4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not perfect
I have used this to transfer transmission/gear oils from bottles/gallons into the gearboxes about 1/2 a dozen times. This has ranged from very thin ATF viscosity to glue-thick gear oils that were so thick I could barely pump the piston.

Published on October 31, 2010 by Bud

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't make this mistake
Published on October 4, 2009 by Shade Tree Mechanic US

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't make this mistake, October 4, 2009
This review is from: RoadPro RP36667 Multi-Use Siphon/Pump (Automotive)
I have purchase this type of pump from several different retail stores, each time forgetting the poor performance I have experienced in the past. This pump could potentially fulfill a basic handyman need: transferring air or liquids. I have usually tried to use it for automotive applications: siphoning oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, engine cooland and the like. It has not been able to perform these basic functions, on any occasion. Specifically, the hose seals are only press-fit friction seals, despite the appearance of threads on the plastic fittings.The main tube seals leak air when trying to press air into any system (other than a latex balloon perhaps). I am unsure what function this device could perform adequately, as it has failed on each attempted use. After my first purchase, a long time elapsed and I began to assume I must have had a bad production model - which I anticipate from any mass produced product... but two subsequent purchases have convinced me that the most valuable pieces in this kit are only the flexible tubing. Better tubing is available. Don't buy this except as a collection of rubber and plastic raw materials for a child's project.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, December 22, 2010
Mike Bravo (Colorado Springs, CO.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RoadPro RP36667 Multi-Use Siphon/Pump (Automotive)
Bought this product to change power steering fluid. Hoses are really stiff, could not bend at all. Red hoses were kinked and had to cut 3 inches off. Seals failed after about 5 minutes leaked fluid over engine. Kept air inflation needle rest in dumpster. Terrible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not perfect, October 31, 2010
This review is from: RoadPro RP36667 Multi-Use Siphon/Pump (Automotive)

Unlike previous pumps I've used that took what seemed like a million strokes to transfer a quart, this little guy pumps a full stroke of contents each time. It seems to only take about 10 pumps to drain a quart bottle. I am always shocked how soon I hear the siphon end sucking air when the bottle is empty. This is important since you are usually working in an uncomfortable position and trying to hold several items so as not to make a mess. This is SO much better than the pumps that look like over-sized lotion/syrup pumps or squeeze bulbs.

I have only used it with the included orange hose, which is 1/2" OD. Once you pump a bunch of goopy oil through it, you will probably not want to use all the other accessories. Considering the very low price, this is practically disposable, although I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of it. In fact, I wound up buying some more hose at a local hardware store.

It's faults are reasonable considering the price. The ends are a firm rubber, and so the hose is a press-fit into the tapered openings. Be sure not to fit a kinked/out-of-round portion of the hose into the ports. On the pump port, I never leaked a drop in all the times I used it. On the siphon side, this last time I finally got a few times where it sucked in air. This could be because of an uneven kink in the hose or maybe its seals are finally going after 1/2 a dozen uses.

In any case, I would buy this again without hesitation. Also, the seals where the rod to the handle/piston go leak a bit. This did this even on the first time. This will drip a bit and/or make your hands slippery, but this is also of minor concern to me since changing oil is not ever a very clean process. I am glad I found this because it does pump so fast and it can be reused at least a few times with the included hose (which is plenty long to cut for a few uses) or with similar hose from a hardware store. Hope my review is useful to you in evaluating this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, November 15, 2011
This review is from: RoadPro RP36667 Multi-Use Siphon/Pump (Automotive)
I would highly suggest that you spend a few more dollars and buy a better pump, I try-ed to pump the gas from my boat for winter storage and it wouldn't pump a drop, even try-ed priming with oil and no success. I threw it in the trash and bought a $70 battery operated one off the Amazon web site. Amazon you should discontinue the sale of this product, its a rip off to your customers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, doesn't work well, breaks soon and then leaks., November 4, 2011
This review is from: RoadPro RP36667 Multi-Use Siphon/Pump (Automotive)
This poor quality pump doesn't pull enough suction to even transfer water unless the body of the pump is first completely primed (filled with liquid) and the suction hose is also filled without any air inside. And it is completely unusable as an air pump, developing almost no air pressure. The small black sleeves that are supposed to hold the hoses on the pump body soon split and leak.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Junk, March 13, 2012
This review is from: RoadPro RP36667 Multi-Use Siphon/Pump (Automotive)
Bought mine last year. Struggled to get it work, but it worked. ONCE. Tried again today, and it 's now in the trash. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY on this garbage. I'm forced to give it 1 star. It deserves zero.

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth a dime, December 28, 2011
This review is from: RoadPro RP36667 Multi-Use Siphon/Pump (Automotive)
I bought one of these. Hoses, collars and adaptors are too stiff to get airtight connection. Guess what? You must have an airtight connection for this to work.

1.0 out of 5 stars it's like a gag gift, but the joke's on you, January 25, 2012
This review is from: RoadPro RP36667 Multi-Use Siphon/Pump (Automotive)
IF this pump actually works even once, it will probably just fall apart and leak whatever you are pumping all over the place.

thats "IF" it works.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware if you intend to siphon gas out of your car, December 22, 2013
This review is from: RoadPro RP36667 Multi-Use Siphon/Pump (Automotive)
Most newer cars have valves/fittings in the filler pipe even the thin tube included with this pump can't get by. I tried it on three different vehicles and couldn't reach the tank to extract even a drop! Otherwise, it's your typical cheap item that is likely disposable after some use.

3.0 out of 5 stars for emergency purposes, June 15, 2014
This review is from: RoadPro RP36667 Multi-Use Siphon/Pump (Automotive)
it works,but it is cumbersome. I wish the tubes were longer, that would have made the siphoning much easier. It was properly priced for the quality of the product.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›