Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: DVDChange

"Rizzoli & Isles" returns for a third fun season on TNT in the summer of 2012, featuring the often hilariously mis-matched partnership of Angie Harmon as street-wise Boston cop Jane Rizzoli, with Sasha Alexander as the highly intelligent but socially clueless medical examiner Maura Isles. Bruce McGill and Lee Thompson Young return as Vince Korsak and Barry Frost, Jane's partners on the homicide squad in the Boston Police Department.

Season Three offers much emphasis on the complicated family lives of Jane and Maura. In the very first episode, Jane and Maura must work through the issues created by Jane having shot Maura's gangster father at the end of Season Two. Jane's own father, estranged from her mother Angela (a priceless Lorraine Bracco), returns to create hate and discontent by demanding an annulment and parading a much younger girlfriend, who will get involved with another cast member, to the consternation of Jane and Maura. Maura, already hosting Jane's mother in her guest house, will have her own life complicated by the appearence of her long-lost biological mother and a sibling.

Each week, the plot centers around one or more police investigations, the resolution of which will have the team racing the clock to solve the crime and save a victim before show's end. Both Maura and Jane will be targeted by deadly opponents, creating a couple of especially suspenseful episodes. In between the dramatics, there is much good-humored razzing among the cast members. The show thrives off the interaction of Jane and Maura, who endlessly bang heads at work and then giggle like two sisters afterwards.

"Rizzoli & Isles" is good summer television, and fun to watch. Season Three is highly recommended to its fans.
0Comment48 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2013
Rizzoli and Isles love one another in a most profound way. They are a perfect team, a set of foils that bring out the best in their partnership whether it is on a professional or personal level. At both levels they do not always agree, but they recognize one another's strengths and support those while accepting their human stumbles. Each is beautiful in different ways and the dialogue among all the characters is outstanding. The swings between the criminal activities and what is going on in their private lives makes them more believable characters. The supporting cast doest just that, supports the activities of the main characters with the interplay of Jane Rizzoli with her parents and siblings, siblings who are on both sides of a set of jail bars; Maura Isles and her parents, biological and adoptive, tied in knots of a convoluted history. As a Californian transplanted from Beantown, I find that the glimpses of the city of Boston are nice touches. I have recommended the series to family and friends.
on February 3, 2013
This is a great show when they stick to stories and the relationship between Rizzoli & Isles; but the side stories of the baby and Jane's really unexplainable fixation on Casey (a character and actor I like, but where is the value added to the series?) and Maura's birth-mother wanting to establish a relationship with Maura for Maura's body parts. Really, you think these are good side stories? The season ender was awful, just awful. Second string story-lines and writing all the way! It was such a great show in the past, I really hope they can straighten this situation out! My daughter is giving up on the show, the seasons ender was such a huge disappointment. I do not understand why they have made such poor story decisions this year. I read somewhere that it is because Jane and Maura have such a strong relationship, they were afraid people would think they were gay. What are we in the 50s? Women can have a strong relationship and still be not be gay. Perhaps they should check their homophobia at the door and get back to writing exciting and interesting shows.
22 comments27 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2012
I have been a fan of numerous crime solving, law serving, interesting drama series over the years. I love the Rizzoli and Isles series because it is both serious with just the needed anti-tension insertion of humor. I look forward to the new episodes each week. Given my past interests in Law and Order (all of them), CSI (all of them),Bones, House, Suits, White Collar, Missing, Rookie Blue, Pushing Daises, Dead like me, Vampire Diaries, Switched at Birth, Teen Wolf, True Blood, Jane by Design, etc. you should be able to determine if you have similar interests.
11 comment8 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2013
I really enjoy this show and the actors on it. I was delighted to see Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander together since they are two of my favorites. This show is quite enjoyable. One warning, though - the show differs in many ways from the novels it is based on. I find that I really enjoy both the show and the Tess Gerritsen novels, in spite of the differences.
on December 5, 2012
I love the show. But I wish it was more like the books.Its a G rated show, The books are rated R.
on January 15, 2013
Great show, first couple of seasons were top quality writing, character development, depth of story - excellent! 3d season after ep. 4 or 5?? something changed - Jane (Angie Harmon) became a whiner, cried at the drop of a hat and became over-the-top emotional when her family or loved ones entered into the story line??? what happened to the tough, no nonsense Jane Rizzoli? She was great in an emergency, just the right amt of angst in family situations, and very rarely shed a tear in the first 2 seasons, this 3d season she became a wimp (sorry, Angie - the writing changed, not your fault). Poor Maura got colder and more disconnected until the ep. where she was kidnapped by Eddie Cibrian's character, after that she also became a wimpy, femme fatale??? Women are versatile, flexible, and very strong people and that was portrayed in the first couple of seasons. Many women are unflappable in times of crisis and emergencies - that was Jane & Maura during season 1 & 2, season 3 not so much
on March 17, 2013
Fun! A throw back to Cagney and Lacey. It's great! Much crime and laughter. If those two things can possibly go together.
on June 20, 2012
I have been watching this show since DAY 1; the series premiere back in July 2009 and I'm lovin it more and more as the seasons go on. Every episode is so awesome and every week I'm shocked and left with wanting more! Just when you think " Wow,that was absolutely amazing! What..I can't even explain how great that was!!", you see the next week's episode, and it's even better than the last. I will forever love this show. The cast is so very talented and the crew is as well. Bravo to Janet Tamaro too; this show is freakin genius!!
on February 4, 2013
I have been watching Rizzoli & Isles since its premiere 3 years ago, and every minute of each episode leaves me more enthralled than the last! With fantastic writing, heartwarming, witty humor, and a fabulous cast, R&I easily snags a spot in my very short list of all-time favorite shows!I cannot WAIT for season 4, nor can I wait to add season 3 to my DVD collection! It can only get better from here; bravo on another season well done!