Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves (Two-Disc Special E...” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 61% off the $26.99 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves (Two-Disc Special Extended Edition)
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Christian Slater, Alan Rickman, and Sean Connery star in this historical action-adventure breathing new life into the legendary, swashbuckling hero who defends the poor and battles the evil Sheriff of Nottingham in England's Sherwood Forest. After Robin barely survives a watery skirmish with Little John (Nick Brimble), the two become allies, and Robin joins forces with Little John's band of robber thieves, along with a philosophizing Moor (Freeman). The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song.]]>
Top Customer Reviews
Of all the Robin Hood films ever produced, it's readily apparent that Prince of Thieves relies less on genuine historical accuracy and leans more toward Hollywood flair which still makes for an entertaining film. Despite using no English accent (which appears to grate on some reviewers for some reason), Kevin Costner presents himself well in the role of Robin Hood. Coupled with fine performances from Morgan Freeman, Alan Rickman, Christian Slater, and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, (to name just a few), the story moves at an exciting pace and hits the mark as a stand up adventure movie that doesn't disappoint.
As for the new 2 disc special edition release of this movie, it just got a whole lot better. Not having to flip the disc over any more to see the entire feature like in the first release, you now have a new digital transfer and a remastered DTS 5.1 soundtrack and both are outstanding. On disc 2 you have great bonus material enhancing the value and enjoyment even further. Included is a decent documentary on the making of Prince of Thieves, Bryan Adams performing his music video of '(Everything I do) I do it for you', an interactive mediaeval weapons gallery, cast and crew bios, production notes, interviews with cast and crew, and trailers and t.v. spots.
You don't really have to be a die-hard Robin Hood fan to enjoy this movie. The film has a few flaws and stretches the historical aspect somewhat but it plays out well with plenty of action, adventure, humor, and fun. This special edition release would be a good addition to any DVD collection and I recommend it to everyone.
Let me clear a few things up:
1. "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" was on a tight production schedule. There were three (count 'em, three) Robin Hood movies being produced at the same time, and the one to come out finished first would be the one released in theatres. One production gave up and backed out. That left two Robin Hood movies - one with Kevin Costner, and one with Patrick Bergen.
2. Because of the tight schedule, Kevin Costner's accent was dropped to be "dubbed over" in post production. They simply didn't have the time to worry about accents if they wanted to get the movie finished.
3. Filming complete, the dubbing was dropped because of lack of time and the movie was finished. "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" was released theatre-wide, whereas the Patrick Bergen version was slated for TV.
Now that I have the little niggling thing about accents straightened up, get passed it and watch the movie for what it was intended: pure entertainment.
There is plenty of humor - from Little John's river fighting antics and his wife's bantering, to the Sheriff of Nottingham's humorous frustrations ("why a spoon, cousin, why not an ax" - "Because it's dull, you twit, it will hurt more!"), the viewer is not disappointed. The entire cast was enjoyable to watch, and the costuming was superb.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A classic. Worth purchasing just to have Alan Rickman ready to say, "Because it's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more" anytime you need a pick-me-up.Published 4 days ago by Mary McKinley
Classic story told again with fresh perspective, great selection of actors, and of course good triumphs over evil.Published 6 days ago by Amazon Customer
This version of Robin Hood has many differences with the usual version of the legend, such as Robin having a brother and having a partner who is a black Muslim, no shooting... Read morePublished 6 days ago by Israel Drazin
Good portrayal of this story and character, this version will always be the original to me.Published 8 days ago by Jesse Deringer
Loved it thoroughly! This is for the Blu-ray version. Although it is still slightly better on this format and comes with some good features here, I think WB could have done better... Read morePublished 8 days ago by Leland
I loved the late Alan Rickman as the nasty sheriff, but I felt the movie was very flat as the acting was pretty flat. Read morePublished 10 days ago by Chicy
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Extended Editions
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Two-Disc Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama