Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 3 Pack Rite in the Rain All Weather Tactical Pocket Notebooks 3" x 5" - Tan
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on May 12, 2013
This is the best way to buy these notebooks. This is my 3rd order of these notebooks. After using these here in Arizona in the summer I will not carry or use a regular notepad. I am an AC Tech and have to write things down all the time. You work around cooling towers and you stand a chance of getting wet sometimes, or perhaps drop your notebook and it gets wet. Also a regular notebook gets wet in your pocket from sweating. The Rite in the Rain Pocket Notebooks are not effected by moisture. I would also recommend purchasing a Fisher Space-Tec pen or one of the other verities of Fisher pens along with the Rite in the Rain Tactical Notebooks. It makes a good combination. The ink cartridges are pressurized and will write in any position and even in water. But one word of warning. Do not let anyone borrow your space pen, people have a habit of not returning them because they write so well.
on May 12, 2013
You are paying a premium for these waterproof memo pads but you get what you pay for. Rite in the Rain averages about $5 a pad but they are cut and assembled well, open easily, and have a good feel to the paper. They come in two colors tan and green (really military tan and olive). I prefer the lighter tan colored version due to the slightly better contrast with dark inks. All edges are smooth and no sharp or pointy parts to the covers on these memo pads. The pads don't pry open like the similar (and cheaper) Cosmos waterproof memo pads (also sold in packs of three). There is an attention to quality and detail to Hesse pads.

Given they are waterproof, you have to use certain inks to write. Gel pens will not work with this pad. Best results are permanent marker or pencil. I've had good results with Uniball power tank pens and jetstream pens. No uniball sigmo pens as they are water based inks. Fountain pens are basically a no no.

I've tried two other waterproof pocket sized pads. One was branded MeMo from a Hong Kong stationary store names stationeryart that were very nice. Those cost $2.75 plus S&H. The paper was a little thinner but felt a little nicer the the rite in the rain branded ones and had an integrated elastic band to keep the memo pad closed. It also had a nice fit and finish.

The other was the Field Notes brand Expedition series. These are made of Yupo Synthetic Paper which is waterproof and tear proof. It is extremely durable with a simple design. They are sold in packs of three for $9.95 plus S&H.

As long as you're fine with the price, the Rite in the Rain memo pad are of high quality with excellent fit and finish. Easily besting the Cosmos waterproof memo pad also sold here on Amazon. Samples of all the pads were left submerged in a sink under weights for a half hour with no notable problems, damage, or deformations. Except for the Field Notes Expedition Series all paper soaked significantly but never tore and dried very quickly. Since the Field Notes Expedition Series is made of Yupo Synthetic Paper which is actually recycled plastic, the paper does NOT get soaked but it is the hardest to write on given you're writing on plastic.
on March 30, 2016
Having a military member and a law enforcement officer in the family is a good thing...just like these waterproof small notebooks. They are small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. When they tell you these are waterproof they are not kidding. Yes, I have put them thru the laundry (both the washing machine and the dryer) and when I realized what I had done I didn't feel too badly. The writing was still on each page! these notebooks are nothing short of magical.
on October 1, 2013
Rite in the rain products are amazing. They withstand the abuse of being packed and repeated pulled out for use. They weather storms, rivers, humidity and still stand strong.
on December 28, 2015
These notebooks are perfect for anyone working outdoors. I've been purchasing these for years for myself and my boyfriend, and each of us have had several jobs working outdoors and where he needs to take notes, including an EMT, environmental scientist, and building inspector. My company typically provides the larger field book sized, but I like these for quick notes and just having on me in general. These are convenient to carry and pocket sized. The top flip design makes them easy and quick to use. The outer covers are also fairly durable, taking plenty of abuse from being shoved in a pocket or tossed onto the nightstand (and I know at least one has taken a ride in the washing machine). The covers also have a bit of useful information, including inches and centimeter rulers on the back cover, and conversion table on the inside back.

I'll note these aren't 100% waterproof. Don't expect that. What these actually do is allow you to write despite the water on your page. If you've tried taking notes on regular paper once any kind of precipitation hits, you know it's impossible to leave a mark, and repeated attempts just end up destroying the paper. These will get wet, but yours notes will get taken!
on April 30, 2014
I have been using Rite in the Rain products since I learned of them on active duty in 1992 and find these are the BEST pads that you can get. They put up with a LOT of abuse and all kinds of weather conditions and even after over 20 years the first pad still is readable and USABLE still - can't say that about ANY other notepad I used in the field lol

Rite in the Rain products are WORTH every penny spent - QUALITY that LASTS

PLUS they are PROUDLY MADE IN THE U.S.A . BE AMERICAN - BUY AMERICAN

SUPPORT OUR ECONOMY ! and be able to document it forever using Rite in the Rain products
on November 18, 2014
These notebooks are very nice to have one working outside I spent a few summers working as a park ranger and when you had to take notes in the rain these come in very good use. The only downside is you have to choose your pen carefully as for some ink does not fully adhered to the paper but pencils we're good and some ball point pens work fairly well on them as well just not fine Ink
on October 23, 2015
Bought these to use on patrol when its raining. They are too expensive to use daily so I keep them in my unit so if it raining I have something to write on when you have to get information on a wreck in the rain. I use a Zebra pen but added the pressurized ink refill to write on these and haven't had any problems writing on them in the rain. I haven't tried a pencil like what's recommended but have had no need to. They feel very similar to a normal sheet of paper with what I assume is a thin layer of wax over them. I understand the company gives LEO and military discounts if you go through them directly however I never tried and bought them on Amazon due to being extremely impatient.
on May 21, 2014
I am a police officer and have used these very often to, well. write in the rain on them. Whether at a crime scene, accident or general complaint. Do what they say they do and WORTH the money. Anyone here had a field notebook ruined by weather? I did, and that's what caused me to try these. Highly recommended.
on April 27, 2015
These small 3x5 inch notebooks are an essential item for my car. The notebooks are actually designed to stand up to writing that is done in the rain, which I presume is in conjunction with the Rite in the Rain pens that work great when sitting in a car in freezing or extremely hot weather. The pages will not disintegrate, nor will the writing run and fade. I keep the pens and these pads in my car at all times, in multiple locations, as I frequently need them when I am simply in need of a pen and paper when stepping out of my car. The pens and pads are highly reliable, no more pen failures when pulling a pen out after hot or cold weather. It's an essential item.