5.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed Michael Brandman's novel.
Realizing that everyone has different tastes and opinions, I find myself wanting to praise the books I enjoy. If I don't get into a novel for whatever reason, I won't waste the time in critizing it. Maybe it was simply me and not the author, plus what I don't like, someone else might. So, reviews should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Though Michael...
Published on September 15, 2012 by Wayne C. Rogers

3.0 out of 5 stars Jesse Stone, back on the case(s)!
Published on September 11, 2012 by Don In Fremont

3.0 out of 5 stars Jesse Stone, back on the case(s)!, September 11, 2012
This review is from: Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (A Jesse Stone Novel) (Hardcover)
Brandman took something of a beating upon release of his first effort, Killing The Blues....those bashers will find much to dislike in Fool Me Twice as well, so we'll dispense with that first. It's not Parker, not even close. He's probably never meant to be taken as such, he seems like a humble enough guy. For that, you'll have to be satisfied with Atkins' Spenser (it's really good). Brandman tells the same character's stories his way, for better or worse.

As such, Fool Me Twice feels more like a well-constructed Jesse TV-movie-for-cable than a novel. Which is just fine, really.

Brandman provides us with the usual Paradise cast, powered by 3 trope-ish plot threads that get nicely resolved. They provide character, death, romance and a chance for Jesse to show all the sides make readers care about his stories.

There is, thankfully, nary a mention of ex-wife Jenn, for which Brandman deserves hearty praise...way to process, Jesse!!

Brandman's issues du jour issues include child-rearing, meth-madness, and the world water situation, all worthy and used to good effect here.

So, another fans-only release that will garner many heated opinions....something Dr. Bob would surely get behind!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorta like Parker...., September 12, 2012
...but not enough like him.

Brandman imitates Parker the way Tina Fey imitates Sarah Palin: you can tell it's an imitation. The voice is close to Parker's, but no cigar. He tries to get as many issues into play as he can: water availability, drug effects, the typical murder and mayhem, Hollywood narcissism. Reminds me of a limerick* I saw a long time ago. It was not a satisfying novel from those points of view, and it only made me mourn Parker's passing all the more.

As for the Beretta .38 automatic issue, I, too, was surprised at that and checked it: they really do make it. What no one makes are cirrus clouds that rain--referred to in the book. A mess. Advice: don't get it. Just read the originals and accept them as the complete set.

*The Limerick:

There once was a poet named Wood
Whose poems were not very good.
The problem was this:
He oft went amiss
By putting as many words and syllables and ideas into the last line as he possibly could.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed Michael Brandman's novel., September 15, 2012
Wayne C. Rogers "Wayne C. Rogers" (Las Vegas, Nevada United States) - See all my reviews

Though Michael Brandman's first Jesse Stone novel, Killing the Blues, read somewhat like a teleplay for a TV movie (it didn't bother me in the least), his newest venture into Jesse Stone fictional territory, Fool Me Twice, hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. I loved his first book, but enjoyed this one even more. I believe that he and fellow author, Ace Atkins (Spenser's Lullaby) now have the two main series by Parker down pat. Both Spenser and Jesse Stone are in good hands, and I feel that Bob would be extremely pleased to know his children had been placed in loving homes.

The newest Jesse Stone novel has a big movie crew showing up into Paradise, Massachusetts to shoot a film with Marisol Hinton in it, Hollywood's up-and-coming starlet. She has just separated from her husband, who is also an actor. Leaving him penniless, he's determined to extract his revenge by following her to Paradise and killing her to collect the insurance. Stone makes the suggestion of getting Marisol a bodyguard, and Wilson Cromartie (aka Crow) is hired through the chief's recommendation. Crow is definitely a character I want to see more of and to learn about his past.

While that is going on, Chief Stone is the witness to a traffic accident, involving a young debutante (Courtney Cassidy) who was texting on her cell phone, instead of paying attention to the road. She gives Jesse a lot of attitude because her parents are wealthy, and he decides to go after her after everyone else advises him to drop the case. It isn't long before he realizes Courtney is a troubled teen and is silently calling out for help. The problem is how to reach her when he hits a brick wall with every move.

Now, while those two scenarios are in place, Chief Stone receives some complaints from the local citizens about their higher than usual water bills. The problem here is that there was never a mention about any rate increases. Jesse has to find out if anything is going on underneath the table that may be illegal. Who ever thought water could be exciting, unless you're stuck out in the desert without any.

Even while juggling three cases in the air, our hero still has time to date the Line Producer (Francis "Frankie" Greenberg) of the movie being filmed. Jesse certainly hasn't lost that touch with the ladies. Fortunately for Jesse and the readers, his ex-wife Jenn is barely mentioned in the book, plus he's cut back on his drinking, which always good. Also, as any reader can vouch for, none of Jesse's relationships ever amount to anything.

Most of the main characters from the books are also back: Molly, Suitcase Simpson, Captain Healey, Carter Hanson, and Hasty Hathaway. Unlike the television series, Jesse Stone has a cat to keep him company, instead of a dog. Since I'm both a cat and dog person, it doesn't matter to me. I get along fine with both species because they know I'm a pushover.

The writing in Fool Me Twice is somewhat reminiscent of Robert Parker's style, but still Michael Brandman's own. He has the dialogue and subtle nuances pitch perfect, the story structure clearly down, the character development right on the nose, the twist and turns that keeps the reader flipping over to the next page are there at the end of every chapter, and the finale wraps everything up in a way that is most satisfying. In other words, Mr. Brandman is definitely the man when it comes to writing Jesse Stone either for the literary community or the viewing audience.

There's one last thing I need to mention that is important. As I've gotten older, my reading has slowed down considerably. It now takes me one-to-two weeks to read an average size novel. I read Fool Me Twice in less than five hours. I couldn't put it down, until I finally reached the last page. It was that good to me.

Needless to say, I highly recommend this book to the fans of both Robert Parker and Jesse Stone. I sincerely hope Michael Brandman will continue with the series. I certainly look forward to more Jesse Stone novels in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame On Me, December 4, 2012
Shame on me is of course the end of the saying this title is based one. Shame on me for starting to read this one.

I felt lukewarm about the first Brandman installment of Jesse Stone. Although it wasn't intrinsically *wrong*, it wasn't completely right either.

I can always tell books written by TV writers - there's just something in the verbal style and the way the denouement comes together that just feels like a TV show rather than being written by someone who has evolved their writing style by digesting literature. TV writers also have a tendency to disregard the laws of science and psychology. (Side note: the greatest sin in my reckoning is the villain that EXPLAINS. I'm pretty convinced that real bad guys will just shoot you without that much ado.)

The first real symptom of TV-itis inherent in this volume is evident in the first few pages, where Jesse cuts airbags to release two car crash victims. It took me less than a minute of research to confirm my (correct) understanding that airbags are designed to deflate instantly after cushioning the passenger. They do not stay inflated and do need to be cut to let the passengers out. How this fact got past the editors should be a point of shame on the editors at Putnam books!

I tried my best to put this behind me, but at every turn of the virtual page, I found some other characterization or plot aspect that didn't sit right with me. I couldn't stomach it and I don't know if the villains explained at the end, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. The Parker family should have let the characters rest in peace with their author.

1.0 out of 5 stars Barely readable, December 28, 2012
C. H Mitchum (Chelmsford, MA USA) - See all my reviews
it is difficult to review this without giving away many of the so called plot lines, but here goes: Jesse becomes obsessed with trying to reform the teen aged daughter of thr richest couple in town, he does this by repeatededly arresting her, of course it works and she is sweet and lovable at the end. Jesse takes it upon himself to invest a scam in the toen water department, this gives the author a chance to preach about how we waste water (which we do) but enough with the preaching. After a star is murdered, Jesse allows his faithful Indian companion to torture the killer, before said killer is arrested. His faithful secretary is sassy beyond belief and finally, Jesse manages to hop in bed with hard working gal from Hollywood, let's see, 4 hours after they meet. All in all a mini book that is too cute and too tritr to warrant a repeat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Blasphemy, November 11, 2012
I wanted to enjoy it, truly I did. Robert B. Parker was my all time favorite go to author. I truly mourned his passing. No one could equal him at writing his own characters but I wanted to give this a try figuring his estate couldn't possibly let dreck be published in his name.

I was wrong.

I got to the end of the first chapter and couldn't go on. It was nothing like Mr. Parker, nothing at all. Traitorous and sophomoric. There is probably better fan written fiction for free on the internet. I just don't understand, although I am truly happy for the reviewers who rate it 3, 4 & 5 stars - I wish I could have.

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not Mr. Parker (yet), September 19, 2012
The author gave it a good try, but he still needs to put a bit more time in his writing. Besides the story fizzling out toward the end, I'm sure Mr. Parker would not have a line like "pointing a short barreled Rugar .45-millimeter automatic pistol" in his book. No wonder the barrel was short, if the bullet was only the diameter of a hair! I'll keep reading though, and hoping he'll get better.

1.0 out of 5 stars A pathetic parody ... but of what?, September 16, 2012
Michael Brandman's new Jesse Stone novel is a pathetic parody, but "a parody of what?" is the question. It is certainly not a parody of Robert Parker's wonderful Jesse Stone books. Fool Me Twice bears almost no resemblance -- in style, story line or depth of characterization -- to Parker's series.

Ace Atkins clearly understands Spenser, and I have no objection to his post-Parker Lullaby, but this sad piece of work by Brandman (oh, the unintended irony of his name!) is like reading a bad screenplay that takes the complexities and genius of Parker's small town police chief and turns him into a one-dimensional goofball.

Surely, the Estate of Robert B. Parker isn't in such need of money that it will allow this sort of thing to be continued. Please, no more Michael Brandman mangling of Jesse Stone!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, October 6, 2012
Having been a fan of Robert B. Parker for loe these many years, I was saddened by his death. I felt that we had lost an author who successfully combined very good whodunits with some humor and that special little twist that brought back again and again to the next anticipated book.
Sadly, his death has also been the death of my anticipation.
I realize he would be hard to follow, but hoped that we would find someone who could carry on the special genre. Not to be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jesse Stone lives on, September 11, 2012
I have absolutely no problem with Mr. Brandman taking over the writing for Robert B. Parker and do not understand the comments of those who go out of their way to find fault. I, like others who enjoyed and always looked forward to the next installments of Spenser and Jesse Stone novels over the years, was saddened and dismayed when I learned of Mr. Parker's passing. I was happy to learn that someone was continuing with his writings, especially someone who actually knew him and was intimate with his style of writing and knew his characters. Okay, his style may be a little different, but the characters are the same and the mood carries on from Mr. Parker's original writings. Even though at times the prose may read more like a screenplay, Mr. Brandman's corroboration with Mr. Parker is obvious throughout his books. And if Tom Selleck gives his approval, then that's certainly good enough for me! I am happy that Mr. Brandman is continuing the Spenser and Jesse Stone works and giving me the opportunity to read the books that I love. "Fool Me Twice" is a welcome addition to the ongoing Jesse Stone collection.

Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (A Jesse Stone Novel)
Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (A Jesse Stone Novel) by Michael Brandman (Hardcover - September 11, 2012)
Used & New from: $0.01