1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cannonball Blasts!, October 23, 2011
This review is from: Riverside Profiles (Audio CD)
I was looking for a Cannonball Adderley Album that had both 'This Here' and 'Jive Samba' (two of my favourites) and the only one I could find was on a live album called 'Dizzy's Business', however I wasn't too impressed with the recording quality. Upon further exploration I discovered this recently released (2006) compilation album from Riverside (one of the big three NY independent record producers...Blue Note and Prestige being the others). Now, I'm normally not a fan of the compilation album, as I like to hear the whole recording session from the same era, however this one really is good. It covers various sessions (some live and some studio) between 1959 and 1962 at a time when Cannonball was at his very best (fresh from the iconic 'Kind of Blue' sessions). 'Dizzy's Business' is brilliant as is 'The Work Song' (both supported by Nat Adderley on Cornet) and for a change of pace, Cannonball joins Bill Evans for 'Know What I Mean'. What certainly helps the whole album is the sound quality, which makes it feel as if it was recorded yesterday...what a blast!!

Riverside Profiles
Riverside Profiles by Cannonball Adderley (Audio CD - 2006)