Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: Audio CDChange

on August 7, 2001
I was first introduced to this band by a nineteen year old friend of my seventeen year old daughter. When he asked me on a very long car ride home from a writers conference "do you mind if a put in a cd, I clinched my 43 year old teeth, in a mother of five grin, and said "certainly not, please help yourself." and prepared myself for what ever ugliness was going to plauge me for the ride home. When the first drumbeats of "Donkey Riding" landed on my folk music loving ears, I just could't stop listening to this CD!I bought it the next day. Every song, every one, reached me and since have carried me on long walks, and long nights. I can't pin point why, but the enery in these songs lifts me (like the song.) The driving acoustic guitar, the harmony, the simple interaction between band and audience makes this live mixed concert album new to me, every time I listen. This is a must buy for folk music lovers, and ktchen party singers evewrywhere.
on October 31, 2000
The album is based on mainly the concert in Fredricton, New Brunswick, but has elments of a typical GBS concert. It's a good mix, (as are all of thier albums), of their own song writing efforts and traditional tunes. There's a few humourous comments, in addition to different tune departures in 'Fast As I Can,' 'When I'm Up' and 'General Taylor.' Like most albums Allan Doyle and Sean McCann shoulder most of the vocals, with the exception of Darrel Power leading 'Excursion Around The Bay.'
I throughly enjoyed the added vocals in 'Donkey Riding,' and 'Captain Wedderburn.' But, I am a self confessed lover of the traditional "everybody dance and sing tunes." If you are looking for the most lively version of 'Lukey,' get the "Fire In the Kitchen" album that has the track with GBS and The Chieftans, but this live one will have you tapping your toes too.
My only critism regarding absent tunes is the 'Beggarman' song. On the "Play" album Sean McCann sings the hidden track 'Beggarman.' I would have like to seen the live version of 'Beggarman,'where Darrell Power takes the lead and plays the 'bones' on this album, but alas it was absent. Their version of 'Blister In the Sun' is also superb live, but I imagine The Violent Femmes still have the copy write.
The new tune of 'Everything Shines' has an upbeat message, reminescent of kids in playschool. However, I do not consider it to be the 'shinest' of gems on the album.
Overall, if you are looking for a reminder of your last GBS concert this is a Great one. If you are looking for an introdution to GBS this is a solidly satisfactory album. The band has admitted to having more fun doing live concerts than studio recorded albums and here they captured that fun.
on December 22, 2003
A friend loaned me this CD the day before I took a cross-country train trip. He didn't tell me much about Great Big Sea so when I heard their music, I was enthralled. Very rarely do I really like a musician/band's style and material so it means a lot to say that I listened to Road Rage for the ENTIRE TRIP. That is four days, round-trip. I saw them in concert this fall and felt that the CD portrayed the energy and sound wonderfully. This is a great album to start with on the road to becoming a full-fledged Great Big Sea fan. The only drawback is that the fans are so friendly and fun that they don't come with the CD.
on January 12, 2001
I was buying a Saw Doctors CD about a month ago and Amazon had the list on the bottom of what others bought. It suggested Great Big Sea. I had never heard of them so I went and downloaded a few of their .mp3s. Absolutely phenomenal. I know you can burn cds, but I always want the original too.
I love music and I have a very extensive cd collection. But nothing compares to this group or this cd. There is nothing like driving with the music loud listening to Lukey or Old Black Rum. And, I have two little kids (under 6) who love this cd as well. (They fortunately don't ask about the meaning of I'm a Rover - but they still dance around the house to it.)
The only thing that truly disappoints me about this cd is listening to the crowd sing. Disapponted because this group is not well known in this part of the country and would not have that same participation at a concert here.
My recommendation - absolutely, positively buy this cd. You will not be disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 27, 2001
Great Big Sea is a very popular band from Newfoundland, Canada who's fame and support continues to grow in other places as well. They play an exciting mix of traditional and original material that is heaped over with testosterone-driven male harmonies. In a world of over-produced studio albums by artists who's live show can never match their CD's this disc proves that there a still a few bands out there that have earned their following one show at a time.
If you have never heard this band before, this album gives you a perfect place to start because it captures all the best qualities of Great Big Sea playing a selection of their best material all in one place. This CD will make you a fan....
on September 15, 2005
Pure fun, pure vocal power...I've reviewed their Great Big CD & DVD and I've also been to a few of their shows...this is where they're at their absolute best. Don't get me wrong: there's not a thing wrong with any of their studio albums, it's just that they tend to kick things up to an even higher level when they invite the audience to "sing loud". A prime example of the power of GBS live is the acapella "General Taylor" on this collection in particular when Sean brings the song up a couple of keys at the end and holds those notes with a power that has to be heard to be believed. The harmonies these guys put across will make you understand how much they love what they do. Their sense of humor is sometimes dark and twisted but the just have to listen once to get it. Their original bass player Darrell has since departed the group but they're still a force to be reckoned with...and coming this October is an all-new collection of all-tradition Newfie folk songs that are dear to the band's hearts. Go see the band live, that's the ultimate way to appreciate them. This is just a really great souvenir of what they're all about...the sound quality is super, and the true feel of what GBS is all about comes through the speakers unmistakably. Nicest bunch of guys you could ask for, and pure fun onstage....stop reading already and click to order!
on August 22, 2009
the rolling stones should be the opening act for these guys. happy sailor music with great hamonies and lots of suprises. bands like these guys don't come around much these days so if they come to your town, go see 'em even if you have to spend your rent money to do it. something old but something new at the same time.
this is an album the whole family can enjoy. (believe it or not) and yet it grabs each persons attention for a different reason. the hard rockin' teenager will dig this just as much as the country loving mom. if you don't like this album then you need therapy (or bubble wrap in 5 mile strips)
on February 27, 2002
A friend in Buffalo introduced me (a West-Coaster) to Great Big Sea and I was immediately won over as a new fan! I love the "gaelic" undertones to their music! It's upbeat and fun! I listen to it at work and it puts a smile on my face! The singers sound like MEN, not "boys" as so many American singers/groups do now and that was a definate bonus! The music and instruments are soothing and ancestral, almost "dreamy" in the background. I hear this cd and I envision rolling green hills, a misty sky, and a cozy pub on a chilly night!
on August 1, 2002
After hearing Great Big Sea on the UPROOTED Tour with Young Dubliners and Seven Nations, I thought buying this live CD would be the way to go to recapture some of the energy from the show. BOY, was I right! This CD is AWESOME! There isn't a bad song on the entire recording and the quality is very clear. Quite simply - it's one of the best live recordings I've ever heard. If you don't have this CD in your collection, you are missing out on one of life's great pleasures!
VINE VOICEon March 13, 2005
This is one of the most fun CDs I've ever heard. Laughter and clapping from the audience just enhances the performance.

And, all our favorite traditionals are there, "When I'm Up," "Night Paddy Murphy Died," "Mari Mac." Plus, we get some wonderful new compositions, such as "Hanging Johnny."

The recording quality is great. Good sound on the band and the live sounds aren't staticky at all. Very much enjoyable.