Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on March 12, 2010
I highly recommend this little notebook for data collection or quick note taking. Fits in most pockets, is highly durable, and is fairly rigid. However, using waterproof pens in a downpour can get messy. I expect the ink to run, but if you are not careful, it is possible for the Rite in the Rain pens to actually bleed through the paper. I am not criticizing this product, though - it goes far beyond the call of duty for field notebooks and will retain data for a long time for reference. I do bird census counts from waist-deep in tidal salt marsh in any weather and draw detailed diagrams of sea life on rocks in the water up to 20 meters from shore at low tide, so I put my notebooks through the worst conditions pen and ink could be subjected to. The only thing I've found to outperform the Rite in the Rain journals is making my own notebooks out of National Geographic's waterproof paper to print GPS and topo maps on, which gets expensive.
on February 1, 2011
I use mine in a restaurant kitchen, where I regularly get soaked with water. It's the perfect thing for keeping recipes safe through water and wear.

Does exactly what it claims to: when combined with special pen, allow writing in or under water, with no bleeding, and at any angle. The paper is thick and durable, and with the plasticized cover, lasts through a lot of wear, moreso than my Moleskine memo book.

The only complaint is that when the paper gets worn from enough time in a pocket, the coating on the paper will come off a little bit, permitting some water in. In this state it is slightly more fragile and susceptible to bleeding ink. However, this water contained a sanitizer solution that may have caused or exacerbated the problem.
on January 27, 2010
Really tough, this little noteboks indeed are made to outdoors. The paper is heavy and ultra durable, I've got the first sample 17 years ago!, and it is as good as new (except, ofcourse, for a few scratches and wrinkles in the cover). Writing over it with a simple pencil is enough to make the trick, but if you like ink better use the all-weather pens sold by the same company or you will be unable to write anything!
on September 30, 2011
I love these books. I do a lot of camping and hiking here in western nc and I bring these with me to jot notes about waterfalls and camp sites I find. These are the best as I can write on them without worry of them getting wet. Even in a down pour I can jot down quick notes for reference later.
on October 29, 2013
I enjoy being able to carry these around in my back pocket so I can jot down notes to myself when needed.

I don't remember seeing it in the description, but you either need to use a pencil or one of the Rite In The Rain pens for this. I originally got a fountain pen to use for note-taking and the ink just slides right off the page (which makes sense if I'd given it more forethought).
on January 22, 2013
This is a good note pad and is as described. I do like it.

If for some reason, you subject your paper to a lot of water or write on wet paper often this is great.

However, I thought I would use it more in wet conditions than I actually did, so I don't justify the extra cost, for my use. I can usually keep my paper dry enough or just flip to a drier page of a standard pad.
on December 3, 2013
Pages are very sturdy. The paper doesn't accept ink / pencil quite as nicely as other paper, but to be expected, right? I have been carrying in my purse for notes. Very robust. Also it makes me feel sort of like I am a field scientist on assignment.
on October 10, 2015
I love "Rite in the Rain" products. I purchased this for taking notes during a recent photo trip to South Africa. Fit nicely in most pockets and was durable to hold up for the entire trip, no problem.
on March 21, 2014
I always carry a notebook in my back pocket and have never had one stand up to more than a few months of punishment and then I found these. The notebooks can withstand riding in my pocket, getting washed, rain, and whatever else I can imagine without even an ink smear. I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER BRAND!
on May 8, 2012
This notebook really is waterproof. You can write on it with a regular ballpoint, or a pencil and run it under the sink and it's perfect. I have to say I'm surprised and amazed. I bought an all-weather pen which I had to return, this may not mean anything. Rite in the Rain however took the return IMMEDIATELY, I mean they were quick about it. This is too expensive to waste on grocery lists and you'll want to save it for occasions really where you need it. They have different sizes, for birders and fishermen and guys out in the forest (and the trees!). I like having it near the pool to write out workouts. I think the all-weather pen may be a bad bet but the fisher space pen seems to have an agreement to sell in conjunction with these notebooks. If you have someone in the military this is the PERFECT item to ship out to Afghanistan. It would seem as if every soldier could potentially enjoy journaling. Sometimes you just need a decent pen and paper and these are made to fit in cargo pockets. They have "kits" that come with a pen, the notebooks, and a canvas bag to carry it all in. Plus the website shows notebooks lost in ponds for weeks, and the stuff is still very legible and that's kind of fun to look through. No weather is too tough from the looks of it. Boats. They have index cards (which is what I should have gotten for myself)--waterproof. Really intense duct tape, just different things. This pen was horrible but I think this is a rave.