the ennagram. very interesting. very accurate. It explains all the diffent 9 numbers.

4.0 out of 5 stars riso hudson enneogram type indicator version 2.5, December 20, 2009
I am happy with my purchase
though I am surprised it was only a test and not a book.

The Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator (RHETI, Version 2.5)
The Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator (RHETI, Version 2.5) by Don Richard Riso (Paperback - August 15, 2000)
$10.00 $9.50