1,184 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars My Results Support The Science Behind Retinoids
Published 2 months ago by K_Ward

1.0 out of 5 stars Hold your nose!
I was so looking forward to trying this. Don't, unless you so enjoy the piercing stink of perfume! If they had fragrance free, I would try again.
Published on December 13, 2011 by S. Schauer

4.0 out of 5 stars My Results Support The Science Behind Retinoids, December 28, 2014
I have spent a large majority of my 22 years in the New Mexican sun, and while I have been very good about sunscreen the last couple of years the sun damage of my youth has caught up to me and I found myself with 3 forehead wrinkles and a scattering of freckles and sunspots. While it might seem insignificant to some I hate to think what I'd look like at 40 if I already have signs of aging.
So I did a lot of research into proven wrinkle treatment and in my search I discovered something. There are millions, MILLIONS of products, home remedies, and concoctions that claim to prevent wrinkles, treat wrinkles, make them disappear, and do a number of other things. However the ONLY FDA APPROVED ANTI AGING INGREDIENT is the various strands of RETINOIDS. That doesnt mean that nothing else out there works, but it means that the only one that has enough strong scientific evidence to be considered a treatment for anti aging is products containing some type of retinoid. When you go to a dermatologist for wrinkle cream, you will very likely receive a prescription strength retinoid because it is proven to work.
What are retinoids exactly and what is the difference between the various types?
Retinoids are essentially vitamin A, their structures vary in each of the three generations but generally all the retinoids found in anti wrinkle creams are first generation. They are in fact natural ingredients found in plants and animals and we consume them in our daily diets. Researching the various types of retinoids for anti aging there are 3 things that pop up.: retinol, tretinoin, and retinoic acid. It took a while to decipher what each of them is and after reading a number of papers about them the short summary is this. Tretinoin is retinoic acid (its also known by its drug name Retin-A) and is the retinoid you will find in perscription cream. The difference between retinol and tretinoin (in relation to their usefulness) is simply their strength. Tretinoin is retinoic acid that is directly applied and effective where retinol is applied and your skin coverts it to retinoic acid to be used.
One of the dermatologist articles I read said she recommends anyone who considers a tretinoin to start with a retinol so you can build up to the full strength.
Retinol and Tretinoin have been found to treat a number of different skin conditions, including acne, wrinkles, stretch marks, and even some studies have been done on its effect on treating skin cancer.
How it treats wrinkles. When its applied your skin has cells that synthesize the retinoic acid and it increases cell turnover, thickens the skin, increases collagen production, Stimulates blood vessels in the skin, and reduces sun spots.
One thing to know though is if applied everyday results will not show for 3-6 months with best results in 6-12 months. So for everyone who says they've used it for a month and haven't seen results, they haven't been using it long enough, remember sun damage and wrinkles took years and years to appear and are not going to be undone in a month.
The way to apply the product is to spread evenly 30 minutes after washing your face, to ensure your face is completely dry. While I have found different reasons as to why it shouldn't be applied wet most articles say that it: decreases effectiveness, increases risk for side effects like dryness and pealing/scaliness, and one article says it doesn't matter if you apply it wet, but putting it on while your face is completely dry can't hurt. Retinoids also make your skin more sun sensitive, so sunscreen should be applied daily (which if your trying to undo sun damage and wrinkles anyway than you should be putting on sunscreen anyway to prevent even more damage)

Now finally for my personal results. I started using this product every night around 4 months ago and I have noticed a difference. My forehead wrinkles have almost completely disappeared, my sun spots have faded, and even my acne scars are less noticeable. For the price and effectiveness I would recommend this product. The only reason I do not give this product 5 stars is simply because it advertises itself as a deep wrinkle cream, and as I only have fine lines I cannot gauge its effectiveness on deep wrinkles.
I hope some of the information about gives you a little insight into retinoids, but please know this is only basic information gathered by an individual from various scientific articles. I am not a dermatologist and if I was to go into more detail about retinoids this review would be 10 times longer. If you want to know more you should do your own research and talk to your doctor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrinkle Reducing Miracle, December 27, 2012
I tried this cream after reading mixed reviews. I took into account all the various suggestions and felt like it still had a lot to offer me. Being middle aged, I have signs of aging in my face. I tried all kinds of other creams behind heading to this one. This one DOES THE TRICK! My skin is so much smoother and more youthful! I love how well it erases lines and dark marks on my face. I was careful not to put it too close to my eyes like others had mentioned. My cheeks and forehead were revived, but I still felt like my eyes were suffering. So many prescription creams carried the hefty price tag, so I turned to more suggestions online and landed on a different but inexpensive retinol cream to try for the circles and creases I'd developed around the eyes. With this product- Retinol Cream (Vitamin A) - 2 oz. + FREE St. Ives Renewing Collagen Elastin Advanced Body Moisturizer Gift Set- I felt I had a real shot.

It took about a week, but combining the deep correxion cream with the regular retinol cream seemed to be paying off. My eyes were filled in, lighter, and natural looking like the rest of my skin had already been from the night cream. It took 10 years off my appearance! I didn't have any of the flaking I'd read complaints about or irritation. My eyes were healthy. My skin looks young and I have all sorts of confidence again. Ladies, if you're in the middle of your life and running around like me, take my word for it. You won't be disappointed in retinol creams if you try them!

5.0 out of 5 stars I like this product, November 2, 2011
I HAVE BEEN USING THIS PRODUCT FOR OVER A YEAR NOW AND LOVE THE FACT THAT I AM 58 AND NO ONE BELIEVES MY AGE. I AM A PERSON WHO CLEANSES MY SKIN REGULARLY BECAUSE, I FEEL IT IS IMPORTANT IF YOU EXPECT A PRODUCT TO WORK WELL. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT AND GETTING IT THROUGH AMAZON MAKES IT AFFORDABLE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Found the trick for making this work with sensitive skin!, May 30, 2013
MB (New York) - See all my reviews
I love this product for fighting wrinkles, but it is so harsh. I have sensitive/dry skin (which of course, shows wrinkles the most) and being of "that certain age," my skin is extra dry and sensitive. I used this religiously, but ended up with my eyes almost sealed shut from a reaction to it and my skin burned, even when I limited my use to once or twice a week. Got rid of the wrinkles, but also got rid of my skin!! I won't give up using it, because it is amazing on wrinkles, but I recommend not using it every night - use it a couple of nights on, then a couple of nights off. My face would be red after using it this way, but not burned. A friend of mine recommended another skin care product - she's into organic - and told me to try Bel Essence (comes in an oil or cream, I used both - I've been buying it from their website but it's available here too)(Bel Essence Anti Aging Treatment - Intensive All Natural Anti-Wrinkle, Facial Lift Skin Care Formula - 1.5oz). This solved the reaction problem to Roc. Not only did it help my skin in general, but using it with Roc - no burning, no bad reactions. I talked to my doctor about it, and he told me that the natural oils in Bel Essence contain high amounts of Vitamin E and other nutrients that help the skin heal and stay healthy. If you love Roc (and I am a HUGE fan), I recommend using Bel Essence with it, to get the good effects of Roc without the bad. There are a lot of all natural skin creams out there, but this worked the best, and absolutely worked the best with Roc.

Quick update - for Roc burns, I found that the Bel Essence oil Bel Essence - (2oz) 100% All-Natural Organic Anti-Wrinkle Formula with Argan, Grapeseed and Sesame Oil works a little quicker in helping heal. Probably because it is 100% oil without the ingredients to turn it into a cream. So if Roc really burned your skin, the oil will help treat it more quickly.

Another quick update - my skin is fabulous now. Never thought it would look this good - the Roc has reduced my lines to minor marks that make up covers nicely, and my skin is soft, firm, and a lot brighter. This is a GREAT combo. I love the effect of the bel essence on my skin, the roc gets your skin to turnover faster, and the bel essence makes sure that the new skin is firm, smooth, soft and wrinkle free. I can't believe that a natural product work work this well - I expect it from the roc which uses chemicals, but I am amazed that ingredients from nature can so completely change my skin and make me look years younger!

Ok - so I just need to add another quick rave about the combination of roc and bel essence. I had deep crevices across my forehead - GONE - only the tiniest of lines that are easily covered with makeup. I now have NO LINES around my eyes, or on my upper lip. This combination is amazing. I've used the Roc alone for a long time and saw results, but when I added the Bel Essence, that's when I really saw results. And permanent results. I am so thrilled with my skin now!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good I Went to Work Today Without Makeup On for The First Time in 15 yrs., January 12, 2012
I've always laughed at the way moisturizers are marketed as having scientific-sounding properties with "visible results" so when I bought this, I was really only expecting a nice facial cream from a reputable company at a cheap price. I started using it 10 days ago and as expected, it seemed like a decent moisturizer but otherwise unremarkable. I completely forgot about the promise of "visible results" never having really expected them due to the low price. Then, about three days ago, I went to put on my makeup before work and stopped because it looked like I already had. I had to actually wipe a tissue over my face to reassure myself that no, I wasn't losing my mind--it was my bare skin. I can't believe it but after only a matter of days, my face looks like it did 15 years ago when I was 36. Back then, I had great skin and could get away with using a bare minimum amount of liquid makeup. As I got older, though, I had to use more and more to the point that by the time I was 50, I wouldn't be caught dead in public without makeup on. Today, I went to work without makeup for the first time in 15 yrs. Even my husband, who thinks beauty products are a scam and a waste of money, commented about it and he NEVER notices anything--not hair coloring or styling, new nails, pedicures, facials and professional makeup--nothing. This stuff is AMAZING. Add the price to the equation and it's really the best beauty product I think I have ever purchased. I read the review cautioning to not apply it around the eyes. That was not my experience. For the first week, the only place I applied it was around my eyes. Now I use it on my whole face. I am SOLD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful results, works as described, December 9, 2012
The most important thing to know before buying this is that retinol is a serious chemical. Its skin clearing properties were first discovered over 80 years ago but it used to require a doctor's prescription. Why? Because like I said, it's serious stuff. ;)

The version that's available in this tube isn't nearly as potent as what the pharmacy has. But it gets the job done. Retinol is one of the only chemicals that truly can reduce wrinkles.

Most products can only claim to reduce "the appearance" of wrinkles. They work only by plumping up skin to make it look more flat and also hydrating it so lines aren't so obvious. But as soon as you stop using it, the wrinkles will return.

Retinol actually can reduce wrinkles, and countless studies have confirmed it. But all great things come at a price. The downside of this miracle is that you'll turn into a vampire!

Retinol makes the skin extremely sensitive to the sun. Some people experience burning after only being in the sun 15 mins. while using retinol. So once you start using this, you'll have to be much more conscious of your skin.

Retinol is also pretty harsh. You may experience painful burning, redness, and itching after you start using this. It isn't RoC's fault, so don't get upset at them. It's the nature of retinol and the price you pay for youth. Once you adjust, you'll probably be fine unless your skin is too sensitive. If so, I think RoC offers a sensitive skin formula too, so I'd recommend that.

Now that I've thoroughly terrified you, let me tell you the good news--- It works! I've been wearing it nightly for 30 days now and I already see subtle changes in my wrinkles. It takes 12 weeks to really see a difference but most people should see some kind of results within the first 4 weeks. The box mentions 4, 8, 12 weeks so it's a gradual cycle of improvement.

12 weeks probably sounds like a long time to most people, especially if you want instant results. But retinol is not a fly-by-night, gimmicky product. It's the real deal and it takes time to penetrate the layers of skin on your face and start working its magic. Give it time, be patient, and start out cautiously! I recommend a thin layer on a small patch of skin first, just in case you have a bad reaction to it.

Good luck, and thanks to RoC for making one of the most readily available retinol products that you can buy without a prescription!

5.0 out of 5 stars Immediate Softening of Wrinkles and Ingredients Help With Long-Term Improvement, January 9, 2010
This RoC product is good to use for instant results before you go out, in addition to what it's doing underneath the surface of your skin. It instantly softens lines and/or wrinkles, neither of which I have of course!

Recently I went into a panic because I found a new "line" around one of my eyes. Whether it was a beginning wrinkle or not, I restocked my RoC products. I've used fine cosmetics since in my teens and my face looks better than many people my age. I credit the quality products. RoC products are more effective than department-store wrinkle-removers, etc., and much less expensive. Retinol products work, although you do have to make sure to protect your skin when you're out in the sun and be sure not to wax your face after using it, a mistake I made.

In fact, if you're new to Retinol products, go slowly. I would probably use it every other day at first to see how your skin reacts, before starting to use it every day. Can't hurt. I am definitely seeing softer skin and softening of lines. The dark spots under my eyes are improved, although I have allergies and getting rid of them altogether is probably unlikely to happen. I'll keep trying for the best improvement I can get though, and RoC products seem to do it for me. I think the Deep Wrinkle Filler is a keeper, but my favorite is the Deep Wrinkle Night Cream. I plan to keep using both.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product works!, January 28, 2011
This review is from: RoC Deep Wrinkle Filler, 1 Ounce (Health and Beauty)
I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous to complain about a slight odor or a tingling sensation with the use of the RoC Retinol Correction line. This only means it is working! This is not meant to be a "perfume" cream; it is more like a medical prescription, though not as strong as straight retinol. I've used it for almost a year and can tell you that if you use these four RoC products (RoC Retinol Correction line) day filler, eye cream, moisturizer & night cream, you will see noticeable results. My only regret is that I just discovered I can save a bundle by ordering it from Amazon rather than purchasing it at any of my local drugstores. It is far, far better than any other over-the-counter products that promise wrinkle reduction.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hold your nose!, December 13, 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible result, but not around the eyes!, April 8, 2007
I'm 32, and the only telling thing about my age are the serious wrinkles on my brow. I decided to try this as it wasn't too expensive (look at Strivectin - ouch!) and thought even a small improvement would be worth the price. I have to say, I'm shocked. After about two weeks, I saw noticeable changes, and it's now been about 6 weeks, and the improvement has been tremendous. The wrinkles on my forehead are almost gone. I'll definitely be purchasing more.

Like some of the other reviews, there are areas this shouldn't go, like around the eyes. Be careful about that, as it created a little redness, not bad, but it really dried out my skin and caused flaking, which too about a week to clear up. Again, no problems anywhere else, but in sensitive areas like the eyes, it's potency was obvious, and these areas couldn't take it.

RoC Deep Wrinkle Filler, 1 Ounce