From the Back Cover
Illinois greets cyclists with a warm and varied embrace, from its small towns and urban historic areas to its scenic parklands replete with lakes and hills. Road Biking Illinois provides a personal tour of forty-three memorable rides that explore all the beauty and diversity the Prairie State has to offer. Soak in local history relating to the state’s most famous son, Abe Lincoln. Go back in time in old Mississippi River towns and in Amish country. Discover the sculptures and architecture of Peoria. Or combine a tour of wineries with the stunning scenery of the Shawnee National Forest. And then there are Chicago-area rides, including a visit to President Barak Obama’s neighborhood of Hyde Park.
Look inside to find:
• Detailed maps and directions
• Rides for every fitness level and ability—from easy 10-mile rambles to a challenging 75-mile classic
• In-depth information about each ride, including length, terrain, traffic conditions, and road hazards
• Recommended accommodations and restaurants
• Vivid descriptions of points of interest
• Options to create longer or shorter rides
About the Author
Ted Villaire is the author of several outdoor recreation guidebooks including Best Rail Trails Illinois and Camping Illinois (both FalconGuides). His freelance articles have appeared in numerous newspapers and magazines, including the Chicago Tribune, the Des Moines Register,
Silent Sports, and Rails to Trails.