Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: RoadPro RPBH-012 12V Beverage Heater
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 7, 2007
Hot water in my flask doesn't stay hot enough for a whole day out, and this is a good way to bring my tea or coffee up to temperature. I haven't tried heating water from cold - it is always at least warm when I start. It takes several minutes and the wait can be a bit tedious, but it does a good job. The clip which is supposed to hold the heater onto the side of the mug doesn't (it flops about), so I have to hold it to keep it properly immersed. It cools off quickly and is reasonably easy to clean with a small brush.
on November 23, 2008
This is a good product. I use it in a stainless coffee mug in the car. Sometimes the cigarette lighter plug on the Road Pro will melt if you leave it on too long. Radio shack part number 270-1521 is a much more robust plug. I just crunch the old plug up and cut the metal tabs with the wires soldered to them from the original plug and put them in the holes in the Radio Shack heavy duty plug and it is fixed and lasts forever. I leave the LED connected and it indicates when it is plugged in.

Great gadget. Much better than the plug in mugs that fail quickly.
44 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2009
Junk, blows 20amp Fuse Power plug melted in socketRoadpro RPBH-012 12-Volt Beverage Heater (1 Each)
on February 2, 2016
The RPBH-012 does eventually heat the liquid. Some have complained about burnout. I did not experience it.
However, I had continued to wonder why it is not sold in stores in CA. On my 3rd use, I was bored and read the packaging. The element contains lead. I was heating lead in my drink, soup, etc. I believe it's been since the 1970's that not only can lead paint not be used in homes, but no cooking utensils or containers or serving dishes can have lead. The online description did not mention the heating element has lead in it. However the package does.
It would have cost more to send back, than the item cost.
Leaving out a material fact which has a cumulative affect on customers' health is a deceptive business practice. I will not purchase from this vendor again and would have given zero stares, if it had been possible.
on April 12, 2010
I purchased this item as a gift for my son. He is an over the road truck driver and I thought this would be nice so he could make coffee of a morning. He used it twice and it burned out. It may be that it was just a defective product, but on the other hand at a cost of about $12, it is not worth taking the chance. I would have returned the product, but it may be months before I see him again, and he had already discarded the packaging. My loss could be your gain. Don't buy!
33 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2010
Although the other reviews were not promising I gave it a chance. Wrong! The heater was in pieces on arrival, the tip was unscrewed. I put it back together, used it once and the tip melted. I had used the 110v units years ago and although they didn't last very long, I decided to give this a chance, as I work from a vehicle. Don't waste your time or money.
on November 14, 2013
The beverage heater is UL listed on the cable at 12V and 120 Watts, which is about ther max my cigarette lighter in my car delivers. If you only need to warm water, a regular cup of 7-8 ounces will rise in temperature about 10 degrees F per minute providing you have reasonable guage wiring on your cigarette lighter. That's fine for just warming things up since it feels luke warm at 105 F and piping hot at 135 F. 2-3 minutes will get the luke warm cup there. Boiling will take around 10 minutes for a cup, which isn't great if there are more thirsty mouths around, since a cup isn't much, foam coffee cup, regular size, is what this refers to.

I plugged this RPBH-012 heater into my 13.8V Pyramid power supply. The supply provides a car battery cigarette lighter outlet to run car appliances that use such plugs, and the power supply runs off the wall current. I measured the amps, wall current Voltage and average wattage of this thing with a Kill-O-Watt meter. Using the adapter at 119.9V, the power supply drew 322 Watts from the house current to run this at 3.03 amps (on the 119.9 V wall AC current), with the Kill-O-Watt tester interfaced between the power supply and wall current.

That proves the heater element will take as much juice as your wiring permits, so getting another heater won't go any faster in the car, you need a new cigarette lighter connection (which also has a fuse that is around 15 amps which is far below what a car battery delivers for example during cold cranking it is several hundred amps).

Anyway I don't think I lose more than 20% on the power supply, so the element is capable of drawing nearly 300 Watts (or more since that was probably the limit of the supply wiring) if connected to a source that can supply it and as long as it was submerged there was no problem. Hot wiring it with heavy gauge to the car battery would do that, since you are limited by whatever your cigarette lighter wiring delivers: but, that is a McGyver option.

It boiled my 7 ounce cup of water in slightly under 5 minutes when hotwired to my power supply. If you were out camping and connected it directly across the car battery terminals that is what you would get, or maybe even a lot more, so that isn't a great idea without some wire to resist somewhat, not to mention there would be no fuse to protect you so unless you are good at tinkering like that, since a short sparks around the flammable car wet cell battery fumes would be an unsafe use if anything went wrong. It does serve to illustrate the power draw of the heater though, and mine seemed fine as long as it was submersed pulling three times the rating. Two seconds in the air or less though and it surely would burn itself out with all that heat and no where to sink it. But take my word for it unless you want to join half of the reviewers that complain about this burning out. It really has no protection whatsoever against momentarily forgetting and lifting or even accidentally slipping out of a cup if you kick it. I guess a temperature sensing interrupter like some blenders have was just not economical to adapt to this. So it is what it is ... and you just need to be on your toes while you use it and it ought to last fine. That isn't easy to do in all circumstances, like if you are socializing.
on May 25, 2011
I spend all day at work in my truck, and found it frustrating that my thermos bottle would not hold water at the proper tea making temp for the entire shift.
The Road Pro brings the water back up to tea making temp in about two minutes.
Takes about five minutes to heat a cold mug to almost boiling. It serves my purpose.
on January 1, 2016
On road trips we use this to heat the water bath that in turn warms a baby formula steel bottle (Pura Kiki) It heats the water sufficiently in 4 minutes, this is comparable to a 110v baby bottle warmer. I am pleased to find this inexpensive and easy to use product on Amazon.
review image
on September 5, 2010
I bought this item to heat water so that I could keep hot coffee during a 5-day cross-country road trip. (Without having to pull over to purchase it...) The product specifications indicates that the so-called "metal" clip would attach neatly to most "CERAMIC" coffee cups. Firstly, the "metal clip" is NOT METAL but some type of hard plastic. I chose a ceramic cup with the narrowest rim to be sure it would accomodate the space allowed for the clip to engage. However, as soon as I placed the clip on the rim of the my cup, the clip snapped off! (With little or NO pressure!!)
I just finished the trip on Saturday Sept. 4th and any hot coffee during my trip was purchased from various vendors enroute so I wasted $16.98 on the item and shipping cost. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!