Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

on September 3, 2012
This is a pretty interesting puzzle game. It's a mix of a lot of things to keep you preoccupied. It's a bit like scrabble, where you are given a set of letters to make words in order to 'defend yourself' after you have been attacked by mice, skeletons, etc. You face these beings in dungeons, and these dungeons are shown on a World Map. The map shows where you are, and how many dungeons you will have to go through (which are a lot).

You are able to choose your own game mode, and these are your options:
Kid Mode - starts with extra health, words do double damage
Normal - Standard Rules
Wizard - Experts only! Starts on Dungeon 4. No oracle tiles

You really have to get creative with the words, for you cannot use the same word twice (it seems ever), so I can see this being a perfect game for a person really into puzzles.

For me personally it was a pretty good game, but I don't think I would get through the entire map in one sitting. It's definitely something for me to check into every once and a while when I'm bored, because it is a challenging game, it's just a tad redundant.

However, once you amass a certain amount of points there are extra squares you are given that have powers that play to your advantage (like a healing one, extra points, oracle eye that creates the best word out of all your letters, etc etc).

But I love the added paranormal-ish element to it - it's not just a regular word game. There are probably added features that I haven't gotten to (I'm on the fifth dungeon right now), so I can't wait to see what else is offered. I also appreciate that there are different modes, so you can practice a little and receive hints on how to play in the kid mode before attempting the normal or wizard modes.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The object of the game is to make words from the available letters and the longer the word the better. These words are like magic spells and they destroy the various creatures living in the dungeon. There are 25 dungeons that need your skills. If your word is too small it will not destroy the evil creature you are fighting. It takes multiple words to kill some creatures and you are facing a timer. The letters don't get added very quickly so you are using the same letters to form as many words as possible out of mostly the same letters so it can get difficult. There are special tiles to increase damage, restore health, and many other features but they don't come often in the game. They are described in the Help section of the game so I will not go over the long list here.

This is a pretty good word game and the killing of the creatures is just a little twist to keep you entertained. I like the power up tiles and they do help a lot. I didn't care that whenever you get defeated you have to start all the way back to the first dungeon again. I was in a higher dungeon level, about 5 or 6 levels in and the timer ran out and I finally got beat and I had to start the journey all over.

Touching Scores does let you see scores on the world score board or you can see your local scores only if you want. This is one of the features that make me always wonder what else is being shared with the world? This is why I do not like full internet access as you always wonder what else is going on. As a single player game it doesn't really need internet access and this unnecessary permission should be turned off. When you complete your game it asks for your game name and you can save your score and choose not to share your score with the online server.

The help instructions are good and take the time to read them as they can be helpful to get you quickly up to speed. The game played well on the Kindle Fire and I turned the music down to an acceptable level using the Kindle's volume slider.

I gave the game 4 stars as I thought it was a good game. The one star deduction is for having to start over at the beginning if you lose after getting multiple levels into the game and for having full internet access. Making you start over just makes the game action redundant and not nearly as much fun as seeing new creatures and challenges in a game. I detected no spyware or data mining going on.

* Toggle all sounds on/off

* Scores
* Options
* Help
* About - a long list of credits

Network communication - full internet access
Size is 7.9 MB uncompressed and once it installed the 224 KB went into the Kindle Fire app memory and 12.506 MB went into the memory reserved for you books and other data.
on September 3, 2012
With so many word games out there simply churning out the same format over and over I was thrilled to find this clever little gem. If you like word games and dungeon crawlers of old then this is a must.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 3, 2012
The game is fun until you get halfway through it and get a set of letters with no vowels so that you can't even make a word. When this happens, you can only sit there helplessly and watch yourself lose. I'd rather lose based on my own abilities not because the randomness of the game left me without any ability to continue. Fix this and you'll get your fifth star. May I suggest some sort of scramble option, even if it cost you points or abilities or something? May I also suggest code that makes absolutely sure there are 1 or 2 vowels in the letters at all times? Thank you!
on September 3, 2012
This is one of the better word games I've played. I just made it to dungeon 6 on the normal level and it was challenging and fun to me. It reminds me of the game Bookworm Adventures. I would have given 5 stars if I didn't have to go back to the very beginning when time runs out. That is annoying.
on September 25, 2012
Dungeon Scroll is a clever take on the basic Scrabble mechanic of creating words from a set of tiles. The hook is that the words you create power spells that damage your foes, with longer words inflicting greater damage. In each dungeon, you use a single set of letter tiles to create all your words. The tiles aren't expended, but you can only use each word once, so you are forced to come up with a number of permutations for each set of tiles. This allows some minor strategy about whether to save a longer word for a harder monster or use it right away to make sure you score points for it. The game play gets a boost from a variety of special tiles that can be acquired by creating longer words. The tiles are single use, but generally increase the value of a word or give you extra time to create words (there is an element of time pressure that comes from having your life slowly sapped by your foes). The tiles can be carried over between dungeons, so they offer a nice way of adding some variety to the stock letter set you receive for each dungeon. You can also earn special powers for defeating particularly strong foes or encounter a handful of enemies with resistance to certain types of words. The progression through the various dungeons, the gradually increasing stock of special powers, and the special tiles all give the game a vaguely RPG feel, although you'll never mistake it for anything other than a word game. It doesn't have quite the same level of charm and polish as the somewhat similar Book Worm Adventures, but it is still a fun (and surprisingly addictive) take on the genre for a very modest price.
on November 12, 2011
Dungeon Scroll is actually pretty cool. The game is a cross between Text Twist, Boggle and Scrabble, with monsters you defeat creating word "spells". The RPG elements are very light, and include boosting your health, boosting damage, add luck for magic tiles or add points to your lot, and they come up as you're playing the game, so, its not a brainer. The addicting part comes with the attacks as some of them get faster and harder as you go along. The game is so addicting, I just wish it were a little longer. (the harder levels really are hard.) If you like word games, the price is right for this retro styled gem. (Wishlist: The graphics could be a little better. The game could be a little longer with additional worlds and more monsters. It would also be fun to make this multiplayer online to play against your friends ala "Words With Friends".)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
You start each dungeon (level) with several letters and 15 hit points. You face multiple enemies one after another and form words to attach their hit points. They attack as well and you will lose HP as you play. Longer words hit harder and so on. As you kill enemies you also get special letters worth double HP attacks or magic pieces that tell you the best word to attack with. Your hit points are reset and you keep unused special pieces after each level.

So basically Boggle with a theme.

Unlike many reviewers I didn't think much of the game. It has a very boring interface, low Res graphics - each dungeon is a door with enemies in front of it. If this game were a true dungeon crawler with the ability to move where you wanted and to have random enemies encounters and maybe a point this would be better. I am thinking of an old school dungeon crawler on a PC aand this setup doesn't compare. There isn't even a story.

But it isn't a data miner and the game works so 3 stars. Just OK.
on September 3, 2012
I enjoy playing it, but the first time I played it I got 9 dungeons in and the game quit responding and when I went back into it I had to start over from the 1st dungeon.
I believe the game should save progress after every completed dungeon so if something happens or you just have to stop the game before dying or completing the dungeon you can reopen the game later on and continue from where you left off.

Also instead of completely starting over each time maybe you should incorporate different lands or something that consists of a group of 5 or so dungeons that you can restart from if you die.
on September 3, 2012
As a fan of dungeon crawlers AND word games, I couldn't pass this on up, especially as the FAOTD today. I hadn't seen it before and probably would have paid for it as it sounded so intriguing. I usually don't like timed word games as I'm not all that fast, but this one providers a reason to hurry besides a clock ticking - create quickly or die! I like that! It gives you the choice of three levels , kids, normal, or wizard which is great though I haven't checked out kids or wizard yet. So I'm enjoying it so far and if I find it gets harder where I'm dying all the time, I can (shamefully) move to the kids level.