Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on October 4, 2011
Ok..first thing..read the instruction manual when you get this..it's a 2 amp fuse cig plug only good for your ipods or mp3 players..now if your gonna use it to power up a compressor, install led lights or power up dvd players, etc..go to home depot buy a 15 amp fuse (automotive/ marine fuse only) and change the 2 amp fuse....coz if yu dont the fuse will blow right away..and your gonna start thinkng the product is useless like some people here..lol..to change just unscrew the tip or header of the plug..insert the new fuse...now you can run whatever you want..this is great for the led light project that i did..save me from routing wires to the battery or tapping on my cars electronic fuses. This is a good product if you know what you are doing or buying.
44 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2009
I used this to repair an air compressor. I originally bought a replacement plug from a local auto parts, and it got melted by the current draw.

When I first used this plug, it acted "dead" because the fuse blew instantly. I think the provided fuse was only 1 or 2 amps, which is not nearly enough for an air compressor. I bought some 20 amp fuses locally, and it has been working fine for a few months now.

I was a little concerned because the wire pigtail was slightly lighter gauge than the compressor cord, but is has not been an issue thus far. The green LED indicator is nice because you can tell if the socket has power.

A good deal for the money, but it should come with a heavier fuse to match it's current handling capability.
1111 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2012
Bought this for a new CB I was installing in my pickup. The price is right and this lighter adapter is quality. Beats "The Shack" (Radio Shack)quality for their adapter hands down.And, easy to connect. No taking it apart to wire it in.
on June 23, 2012
I needed to replace a detachable DC cable because of a broken cigarette lighter adapter but didn't want to pay for the complete adapter. I cut the attached connectors off the leads of this one so I could use butt-end crimp splicers. All I had to do was use a wire insulation stripper and the adapter cable is now as good as new. Since the butt-end splices are plastic coated, there is no shorting issue.
review image
on June 16, 2011
This is a fine piece of equipment. Easy to use, simple to install, and fused! I've used several others in the past that would heat up or get stuck in the socket or simply didn't work after a day or two due to cheap, 20AWG wiring. This works well and I will surely be buying more in the future as my car is filled with 12V plugs.

(NOT RECOMMENDED!) I personally disassembled to product to see if it suited my needs and was durable enough to last. Obviously, once you remove a screw or piece of ANY product you have purchased it an cannot return it. HOWEVER, having done this I can tell you that it is a quality product. I even removed the small green LED and replaced it with a blue LED to match my car's interior.
review image
on September 1, 2011
This is the best cigarette lighter plug I have found yet. It was cheaper than the ones at Aut0Z0NE, and had better wiring to boot. Nice, thick 16 gauge wires. I wish the crimp connectors weren't there, but it's easy enough to cut them off. The LED is a plus but if you don't want it, the whole thing comes apart with one screw. It's easy enough to just cut out the LED. Uses standard 1-1/4 glass fuses.
on December 19, 2014
Used this as a replacement for an air compressor, 12V 15A circuit. I clearly should have read the reviews and/or done the math before purchase, because as I can report after taking the fried fuse out of the tip, it turns out this Roadpro replacement plug is rated at 2A.

Remember your basic physics! V [voltage] = I [current] x R [resistance], and P [power] = V x I. With the provided fuse, the plug can supply approximately 2A * 12V = 24 watts. My compressor needs something like 15A x 12v = 180W. Needless to say, the fuse in the Roadpro plug burned out in half a second.

If you're looking for a high-draw plug, look elsewhere. The spring clip leads actually make it significantly harder to splice, solder, and tape / shrink-tube.

Guess I'm going out to replace the fuses! FYI, this plug takes 6x30mm fuses.
on June 21, 2013
Just unscrew the chrome top to put another fuse in place of your choosing. It comes with 2 amp but I changed to 10 amp and run a yaesu FT2900R 75 watts no problems.
on January 8, 2014
Received this today, tried plugging it in, didn't work. later found out that the fuse inside was a DUD! no fuse, no power... no power, NO GOOD. Pretty much a useless product as is. If you buy this prepare to go buy yourself a new fuse because this crap came with a dud.
on August 4, 2010
This has saved me several times -- much easier to replace the fuse in this than in the truck -- so when I do dumb things and overload it the fuse in the plug blows and not the truck. I like it.