Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Roberta's Cookbook
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

There are some cookbooks that draw me in immediately. This is one of them. Just about every recipe has a photo of the finished dish right next to the recipe. The recipes fit on one page or two open pages so you don't have to flip a page as you cook. The left side of the page lists ingredients and the right hand side containing the instructions. The instructions are not just instructions what to do with the food but also how to select the perfect ingredient (time of the year, ripeness, etc).

As I read the recipes I could hear my grandmother talking about cooking, the recipes are conversational, friendly, warm. For example, the fairy tale eggplant recipe start this way "The only way to screw up this dish is to use garden-variety eggplants...." The apple burrata goes like this "At the restaurant, the process of choosing apples for this dish is intense. We are pretty sure it's as intense as a Senate confirmation hearing..." The history of Roberta's restaurant is woven through the recipes. I thought it was very well done and enhanced how I related to the recipes.

The book contains a large number of pizza recipes, but this is not just a pizza recipe book. The book has vegetable recipes, pasta, seafood, meat and desserts. Some recipes use hard to get Italian ingredients and at the end of the book there is a section called "Sources" which gives suggestions on where to obtain them.

I have tried several recipes (Diver scallops in plum juice, Quince Gingerbread) and I found the recipes easy to follow and the dishes came out as good as I hoped from the description. I received this book from the publisher and I have really enjoyed reading it and trying the recipes. If you like Italian cooking these recipes come straight from the source. Buon appetito!

Ali Julia review

Sources
Acknowledgements
Index
on November 6, 2013
Been curious about Roberta's since I've been listening to Cooking Issues podcast, so I decided to pick it up since the show makes it seem like Xanadu. For some reason, I thought it was going to be JUST a pizza book, but it's filled with inventive, inspirational recipes, which most of them, I'll be able to cook at home. (Some recipes call for a juicer or harder to source ingredients.) Some of the exotic (to me) ingredients, ideas and irreverence is reminiscent of Chang's book. I've had it for only a week and have read it from cover to cover. Only bummer is the red ink is starting to show wear on the cover, but I suppose it'll show that I've been using it again and again.
on April 10, 2016
I have over 75 books on pizza and I would rate this book somewhere in the middle. Not because it's not a good read or not enough information. I thought this was a pizza book. Turns out, pizza is only about 10 % of the book. The rest is their restaurant recipes, which a lot of people might like. Especially, if they are customers of Roberta's.
on January 6, 2014
As someone who tends to buy cookbooks with great intentions and then watches them stack up, I've tried to curb my tendency to buy more. However, this is a keeper. Simply by using their techniques to slap out the pizza dough, I've already upped my home pizza game. But this is so much more than a pizza cookbook. Wow. These guys are not pretentious but they know how to cook. I can't wait to make my own English muffins and fifteen other recipes in this one. Great job Roberta's!
on January 18, 2015
If you love great food and expanding upon the range of ingredients you'd normally work with—this goes far beyond just pizza.

Watching Roberta's open, grow and flourish over my years in Brooklyn, the stories provided within also make this a great book for nostalgic value.
on February 11, 2014
Carlo has made a beautiful place to enjoy in Bushwick. The night I went saw three TV chefs, 2 actors. But this is not because it is cool place to go it is great food. PBR in hand and a pizza and some sides. What fun and the cookbook shares the how and why and fabulous menu items
on September 19, 2015
i just bought it ..because i loved the pizza recipe in the NY Times...but the book is a bit of a disappointment...for me...one recipe ...and some additional info about the recipe..but nothing else for me! but then again...i have never been to the restaurant..so maybe others will find it exciting!
on December 28, 2013
A unique cookbook for anyone interested in more than just recipes. Roberta's start is documented with lively stories and a unique glimpse into how a restaurant gets off the ground. It doesn't hurt that the recipes are beautifully photographed and described.
This is not your grandmother's cookbook!
on December 14, 2014
We love visiting my son who lives in Brooklyn. We love eating Pizza at Roberta's so of course we love the cook book, also!
on June 11, 2014
LOVE,LOVE,LOVE THIS BOOK. RECIPES ARE FRESH, ORIGINAL AND CREATIVE.......................AMAZING PICTURES AND A GREAT STORY OF THESE HARD WORKING GUYS. ONE OF MY FAVORITE RECIPES IS THE ASPARAGUS, EGG YOLK TROUT ROE. COULDN' FIND TROUT ROE SO I USED SALMON. IT WAS GREAT. TRY IT, YOU WILL LOVE IT.!!!