5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic recipes straight from the source
Published 14 months ago by Ali Julia

2.0 out of 5 stars Beat Up in Shipping
The edges of the hardback cover were beat up in shipping. The content is fine.
Published 6 months ago by Lee R. Allen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic recipes straight from the source, November 18, 2013
There are some cookbooks that draw me in immediately. This is one of them. Just about every recipe has a photo of the finished dish right next to the recipe. The recipes fit on one page or two open pages so you don't have to flip a page as you cook. The left side of the page lists ingredients and the right hand side containing the instructions. The instructions are not just instructions what to do with the food but also how to select the perfect ingredient (time of the year, ripeness, etc).

As I read the recipes I could hear my grandmother talking about cooking, the recipes are conversational, friendly, warm. For example, the fairy tale eggplant recipe start this way "The only way to screw up this dish is to use garden-variety eggplants...." The apple burrata goes like this "At the restaurant, the process of choosing apples for this dish is intense. We are pretty sure it's as intense as a Senate confirmation hearing..." The history of Roberta's restaurant is woven through the recipes. I thought it was very well done and enhanced how I related to the recipes.

The book contains a large number of pizza recipes, but this is not just a pizza recipe book. The book has vegetable recipes, pasta, seafood, meat and desserts. Some recipes use hard to get Italian ingredients and at the end of the book there is a section called "Sources" which gives suggestions on where to obtain them.

I have tried several recipes (Diver scallops in plum juice, Quince Gingerbread) and I found the recipes easy to follow and the dishes came out as good as I hoped from the description. I received this book from the publisher and I have really enjoyed reading it and trying the recipes. If you like Italian cooking these recipes come straight from the source. Buon appetito!

Ali Julia review

Drinks
Sources
Acknowledgements
Index

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of the Momofuku's book in the very best way., November 6, 2013
Ohn Ho (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberta's Cookbook (Hardcover)
Been curious about Roberta's since I've been listening to Cooking Issues podcast, so I decided to pick it up since the show makes it seem like Xanadu. For some reason, I thought it was going to be JUST a pizza book, but it's filled with inventive, inspirational recipes, which most of them, I'll be able to cook at home. (Some recipes call for a juicer or harder to source ingredients.) Some of the exotic (to me) ingredients, ideas and irreverence is reminiscent of Chang's book. I've had it for only a week and have read it from cover to cover. Only bummer is the red ink is starting to show wear on the cover, but I suppose it'll show that I've been using it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to make better pizza at home, you need this cookbook, January 6, 2014
Urban Fantasy Fan (Wilmington, NC, US) - See all my reviews
As someone who tends to buy cookbooks with great intentions and then watches them stack up, I've tried to curb my tendency to buy more. However, this is a keeper. Simply by using their techniques to slap out the pizza dough, I've already upped my home pizza game. But this is so much more than a pizza cookbook. Wow. These guys are not pretentious but they know how to cook. I can't wait to make my own English muffins and fifteen other recipes in this one. Great job Roberta's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - original...for a cookbook, December 29, 2013
This review is from: Roberta's Cookbook (Hardcover)
I got this book as a gift from someone who has been to the restaurant and loved it. I was intrigued by the illustrations so I began reading the actual "story" and quickly finished the book, occasionally looking at some of the recipes. It was a great story; well written and matched equally with pictures and illustrations to entertain and teach. And now that I think I understand how to make a great pizza dough I can't wait to try as many of these recipes as I can...provided I'm able to attain some of the obscure ingredients. Cookbooks are often tedious and pretentious, this one stole the show and exhibited the unique personality I expect you'd find at the restaurant. I've not been to Roberta's, yet, but I feel as though I have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food, great memories, January 18, 2015
This review is from: Roberta's Cookbook (Hardcover)
If you love great food and expanding upon the range of ingredients you'd normally work with—this goes far beyond just pizza.

Watching Roberta's open, grow and flourish over my years in Brooklyn, the stories provided within also make this a great book for nostalgic value.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love visiting my son who lives in Brooklyn, December 14, 2014
This review is from: Roberta's Cookbook (Hardcover)
We love visiting my son who lives in Brooklyn. We love eating Pizza at Roberta's so of course we love the cook book, also!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Italian, November 26, 2014
This review is from: Roberta's Cookbook (Hardcover)
I want to try this restaurant the next time, I am in New York. Nice addition to my over 2,000 cookbook library.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... books and this one is definitely one of the best I have, November 16, 2014
Stéphane Vollet (Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberta's Cookbook (Hardcover)
I collect cook books and this one is definitely one of the best I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read plus fabulous recipes, December 28, 2013
This review is from: Roberta's Cookbook (Hardcover)
A unique cookbook for anyone interested in more than just recipes. Roberta's start is documented with lively stories and a unique glimpse into how a restaurant gets off the ground. It doesn't hurt that the recipes are beautifully photographed and described.
This is not your grandmother's cookbook!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty layout and design, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Roberta's Cookbook (Hardcover)
The layout and design of this cookbook is amazing, as you get to read about the history of Roberta's while also getting the inside scoop on its famous pizza recipes. It's a nice cookbook to have!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Roberta's Cookbook
Roberta's Cookbook by Carlo Mirarchi (Hardcover - October 29, 2013)
$35.00 $28.65