Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: River Teeth: Stories and Writings
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 9, 2004
When DJD writes about a game of catch the ball burns my hand thru the mitt. When his story is about wading up a trout stream, my neck gets hot from the sun on it, I can hear the mosquitos whine, and my feet go numb from the cold water. He writes books that I could live in and I don't even play baseball. Or fish.
on August 3, 1998
On a long trip up and down the west coast I picked this book up in a shabby bookstore in the hills of San Francisco on a lonely rainy night. It gave me a strange and warm comfort as I battled my way through the vicous rain for the last two weeks of my trip. The book is erre in ways I cannot explain, simply because you read it and understand it so well. Everything Duncan describes has been a part of all our lives somewhere, somehow. This book deeply moved me, and though I was mearly 16 on that rainy night I can never escape the vivid imagery of Duncan's voice.
I read these stories several years ago. I still refer to many of them often in conversations. I particularly liked "Her Idiots", "Giving Normal the Finger" and "The Garbage Man's Daughter". Any time I am around a stream or river, including recently with a group in New Zealand, I tell people about Duncan's book and story "River Teeth". Then I go on to praise his other books, particularly THE RIVER WHY. Great writer! Great writing!
on April 26, 1998
River Teeth is a richly woven and intricate collection of short works. Duncan's writing is thick like poetry; his words are delictible. River Teeth explores the beauty of life through glimpses of nature, family, and human spirituality. Duncan is my favorite author and this is my favorite book.
on July 19, 2015
Duncan's writing, his story telling, is wonderful. The book led me unknowing to the essence of the stories opening up a path for me to actually experience at least one of its purposes. Frankly, at the end of the book, I was amazed to find myself more than remembering lost memories only to realize that's exactly where I was supposed to be. What a surprise. His writing spoke to a part of me that has lived silently a very long time; it left me feeling fluid, alive, green and very, very happy..
on February 17, 1999
I was a hitch-hikn' looking for Sissy out there somewhere and along comes this book with the upside down fish-hook on it and I finally had the term for my favorite piece of women's clothing (i.e. 'the upper tenth of a pair of levis').
Ten years later I was having babies and was reading The Brothers K with my son asleep on my chest.
Now, well beyond that divorce, I find "home" in David's stories in River Teeth. His attention to me not his characters is extremely evident through his writing. I can still get chills up my spine just thinking about that Oregon concert when the lightning and thunder peeled...
on July 14, 1998
If you laughed at the "River Why?" and cried over "The Brothers K" then you'll do much more with "River Teeth." You'll meet old friends and make new ones as well as learn who that wonderful writer, David Duncan, is. A truely wonderful book!
on May 4, 2007
This book is a collection of short non-fiction pieces and short fiction pieces. Although that combination is an unusual format for a book, it works well. Duncan is an outstanding writer and this book illustrates his talents. I love the book so much, I've bought several copies over the years to give to friends. All of the pieces are good, and every baseball fan or anyone who has a sibling should read "The Mickey Mantle Koan," included in the book.
on March 27, 2016
David James Duncan is a wonderful word-arranger of the English language. You should read his stuff. Right now. Seriously. Why are you still reading this review! What's wrong with you?! Don't you respect my opinion?! Go!

Okay... this is getting ridiculous. I told you read Duncan's books, and yet you're still here dinkin' around with my review. It's like you don't even respect my opinion. Like you're only here out of boredom, or-- you know what? Forget it! Just do what you want. Read it, don't read it. You'll miss out if you choose the later, but whatever. As long as you just turn off your computer and stop reading this review.

Seriously?

You're still here?

You could be outside, right now. You could be in the forest, listening to the trees. Go.
VINE VOICEon February 21, 2003
as I read this book. Although I don't like fishing (Duncan's favorite subject), I do like good stories. And Duncan knows how to write them. This book is easy to read because it is a compilation of short stories, albeit some better than others. But all the stories are worth reading at least once. And believe me, after the first time, you will be returning to read a few of the stories over and over. I know I did.