4.0 out of 5 stars Great Kettle - had it for years
Published on August 9, 2008 by Michelle Harlan

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaks!
This product is faulty. I bought one, and with in a week it started leaking, so I returned it for another one. A few days later this one started leaking too! The scary thing is that it leaks right where the power chord comes out. I'm guessing this can't be safe. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!
Published on March 1, 2012 by Scott Tyler Harding

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Kettle - had it for years, August 9, 2008
This review is from: Rival Hot Pot Express (Kitchen)
I've had this electric kettle for several years, specifically for the use of boiling water for tea. It has very basic functions - warm or boil - just add your water to the desired measuring line marked on the inside of the unit, plug it in and wait. The construction is sturdy and well-made. I think it's a great product for what I use it for. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a light to show you that it's on or an auto-off feature. If you forget to unplug it, the unit stays hot - which is why I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars. Other than that, I highly recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps you had a faulty item?, August 26, 2003
Megumi Takahashi (Lexington, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival Hot Pot Express (Kitchen)
Perhaps you had a faulty item, bulmabriefs144? I had the fortune of having a friend with this particular teapot during my first semester at school, and am now quite happy to have one of my own. I have found that it does indeed heat the maximum volume of water at a higher speed than a microwave, and is ideal for making things like pot noodles and cup soups.
I've never tried it with leftovers, but if you wish to boil water, this inexpensive teapot is more than worth the scant few dollars you pay for it. The design could be more attractive, but over all this is a functional product.

4.0 out of 5 stars I had one of these, September 13, 2006
This review is from: Rival Hot Pot Express (Kitchen)
I must say that for the price, this is a very versatile item. I actually figured out how to cook spagetti in it. First you boil the water, then put in the pasta. Set it to the warm knob until tender. And you can also heat up your sauce. A real lifesaver on weekends when the university cafeteria was closed =-). I was really sad when it stopped working, but it lasted me through my first year, until I moved out of the dorms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hide glue pot, January 29, 2012
Paul Helbert (Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival Hot Pot Express (Kitchen)
My new Rival Hot Pot Express would not control temperature below about 160 F at lowest setting when it came. I dismantled it to see how I might adjust it for the 145 to 150 F range I needed, and found that there is an adjustment screw hidden behind the control knob inside the shaft. To get at it, I removed the three rubber feet, took out the screws hidden under them, pulled the bottom partially away and removed the set screw which holds the knob in place. Then looking into the control shaft, I had access to the little adjustment screw. I gave that about a third of a turn clockwise. (The screw is quite tight, I used locking pliers on a jeweler's screwdriver for leverage). On reassembly, I now have 150F right in the center of the dial.

Another way to get at the adjustment screw might be to drill into the shaft dead center through the knob, but this method has a couple of potential problems. One is that it mars the knob, the other is that it might be easy to drill too far and hit the screw with the bit.

I am not recommending you do this. If you do, I did not tell you to do it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaks!, March 1, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous!, October 5, 2008
This review is from: Rival Hot Pot Express (Kitchen)
My 90-year-old dad has this pot, and I'm getting him a different one, ASAP! The lid falls off when the pot is tipped up to pour out the last of the water, which is certainly a hazard. Holding the lid on isn't advisable, either, because it heats up along with the water, and becomes too hot to touch. Worse, even with the lid on "securely", steam excapes and burns your hand as you pour. Add to that the health concerns about ingesting anything cooked or heated in plastic. My recommendation: Stay away from this one!

1.0 out of 5 stars may be unhealthy to drink the water, March 23, 2012
The Sunbeam Express Hot Pot had a black disc-like surface in the middle of the pot. After using it several times I saw black specks floating in the water. I thought drinking those specks might be unhealthy. I discorded mine.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS HOT POT!, September 8, 2012
I had bought this last november as a way to make tea really quick. You have to guess on if the water is boiling or not because all it does is hiss at you. Then, just last weekend, it also decided to shoot a load of sparks at me from the venting underneath. Way to go, Sunbeam. Didn't even last me a year and nearly set my kitchen on fire. HUGE waste of money. If you want a good kettle, it's better to splurge on something better and MUCH safer. I ended up using some of my saved up funds to get a Zojirushi Gold Hot Water Dispenser instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10+ years of satisfaction, December 19, 2009
T. Colban (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival Hot Pot Express (Kitchen)
I was making a cup of tea this morning to soothe my sore throat during these winter months, and I had a sudden revelation: I have had this hot pot for over ten years now, and it has never failed me. I often look at product reviews for items before I buy them, and I'm usually skeptical because one never knows how long a reviewer has had the product. "Sure it's cheap, but how long will it last me?" I often think. I felt compelled to share my wonderful experience with this basic item.

I purchased it in August of 1999 before going to college. It served me well on many drunken nights of making cup of noodle, ramen, and the like. I used it purely to boil water, and also to cook the ramen in the hot pot itself. As the only Brit in my dorm, it was also a great way for me to make tea without having to trudge over to the dining hall. Since then it has moved 4 or 5 times with me, never getting damaged. It's tough. I still use it for ramen when I need a quick food fix, I use it several times a week to make tea, or if I'm boiling water for jello.

It heats water quickly (I turn it on while making lunch for work, and it's ready in a few minutes), the lid clips on nicely, it's easy to clean. I honestly can't think of any complaints I have with this item, and for the $10 or so that I paid for it back in the day, I struggle to think of any other cheap, basic item that I've had this much success with.

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money and plastic, April 4, 2013
Anthony Marcon (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Only buy this item if you want hot water to leak everwhere. I won't every buy a product from this company again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›