5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Family Entertainment
My four year-old loves this well-done animated version of Roald Dahl's BFG book. She enjoys the animation (with a great, pleasingly spooky beginning, though not too scary) as well as the story itself.
Published on May 17, 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Not true to book
I was disappointed with the way this movie version of Roald Dahl's amazing book strayed from the original story line. I also really didn't care for the animation. The one plus of having such differences between the book and movie were that the 5th grade students that I showed this to after having read the book were able to do a great Venn diagram full of contrasts.
Published on May 16, 2010 by Miss M

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Family Entertainment, May 17, 2002
By A Customer
The Big Friendly Giant visits children's windows each night and sends them pleasant dreams; his other job is to catch the bad dreams out there and bottle them up so they don't frighten children, as well as prevent the evil giants from eating children! A lonely girl, Sophie, is one day whisked away from here dreary orphange by the BFG to help him with his task. Thereafter the plot thickens and in the end the two must enlist the help of the Queen of England to make all well again.
This is a wonderful show. Made in the UK, the only difference I can see from the usual Disney fodder is that Big Friendly Giant is not nearly as loud, yet it captivated my child throughout, the songs sent her into peals of laughter. As far as I can tell this tape has not been dubbed or the voices altered in any way for the American market (a la Bob the Builder, Brambly Hedge, etc.)
I also recommend (based on my child's response): William's Wish Wellingtons, Noddy, Old Bear Stories, Rupert and the Runaway Dragon, Postman Pat, Brum and the Baby Carriage, The Secret of Roan Inish, The Borrowers, Thomas the Tank Engine, the Princess and the Goblin.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BFG, a review ., April 3, 2000
By A Customer
The BFG is imaginative, scary, happy, heartwarming, joyous, and has terrific actors: David Jason is so superb as the giant that no-one can ever do better, and Amanda Root is charming and touching as Sophie. My five-year old son and I have watched it several days' running, anticipating numerous glorious moments. It is a joy and a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie for Classroom Use, April 10, 1999
I teach second grade and have shown this movie after I have read the book (The BFG) aloud to them. The movie follows the book's storyline, and is a delight for the children especially since they can anticipate what will happen. My original tape has become damaged so I was very glad to have found a replacement at Amazon.com!

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as Good as the Book! (Sam & his Dad), August 21, 2005
True to the book, good animation, one of the great adaptations. We had to pay $$ to get this, it is never shown on TV nor is it available any longer in the USA. Don't buy a British one, it won't play on an American video recorder. The sound is a little muffled on our copy... You should DEFINITELY read Matilda and rent that video too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific addition to other Roald Dahl classics!, December 7, 1998
By A Customer
Wow! Being a big fan of "Willie Wonka" and "James and the Giant Peach", I found this video to be true to the roots laid down by these earlier classics. The animation was superb, the characters were completely believable, and the story was very touching. The five year old I watched it with was enthralled by what he saw, and raved about it for hours afterward. One of the best adaptations of Roald Dahl we've ever seen!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BFG an exciting event, March 9, 2006
A Kid's Review
The BFG

Do you now where dreams come from? Imagination, mind, giants and trumpets, I know its all odd. When little, brave, and smart Sophie looks out her window what does she see?

Have you ever scared a queen right out of her socks?That is exactly what little Sophie does with her friend the BFG! What kind of power do they need?

Snozzcumbers? Frobscottle? Whizzpopers? The flesh Lumpeader? What are all these objects anyway? Where do dreams come from too?

The Bloodbottler is attacking! What are they going to use the BFGs power or sophies big brains or both .Maybe the Bloodbottler is a little numb.What is a bloodbottler who is he?

So what exactly are all these extraordinary things? In this fantasy by Roald Dahl , just about anything could happen.

I would recomend this book to anyone who likes exciting and funfilled books and if you are in to total mystery and excitment.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a great movie!, May 25, 2007
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Roald Dahl's The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) (DVD)
this is the best movie in the history of animated movies! it is full of excitment with an enchanting story about a little girl named Sophie and a giant called the BFG (big friendly giant). i am 9 years old and i think the book is equally as good as the movie is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not true to book, May 16, 2010
Miss M (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as remembered, May 17, 2007
This review is from: Roald Dahl's The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) (DVD)
I watched this when I was a child and I decided to buy it for my children and they loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not The Book, May 16, 2007
L. K. Pickering (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roald Dahl's The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) (DVD)
I read this book every year with my 4th grade class. This year I thought we would watch the movie and practice comparing and contrasting the book and the movie. I was very disappointed in the movie. There's really nothing wrong with it, it's just not at all close to the book. It you're looking for a cute children's movie, it's okay but it you want to see Roald Dahl's "The BFG" you'll have to wait for another version.

Roald Dahl's The BFG (Big Friendly Giant)
Roald Dahl's The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) by Brian Cosgrove (DVD - 2006)
$19.98 $13.99