5.0 out of 5 stars Rival Rice Cooker-Screw Bell's and Whistles!
Several hours of my life were wasted pondering what rice cooker to purchase. There are dozen options available and I too was originally getting sucked into the though larger price tag =better rice, how wrong I was. Simple, easy to use, affordable and perfect brown rice on the first try (no easy task). Save your money for Vegas, this is all you need.
Published on November 8, 2006 by J D Matthews

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great
Published on March 20, 2007 by Diane

5.0 out of 5 stars Rival Rice Cooker-Screw Bell's and Whistles!, November 8, 2006
J D Matthews (Sunny California) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the Price, November 18, 2006
This review is from: Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker, Red (Kitchen)
I just got this today and made my first batch of rice. I think the cooker did a pretty good job. However, if you don't stir it towards the end of the cooking time or when most of the water has evaporated, the rice will brown on the bottom. So it's not a set it and forget it operation. But I like the cooker since I can saute onions and garlic in the bowl before adding the rice. I made a modified version of the chicken and spinach risotto recipe that comes with the cooker, and it turned out really good. I used regular long grain rice, a handful of frozen cut spinach, and added steamed shrimp which I steamed in the basket while the rice was cooking. The cooker automatically switches to warm once the water has evaporated but more water can be added and the cycle restarted if necessary. I think I will find this very useful for making quick one pot meals.

To help keep the starch from bubbling up and spraying out of the vent hole, rinse the rice thoroughly and drain. Heat a small amount of olive oil in the rice bowl, once the oil is heated, carefully add the rice and saute it for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the water and continue cooking. Rinsing alone will not prevent the starch from accumulating. I'm not a food scientist and I can't offer a scientific explanation, but something happens to the starch when the rice is sauteed or lightly toasted before steaming and it won't bubble up and out of the vent hole. For a change of pace, I saute onions and garlic in the bowl first and then just put the rice in and saute it along with the other ingredients before adding the water. To jazz it up a bit, I may add a pinch or two of turmeric (to make the rice yellow) to the water and a handful of peas. The possibilities are endless with this little cooker.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first rice cooker...I love it, July 16, 2006
Sarah P (Indianapolis) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker, Red (Kitchen)
I have eyed rice cookers for years but have bought one because I did not want to find a place to store it in the kitchen. When I saw this little red one Target, I picked it up on a whim. I love it!. I've had it for a few months and probably use it at least 3 times a week. My favorite is to make Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley with vegtable or chicken broth and then steam some vegtables and salmon or fish the last 10 minutes or so. Season differently every time. Makes enough for dinner for 2 and at least one lunch for work the next day. Nothing special but always hits the spot, is easy and requires no thought or planning-- a good default meal. This cooker is easy clean-up, no mess, can't over-cook. I'm anxious to try new recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love rice get this gadget........, August 12, 2006
This review is from: Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker, Red (Kitchen)
Rice has always been something I liked, white rice that is. Now that I'm on southbeach diet white rice is out but brown and wild rice is in for phase two and three. If you've ever tried to cook wild rice from scratch you know it takes a loooooonnnnggg time to cook properly. I like a mix of rices with the wild rice so what I do is put the wild in here first cook it for a half hour then put the brown rice in the same pot with it, add more water (one to one according to book directions but note that one mark in the cooker is more like a cup and a half in the measuring cup) and cook for the full 45 minutes recommended for the brown rice, I've made several batches this way always comes out great. I like a splash of olive oil and salt in with mine too, makes it taste even better. I love this cooker, rice on the stove or in the microwave cookers can be a little hit and miss sometimes, this toy is worth the sixteen bucks and comes with a veggie steamer basket too...don't know if I'll ever use it but it's nice to know it's there.

5.0 out of 5 stars more than a rice cooker, August 25, 2006
me (simi valley, ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker, Red (Kitchen)
I was looking for something to keep queso dip warm at a party. I saw this and it works great. I just throw in the ingredients and it is ready in a few minutes and keeps it warm for as long as I need it to. I have also used this several times for rice. It is great because I can leave part of the rice in there once done cooking to stay warm while I take the rest out to make fried rice. They are both warm and ready to serve at the same time. I got the rice cooker out of the cupboard the other day and dropped the lid. It is tempered glass so it shattered in tiny pieces. I am just glad that this is such an inexpensive item and will be getting a new one the next time I go to the store. My only regret is that I can't seem to find a replacement lid, it seems a shame to throw away a perfectly good appliance just because the lid broke.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great, March 20, 2007
Diane (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker, Red (Kitchen)
I'm surprised at how poorly this rice cooker works, considering all of the great reviews posted here. I followed the instructions provided, filling up the cooker with the appropriate amount of water & rice, and after about six uses, it hasn't cooked properly even one time. I always have to add about twice as much water. The manual also states that brown rice takes longer to cook, it should also say to add a lot more water. The cover doesn't seem to fit very well and inevitably, water collects on the outside of the lid while cooking.

Finally, rice always burns on the bottom because the unit gets so hot - it doesn't burn so that it's not still edible, but it becomes brown and a bit rubbery.

Overall, I'm not impressed with this unit at all and I would not recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect size rice cooker, January 9, 2007
Donna Kenworthy (Westlake Village, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker, Red (Kitchen)
I hesitated for years to buy a rice cooker because they are usually so big ..but this little dynamo is great. Doesn't take much counter or storage room BUT delivers great rice. I make brown rice most of the time and find that it requires just a little more water than the instructions would have you measure. Highly recommend this cute red appliance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Cheap, April 13, 2007
This review is from: Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker, Red (Kitchen)
I would have to say I had no problems cooking rice with this unit. It cooks rice allmost flawlessly everytime. You cant leave the warmer on too long though. For the Price you cant argue, but it is cheap. At around $14 you could replace it every year easy enough which is about what it needs. After 8 months of use the non-stick pan is flaking bad. Trust me a metal spoon as never touched this pan, we only use soft plastic spoons on it. Cleaning it, never been in the dishwasher, mild soap and sponge everytime. We use it quite often, everyday. The plastic hosing on the switch has cracked for no apparent reason. Again for the price its a great rice cooker, however next time I think I will try something better since we eat rice so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've lost your instructions/cup, look here -- simple and effective, October 4, 2008
This review is from: Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker, Red (Kitchen)
This is a very simple device that does its job very well: cooking rice for people who don't want or need to cook several cups at once. Do read the description and realize that its limit is six cups of COOKED rice, so you aren't going to get large capacity. However, it is perfect for two or three people.

Rival did a disservice to its customers by writing the instruction book in such a way that it makes you think you MUST use its squirrelly measuring cup and internal markings for the nonstick basket. You don't. All you need to do is put in a 2:1 ratio of water to rice. For two people, I cook 1 1/2 cups of dry rice to 3 cups of cooked rice, and get about 6 servings' of side dishes, or 1 night of side rice and 1 night of fried rice for 2.

That's all. Just put in rice and double the amount of water.

I wouldn't want to try to cook a lot more than 1 1/2 cups of dry rice, as at the top of the cooking cycle it was bubbling through the vent hole in the cover and probably would have made a mess on my counter if I'd done much more than that.

But it does what it does: throw in 1 1/2 cups brown rice, 3 cups water, turn to Cook, come back in 1 hour, and you have a pot of perfectly cooked rice. It spends 45 minutes on the Cook cycle, and 15 minutes on the Warm cycle, which yields rice that isn't too dry or too gloppy.

It's not fancy, and I probably would never use their included recipes. I don't intend to use it for steaming. But given how easy it is to cook rice in it without having to monitor it or turn down the burner or worry about boiling over, I'll probably make rice a lot more often.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simpler than it looks, December 16, 2007
This review is from: Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker, Red (Kitchen)
The instructions for this rice cooker make it sound like a chemistry set -- you're supposed to put rice in the special cup up to a certain number (like up to the "2" marker), then put the rice in the cooker, then add water up to the "2" line on the inside of the cooker. This gets frustrating if you lose the instruction book or the special cup. I'm here to say that it works just fine if you just put in twice as much water as rice (e.g. 1 cup rice, 2 cups water). I don't know why they bother with the special measuring cup and markings. So there's an easy work-around for those who are frustrated with that aspect of the cooker.

Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker, Red