5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME
what more do you want. all the linkin park classics are on this cd/dvd. the sound and video quality is good. when you watch the whole video there are extra three songs: papercut, points of auhority and somewhere i belong. again very good video good perfomance by linkin park.
Published on December 3, 2008 by Danny Z.

3.0 out of 5 stars Performance Solid...Recording and Mixing Disappointing
Linkin Park's "Road To Revolution" live performance at the Milton Keynes(UK) National Bowl is packed with many of LP's greatest hits, with 18 out of the 19 songs performed included on this MP3 album.

Published on November 25, 2008 by HuskerDog

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Performance Solid...Recording and Mixing Disappointing, November 25, 2008
HuskerDog (The Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews

The performance is solid...more than adequate considering it's live, so I have no major complaints there, and would have rated this higher had it not been for what I consider to be a less-than-stellar recording.

I'm no expert on live recordings, and maybe I'm getting a little picky here. Obviously, I know that live recordings and studio projects are two different animals. But that doesn't mean you can't make a live performance sound good. There's a lot more to it than just sticking two microphones in the air, at least for a production like this one. All amps, drums and instruments are individually miked, as well as any additional mikes set up for the natural ambience and crowd noise. Everything gets run through a mixing board, where equalization, volume, pan (left or right in the stereo field), effects (reverb, delay, etc.) among other things are able to be changed and perfected.

The overall sound seems to have a limited frequency response...most everything seems to fall within a certain narrow band of mainly low-to-mid frequencies. Muddy guitars, booming bass guitar, nasally vocals and wishy-washy cymbals are the result.

While the drum set sounds okay by itself, such as on the solo in "Bleed It Out", the bass drum, in particular, doesn't have a lot of punch and presence when the overall music gets busy...and therefore gets lost in the mix at those times.

The reverb isn't always natural sounding and sounds overdone in spots, (possibly due to crowd mikes?), but could have been improved nonetheless.

Overall, the sound just isn't as 'clean' as it could be, even considering it's live. It's a stereo recording, but other than the cymbals, it mainly sounds mono. IMO, there are a lot of things that could have been "fixed in the mix", but weren't.

With that being said, this is still a must-have for die-hard Linkin Park fans...events this big don't always get put out for major release.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rockin' show, but the DVD and CD fall a bit short, June 27, 2010
This review is from: Road To Revolution Live At Milton Keynes (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
ROAD TO REVOLUTION captures Linkin Park at a June 29, 2008 show in England at the Milton Keynes Bowl--the final gig on their inaugural European leg of the Projekt Revolution tour. The package captures the band doing their thing with great quality sound on both the CD and the DVD. The band has developed their live show after years of touring to include just enough surprises in the live versions of all of the songs to keep the music entertaining. These include a new, heavier breakdown in "One Step Closer", a revamped version of "Wake" complete with a heavier drum beat and fierce turntable scratches, and a long intro to "Crawling" that incorporates the dark electronics of the version of the song from REANIMATION. The DVD is filmed with superb lighting and editing to adequately engage the viewer in the energy of the concert. The newer tracks from MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT, particularly the ballads, actually sound better than here than they do in the studio, with crisper guitars and louder electronics and keyboards. The show looks great, and the occasional far-off shots overlooking the crowd, the huge stage backdrop, and the setting sun give the viewer a great sense of what being at the concert must have been like.

However, there are a couple of flaws both in the show itself and in the intuitiveness of the DVD that makes this release inferior to LIVE IN TEXAS. For one thing, Chester is not as strong here as he was at the 2003 show; this is especially apparent on some of the heavier tracks in the set ("One Step Closer", "Given Up", "Jigga What/Faint"). It must be remembered, of course, that this show took place near the end of a world tour that lasted over a year, but a little more finesse and power on his part would have been appreciated since the vocals are turned up so high into the live mix. Perhaps the most irritating aspect of the DVD (and one that really brings the appeal of the whole package down) is the fact that both the DVD and CD lack 3 of the 22 songs in the original setlist. On the DVD, the tracks "Somewhere I Belong","Papercut" and "Points of Authority" are edited out until after the end credits, at which point they can be viewed individually as "bonus tracks" that cannot be incorporated into the full concert upon repeat viewings. This is a shame because the absence of these three tracks cause the concert on the DVD and CD to be geared towards slower, calmer ballads rather than balanced equally between heavy tracks and quieter tracks--exactly as the set really was. I don't know what the band was thinking here; I just think it would make sense to have the entire concert viewable as it truly was. It makes sense that they might cut the CD down to fit the concert onto one disc, but on the DVD, it makes no sense.

So, although this CD/DVD combo was recorded and filmed with excellent quality, there are some minor flaws that make it a disappointing live document. If you're a Linkin Park fan, you'll probably pick it up anyway, but don't expect it to top LIVE IN TEXAS in terms of the quality of the package. Also, make sure to buy the explicit version; the edited version completely butchers the cameo raps from Jay-Z in the first encore.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, December 3, 2008
Danny Z. (Philladelphia , PA USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Show for the Band, but not the best, November 26, 2008
This CD/DVD combo is actually better then "Live in Texas". Unforunately Live in Texas doesn't have the raw sound like this one. This combo actually shows Linkin Park's energy at their live shows. I know the sound isn't great, but that's what you get when you record live. It's not going to be perfect. People expect to much with sound quality since we've gotten spoiled with better technology. The filming of the band it self was good since you could feel the energy from the band. Unforunately I can't say that for the crowd (the crowd might have had a bad or something on those lines).

I know that Chester's vocals are off pitch on some of the songs, but try touring day after day and singing Crawling or Given Up. Broadway singers have an understudy in case their vocals are not up were it should be. But lead vocalists in bands like Linkin Park do not.

If someone is going to buy this don't expect:
A good recording since it is a LIVE SHOW. So the sound is not going to be up to standard.

Great vocals by Chester. Chester's vocals are still excellent but not what you expect from him. He is off pitch on some songs.

The live show is not completely. Three songs are hidden tracks at the end of the DVD.

2.0 out of 5 stars Linkin Park going through the motions, December 29, 2008
Let me start off by saying I love LP. I own all their albums. I haven't seen them live yet, but not too long ago I saw this at HMV and I couldn't resist because it looked too good to be true- an excellent setlist. I've always wanted to hear "Given Up" performed live because as much as I hated Minutes to Midnight, I love that song. Well they do work it into the mix here.

Anyways, so I quickly bought it and rushed home with it. I usually watch the DVD first when it comes to CD/DVD combos, because it's more exciting. However, I was not pleased. The band are performing sloppily here. This is a good example of when a band get bigger stage sets and start caring more about the stage set than the performance itself.

First off, the sound quality is terrible. It's on par with "A Real Live Dead One" by Iron Maiden as the worst sound quaility an album could have. It sounds as if the band are playing in a dingy 500 person nightclub with a godawful soundsystem. You can't hear the audience either, it sounds like a studio recording most of the time. And not to 5 of the 6 piece band sound bored here- I'm sure the quick cuts (Which ruin it) are to hide the band members checking the time. Your blood pressure gets higher and higher during the intro when they rush on... but then they start performing, and it's enough to make you go "What happened?"

Chester ruins the whole thing. For one, has the worst interaction with an audience I've ever heard. He gets 3-4 songs in before talking to the audience. He sucks so much, in fact before Papercut, Mike Shinoda has to take over. And his voice on here is just plain awful. He doesn't strain the notes he just sings them and it sounds whiny. Part of the LP fun is the strained vocals. All of the high notes are off-key. He sounds like he just can't wait for the show to be over... having to sing 22 songs for an hour and 20 minutes shouldn't be that hard. I've been to two hour (and Two and a half hour) concerts where the vocals are solid from beginning to end, so I should know this.

Fortunately, there's some great guitar work from Brad Delson. The couple solos he performs are pretty soild. He seems to be the thing that saves the show from being a complete disaster. Unfortunately, that doesn't justify the rest of the band's sloppy performance- a lot of the songs have a going-through-the-motions feel, can't really feel the energy. Maybe the band were having a really bad night when they were filming this? I dunno, thing is, they seem to be bored of touring and the set feels incredibly rushed, as if they have to be somewhere after the show.

As for stage set and lighting and stuff, it's not bad. The use of the huge screen behind them was really well done. However, most of the time the lighting cues feel really rushed and forced too- as frisky as I may sound, they use the "strobe" effect way too much.

So overall, if you don't already have Live in Texas (Which is MUCH superior, mind you), do buy this. But otherwise, don't bother with this one, this package is VERY dissappointing. I haven't listened to the CD yet, but I doubt I will sometime soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but you should jsut get the DVD, July 18, 2011
I loved this performence on the dvd, and even though its the same sound, seeing it adds to it. Besides, this isnt the entire concert, they took out Papercut, and maby more. Would recomend just buying the dvd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but a slight disappointment, July 17, 2009
Jonathan (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
First off, just so everyone knows where I'm coming from, I'm a Linkin Park fan who's seen them live several times. I DJ'ed at an FM radio station for two years with my own rock show and worked as an album reviewer for my college paper for three years. That said, this album is not "bad" but is nowhere near what I was expecting, nor would it rise above "decidedly average" in my book.

First off, let's hit the high points. The setlist is solid, containing a nice mix from all three of their original studio albums, both hits and deep cuts. I particularly liked the inclusion of the original version of "Pushing Me Away" off of "Hybrid Theory" rather than the remixed version off "Reanimation." The setlist was my biggest worry going into this album, because in the multiple times I've seen them from 2003 to the present I saw the same setlist, with only one song's difference each time. Jay-Z also makes an appearance on the album, and he and LP collaborate for a pair of songs from "Collision Course."

That said, this album doesn't stack up well against "Live in Texas." One of the great things I loved about seeing LP live is that they always played like they had something to prove, as if the show you were watching was going to be the one they were judged on for all time. That led to an incredible stage energy. The band, and the vocals in particular, seem to lack that on "Road to Revolution," as if they slacked off a bit and accepted the fact that they're famous. The sound mixing also sounds off, and varies slightly from song to song, leading some songs to be bass-heavy, guitar-heavy or with vocals so heavy it drowns out the instruments.

To be fair, it is an LP album, and hardcore LP fans will like it, if for no other reason than it offers live cuts from "Minutes to Midnight." The casual fan, however, would be better off picking up "Live in Texas" to see and hear a really great LP live show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best music purchase ever!, July 10, 2009
Normally I do not see much value in these personal reviews as they really are a matter of style and personal taste. This purchase however left me feeling like I stole this. I had heard this concert aired on a local station one evening wishing I could get a copy of it and ordered this, not knowing it was the same concert. I was blown away that not only did I get the CD, I got the DVD. It is as close as I have ever experienced to being at the live show and left me with an adrenaline rush equal to any concert I've been to (including Pink Floyd and U2 and cost about $400.00 less)! Best part is I can relive this anytime I choose. Excellent!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, just as I remembered it, April 25, 2009
Just buy the damn DVD. You know you want to. Look, if you've ever been to a Linkin Park concert, if you've seen them at Project Rev, or have never seen them at all, these guys don't disappoint. The music quality is good as well as the vocals on the CD/DVD. Jay Z comes out to rap a little if you like him (I personally don't). The video quality is also good, not grainy like you usually get when they shoot indoor Rock concerts. If I had to complain then they needed bonus features or extras on the menu. But I watched it on the 70" big screen and started moshing with my friends.----enjoy :)

4.0 out of 5 stars great cd! well produced! worth the money!, September 16, 2010
I have to say this is a great cd and well produced! the "bleed it out" version / "push me away" and "no more sorrow" are well performed! I only have a little complain in the "hands held high" version that was a cheapest accapella performed, (this is a cool song that I consider they should play as was conceived in the record!) despite a few crapy ballad (only 2) this cd worth the money! I only have time to listen the cd. i will write another review about the dvd because I purchased the cd-dvd combo yesterday.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›