Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on April 5, 2015
I've been on a binge recently watching lots of 1950s budget Westerns. As a kid these movies escaped me because I didn't start going to theaters until the 1960s. In the 50s I sat glued to the TV watching cartoons and Three Stooges shorts. My Western viewing consisted mostly of the Hoppy, Gene and Roy variety. By the early 60s my interest shifted to monsters and Westerns weren't rekindled until the Spaghetti variety kick-started a few more years out of the American product which had been lying dormant. So, other than what was offered on television and the bigger product, SHANE, HIGH NOON, THE SEARCHERS, I entirely missed seeing budget Western movies from the 1950s, and as there were so many of them, I've been doing a lot of catching up lately.
What has really surprised me is just how good so many of these Westerns actually are. From watching Westerns on television I suppose that I was expecting these movies to have a very studio bound look to them with lots of sound stages and very little location work. What I found was stunning location work, interesting stories and an exceptional viewing experience, especially from lower budgeted programmers, such as the Westerns that George Montgomery made. And ROBBERS' ROOST is no exception. The Eastman Color cinematography and outdoor location shooting is outstanding, unlike Westerns made a decade or so later when muted browns and sepias were constantly used to project a feeling of past history and marginal authenticity.
Wheelchair bound Bruce Bennett hires two rival outlaw gangs to deliver his cattle to market, his idea being that each gang will keep the other one honest by not letting that gang pull a fast one. It almost works. One gang is led by Peter Graves, the other by Richard Boone, who makes you uncomfortable just by watching him display all his psycho tics. George Montgomery joins up with Boone's faction, but he's really after the last member of a gang that killed and raped his wife. Stolen horses with Montgomery's brand on them are here, so he knows his quest is nearly over. The acting is uniformly excellent, the plot involving and it's all very believable and, as I said, ROBBERS' ROOST really looks great with it's vivid color and rugged locations. Another reviewer says this film is presented in full frame format as does the DVD packaging. However, it filled the entire screen on my widescreen TV, so maybe it was formatted to do so, and if so, it really looked great. Five stars. High on entertainment, highly recommended.
on June 26, 2013
One of my passions is watching nostalgic western tv shows. This movie highlighted a number of actors who shortly after this 1955 movie was made starred in their own television shows. In recent months I have been watching Richard Boone in his gun for hire role of Have Gun Will Travel, and it was interesting to see him, minus the Paladin moustache, play a charismatic yet nasty villain. Montgomery went on to star in the Cimarron City portrayed the hero.

As a movie it provided for a good yarn The plot was obvious and the ending came as no surprise, but the journey was enjoyable. I recommend this to nostalgic western movie buffs.
on January 20, 2014
For the right price,"Robbers Roost" is a great action filled western with plenty of star power.The movie is full frame,83 minutes in length,in color,beautiful scenery,family friendly,and a 4.5 out of 5 transfer.Loved it...support your favorite artists.
on June 26, 2012
I'm a fan of westerns and happened upon this film some months ago on the western channel. At that time it was not available on dvd so I taped it as I enjoy richard boone's work. I'm glad it is now available and I purcased it as soon as I saw it. If you like westerns and or richard boone I recommend it.
on August 28, 2013
this is a movie based on a Zane Gray book (I was never a fan of his works but he had three books that were very good)it took the good parts and made them better and made it into a story with people that were not slow witted and more in tune to what the west really was. A good cast of people helped made the movie enjoyable.
on January 7, 2016
A very good transfer. Still has some flaws, but very entertaining.
on April 21, 2016
Great Seller. Would use again. Thanks, Ron!
on May 19, 2014
CAST WAS WELL THOUGHT OF AND I ENJOYED THE STORY. DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE OF THE CALIBER. THANK YOU.
on January 29, 2016
good movie
on June 27, 2015
this film is coming to blu-ray in a few months.