5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than that fantastic Criterion edition
Published on June 22, 2004 by La Maquina

1.0 out of 5 stars SAVE your money....same Robocop as previously issued....
so you can buy it for under ten bucks anywhere (and we all know it not only is a bad transfer but has NONE of the great bonus features available on the normal DVDs)..so all you get for your huge investment is a bare bones 2 and 3...

Published on October 13, 2010 by Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than that fantastic Criterion edition, June 22, 2004
La Maquina (Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robocop Trilogy (DVD)
I was skeptical about this when I first saw it at the store, as I already owned the fantastic Criterion edition DVD. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the new MGM unrated version found in the Trilogy boxed set is well worth it. So here is a review for people who already own the Criterion disc and are wondering if they should shell out their hard earned cash for this newer DVD.
Here are the differences I found between the new disc and the Criterion one...
PLUSES:
a.. Anamorphic widescreen. The Criterion disc was not anamorphic. As a result, the picture on the MGM disc is a lot less pixellated than the Criterion one. The color is also more saturated.
b.. New sound mix. The Criterion disc was mixed in Dolby surround. The new mix is in Dolby 5.1, and they obviously had fun remixing it. The surrounds are split and very directional. The sound is really an improvement in every way (see (d)).
c.. It's the same unrated cut that was on the Criterion disc.
d.. They fixed some of the excrutiatingly bad sound edits that were on the Criterion disc. Although Criterion had re-edited the violent footage back into the movie, they neglected to remix the sound for those moments, ie. they didn't remix the sound to blend the new footage. On the new MGM disc, they FINALLY fixed this. Now the new footage sounds like it was SUPPOSED to be there.
e.. As one reviewer mentioned before, the director's commentary on the MGM disc is new and completely different than the one on the Criterion disc (ie. don't throw away your Criterion disc).
f.. We finally have the sequels in anamorphic widescreen and Dolby 5.1. This is a plus or a minus depending on if you enjoy them or not! Although it would have been nice to have a longer version of Robocop 2, as Frank Miller has alluded that huge chunks of that movie were edited out of the final version.
g.. The new MGM version of Robocop also has some good documentaries and other curiosities for you to peruse (only on the unrated cut). These are NOT available on the bare-bones theatrical DVD that MGM has out for individual sale.
------------
MINUSES:
a.. The picture is a bit darker on the MGM disc than on the Criterion disc.
b.. The director's commentary was recorded when they were watching the theatrical cut of the movie, so it is oddly funny (and a bit distracting) that they will be commenting, "remember how we had to cut out the more violent shot of...." when we at home are actually watching the footage that they are talking about.
c.. If you don't like the sequels, it sucks to be you, because the only way to get the unrated cut of the first movie is to buy the boxed set.
d.. Don't really know if this is a minus or not as I'm not 100% sure what Verhoeven's intention was. The Criterion disc is framed at 1.66:1, and the new MGM disc is framed at 1.85:1. As it is, Criterion tends not to mess around. I'd wager that it's supposed to be projected at 1.66:1. Either way, 1.85:1 still looks pleasing.
-----------
All in all, more pluses than minuses I wager. I found that the new version has everything the Criterion one had, and it presents it in a more pleasing manner (sound, picture, extras, etc..). If you're a fan, I think this would be right up your alley.

1.0 out of 5 stars SAVE your money....same Robocop as previously issued...., October 13, 2010
This review is from: RoboCop Trilogy [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

I can't believe I got suckered into buying this but I couldn't imagine them doing this at that price...fool me once...well I'll wait in the future until some other person does the experimenting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware, No Extras, October 16, 2010
This review is from: RoboCop Trilogy [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Well I have to say, I'm a huge RoboCop fan and I was excited to get this on Blu-Ray. I didn't find any extras on the case, so I thought it would be on the BR itself, But no dice. The DVD has more Xtras than the Blu-Ray. The 2nd and 3rd have only a trailer and being a being a huge Robocop fan,I was hoping they would have a lost featurette or new Commentaries. I was disappointed in this purchase and I wouldn't recommend this, I'd suggest to pick up the first single disc of the first movie. Oh well, Live and Learn. I'm keeping this though since I already bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost CRITERION, almost..., June 9, 2004
This review is from: Robocop Trilogy (DVD)
The one thing that doesn't seem to be getting any fanfare, with the new release of this trilogy from MGM, is the fact that the first movie, is in fact, the UNCUT DIRECTOR's CUT, that was presently, till now, only available on the out of print (and pricey) Criterion version of this DVD.
Oddly enough, even the new trilogy packaging and extras, don't go out of their way to press, what you'd think would be a GREAT selling point, almost as if the decision to use the directors cut, was a last minute thing.
Funny enough, even the commentary (which, unfortunately, is NOT the commentary present on the Criterion disc) was made, with the director and crew, watching the theatrical version of the movie, as they keep referring to this fact, and discussing the deleted scenes, EVEN as we, the viewers, are watching the very scenes that they are saying are missing in this version. It also amazes me, as to how they managed to sync up the commentary to the cut film, over top of the uncut film, without any lag or dead spots, where the cut scenes are replaced, but they did it.
One thing that MGM did fail in though, is that they placed back in the cut scenes, but didn't bother to colour correct, or do anything, to make the scenes run seamlessly, as you can always spot the new scenes, by the sudden loss of quality in the picture, which, in itself, is another reason that you'd think that MGM would have indicated that this was the uncut version, and explained (as most movies that add in extra scenes, but don't bother trying to fix them up) that the extra scenes have not been cleaned up, so that the viewer doesn't think that the film has glitches, or that MGM's quality is inconsistent (as the overall picture quality is pretty descent, except for the extra scenes, that is).
Another complaint about the new set, is the stupidly constructed fold out packaging, as it boggles my mind, as to why they couldn't just use the new, slim DVD cases, in the box set slip cover, instead of the "Road Map-like" fold out, that you get.
You technically need a whole kitchen table to open the set up on, just to extract one disc from the set.
BUT, that said, for the money, this set is VERY good, and definitely worth getting.
Or is it just me? :)

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed batch..., April 4, 2002
This review is from: RoboBox (DVD)
ROBOCOP - The '87 blockbuster that started it all. Look, I'm well aware that this is not the "greatest" movie of all time, but it sure is my favorite. I grew up with it. I mean, true, the film's violence is pretty nasty an' unremitting even by today's standards (in fact, movies have gotten TAMER since then), but once you get past that you'll find an incredible world here that Paul Verhoeven created that has influenced many other films. It's cold an' cynical society is established through sardonic television news, commercial products, big business conferences, an' the idea that the body of a hero cop killed in the line of duty could be used as the blueprint for a new brand of law enforcement (marketed not by the police force, but by a major corporation). The movie is wickedly satirical, but there is also an incredibly human story beneath the surface, as Robocop, the half-man/half-machine, begins to re-discover his past and what he was, which makes him further resent what he has been turned into. If you're looking for the ultimate sci-fi movie, no need to look further. THIS is it. A modern classic.

ROBOCOP 2 - In some ways, 'Robocop 2' is a really underrated movie. I mean, it really is almost just as creative as the original in a lot of ways. During a huge citywide police strike, Robocop is the lone officer that patrols the crime-filled streets, now completely overrun with designer drugs and heartless thieves an' criminals. The OCP corporation that created Robocop (and runs the city's police force) is apparently oblivious to all. The chairman played again by Dan O'Heirley has gotten wildly out-of-control after his massive success with law enforcement, and decides to up the ante by creating a newer version of their original Robocop. I shouldn't give too much away, but there's quite a few cool touches to this one, although the film loses its bottom by the end and becomes almost a parody of itself. Overall an above average sequel that just barely falls short. Now...

ROBOCOP 3 - Ohhh, boy. Here's the Robocop movie that you can skip, and not miss a thing. I don't think there is one redeemable quality about this film. The plot is basically OCP running thousands of citizens out of their homes to make room for urbanization and high-rise office buildings. A small citizens' uprising begins underground, raging guerilla warfare against the capitalist army. Robocop, sensitive to the little people as he is, decides to join them and assist the rebel forces in their crusade. Even the appearance of veteran actors like Rip Torn and CCH Pounder can't save this awful mess. The story plays like an after-school special, with cheesy morals being plastered in your face, an' awful dialogue an' corny one-liners from every character that will make you wince with embarrassment. Peter Weller, who played Robocop excellently in the first two films, is replaced by Robert John Burke, and, although you wouldn't think it would be all that noticeable due to Robocop's limited dimensions, it's ANNOYINGLY noticeable.

Overall, the DVD set is nothing really amazing, with hardly any features on any one of the discs. But at least the films are shown in Widescreen format, the way the movies were presented in theaters, and the sound and picture quality is obviously sharper an' clearer than my beat-up, worn-out VHS copies. Any fan of this series should be happy purchasing this collection for the simple fact of having the complete trilogy. It's not likely that the Robocop series will ever be resurrected (especially not after the UNFORGIVEABLE third film), but I'll never get sick of watching and remembering how fresh, sardonically funny, and action-packed the first two were, and how I seemed to never get sick of the half-man/half-machine police officer who went out against all the odds, refused to let go of his humanity, and dished out some cold justice against the deplorable criminals who made him what he was.

3.0 out of 5 stars MGM doesn't apply much effort to improve on some of their Blu-Ray releases, do they?, October 24, 2010
Rykre "The Rogue Scholar" (of the vast Western Dystopian Wasteland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RoboCop Trilogy [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I already have the Robocop Trilogy on DVD. I bought this blu-ray version of the box set because I was expecting to see an improved High Definition re-master. And it's not. This transfer to Blu-Ray looks no better than the DVD's. So, it's a waste of money, isn't it?

So, I've done a little research of some of my other re-purchased films on to Blu-ray (from MGM) and I've noticed that they too, were disappointments to me as a blu-ray transfer. So, I know now: If it's released by MGM, it won't be any better than the DVD. MGM just doesn't seem to care WHY we would re-purchase our favorite movies on to Blu-ray.

The first Robocop in this box set is the same 2007 release. They didn't even bother to change the brownish artwork of the disc to match the other two movies bluer artwork. And of course, there are no extras on any of these discs.

With the HDMI cable I had with my older regular DVD player, many of my regular DVD's were greatly improved in picture quality. So, it's proving to be very few and far between that a Blu-ray reissue of a film is actually going to look any better. Some do. I have about 75 Blu-Ray discs now, and only about 45 of them look greatly improved. (When I buy the Blu-Ray, I compare them right away, side by side, Blu-Ray against the DVD, with my two TV's in my den) I guess some movies can't be helped, while some other movies were great masters from the start so no re-mastering effort would be required.

I outta just re-cellophane this Robocop Blu-Ray and give it to somebody for Christmas because my DVD's are just as good anyway. I hope they will apply somewhat of a better effort to improve all the James Bond films onto Blu-Ray.

UPDATE: I've just recently bought a new 47" LCD TV. Maybe this was a mistake because it is NOW that I see a great improvement of my Blu-Ray DVD's over my regular DVD's. So, I guess the only way that I can continue enjoying my regular DVD's is to keep watching my DVD's only on my 32" LCD TV with the HDMI hook-up because at 32 inches, DVD's look very much like High Definition. On the 47" TV, regular DVD's just don't look that good.

1.0 out of 5 stars The ROBOBOX version is LAME., June 15, 2006
This review is from: RoboBox (DVD)
Amazon is confusing, they put the SAME reviews for two DIFFERENT DVD Boxsets. Make sure you DO NOT get the ROBOBOX and are looking at the Robocop MGM Trilogy. The great version of the Robocop collection is the MGM version with Robocop 1 UNCUT. The Robocop 1 in the ROBOBOX collection is EDITED! I was mislead by all the positive reviews so I ended up getting the lame Robobox which simply just has the movies, no extras, and a butchered/edited masterpiece (yep, there are a couple minutes missing from Robocop). Avoid the blue Robobox, it's not the same DVD set everyone here is praising, it's DIFFERENT, not the definitive version of these classic movies. I wish somebody made that clear before I made a big mistake.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection on blu ray. There will be grain., October 8, 2010
This review is from: RoboCop Trilogy [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Just to let everyone know if they are wondering the quality of this release on Blu Ray. I could not find any reviews that could give a good review on this set online since this set just came out. I have the Standard dvd version of the trilogy and I just recently got the Blu Ray version and did a comperison of them both. Your not going to get a crystal clear picture with the age of these movies unless the studio decides to spend the time and money doing a big picture cleaning restore like George Lucas or James Cameron would do with with their movies in the studio. It does sound better and the colors on blu ray do look better compared to the standard dvd. I was amazed how when Ed-209 in the first robo-cop made my sub-woofer on my surround system thump loud and robo-cops foot slaming on the ground as he get out the police car to fight crime. This set does contain the unrated edition of the first Robo-Cop. If you are buying this for sharp picture quality you will be disapointed. All 3 films do contain certain amounts of grain in the picture. The picture will balance from looking good to high amounts of grain in the video. It seems what the studio did was just take the video from the standard dvd set and put the video and sound onto blu ray uncompressed. I like the first 2 movies the most the third one was ok. Maybe the 3rd one could have been better if Peter Weller was Robo-Cop instead of the other actor that replaced him. I have seen all 3 of these in the theaters back then when they were released. I just wish the studios would have done a better job at restoring these movies better on blu ray. There are fans out there that do like Robo-Cop and would love to see better restored versions of these films. I would rather watch the blu ray version of all 3 movies on a nice surround sound system than the standard dvd. The 4 stars are for having all 3 movies in one set and the upgraded sound on all 3 movies in the set compared to the standard dvd.If you dont have this set at all and a Robo-Cop fan pick this up on blu ray.

4.0 out of 5 stars Re-packaged Set, May 27, 2014
Basically, what you're getting here is the old box set, only repackaged with the 2014 release of the original Robocop for the first disc. Now, Robocop 2 and 3 may lack any special features, but I found the transfers for those films to be noticeably cleaner than the original's. Aside from getting zero special features on the sequels' discs, the set is worth it, if you don't already own the movies individually on Blu-ray.

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern classic, with a mixed bag of sequels..., December 16, 2005
ROBOCOP: Five stars

ROBOCOP is a modern science fiction masterpiece. The future is not black and white, as most sci-fi tales conform to. It is a utopia of white-teeth propaganda but its black tarred heart beats a dystopian horror. ROBOCOP has been misunderstood simply as an eighties violent action picture. It is a lot more than that.

Firstly, integral satire thumps hard at its core - big business is the new `democracy' (or lack of) and money is God. Falling human values and decency are humorously mocked (the family playing the `nuke' game) and the price of human life is devalued.

Robocop is a sort of iron messiah, almost Christ-like - for example, he is a morally strong man, gunned down doing something he believed in, was `resurrected' and eventually became an iconic figure for hope in a city falling into apathetic hell and crime.

The film is extremely violent, but it never seems gratuitously (there for the sake of it). The violence highlights the cold heartless vision of the future that our future relatives will inevitably inherit (are we not too far off now from that dystopia?) I saw this film on British television years ago, with censored `television-friendly' cuts. This made the film feel subdued in its message, and it lacked the brutal force of the uncut version (even the cutting of swear words gave the film a less realistic, less-grimmer feel).

Peter Weller is an inspired choice for the dual role of Officer Murphy (married family man, nice suburban home) and his resurrected entity - Robocop. The armour suit is brilliantly created, and seems well ahead of its time - example the gun holster in his leg (this is pre-CGI). Nancy Allen, plays his bolshy side-kick who also holds a high moral compass.

The stop-motion animation seems a tad dated (ED-209 falling down the stairs for example) even though it was made in 1987, but the sets are well-made and the difference between the urban decay below and the modern settings of the OCP buildings are well contrasted (the office buildings are grey and colourless, devoid of any human touches or character).

The intertwining news features, and faux advertisements, satirise a scrupulous modern media relationship with the `consumer'.

Apparently, Paul Verhoeven wanted a futuristic city created (see Starship Troopers) but budget restrictions forced him to settle for modern day looking Dallas. This works well in Verhoeven's favour, as the city feels deprived and the overall feeling is that this bleak future is not too far off.

The sequels and the TV spin-off (aimed at kids!), fortunately, does not devalue this movie, as this film stands alone. Some say it is the greatest sci-fi to come out of the eighties, I think it is the best to come out ever (alongside Metropolis, Terminator, Alien, 2001: A Space Odyssey), though people who think its gory violence is unnecessary, will disagree.

ROBOCOP 2: Three stars

The inevitable sequel is not as bad as some make out; though, compared with the original, it fails on all levels. Released with a surge of hype in 1989, this will fill only those who saw the first as a violent action picture, rather than the layered modern sci-fi it really is.

It's portrayal of a new drug culture offers nothing new, and seems pretty lazy and easy as a purpose to satirise. The villain, Cain, a sort of hippy throwback, seems a bit too much of a `superhero' villain (i.e. wacky, unconventional) to offer any gritty realism (unlike the first). Irvin Kershner, the director who gave us the most fulfilling Star Wars episode - The Empire Strikes Back, seems to lack the social and political bite that Verhoeven created with the first movie.

However, if you see the film in the right light - as a comic-book style movie, then ROBOCOP 2 is elevated somewhat. There are parts when satire does sparkle, for example, where Robocop/Murphy is `reprogrammed' and set back out onto the streets is a vicious swipe at OTT political correctness and liberalism (as the first movie took a swipe at conservatism and big business fascism).

The violence is not as brutal and realistic as the first one, but it is still far off the `children' friendly Robocop spin-offs that follow this movie.

News bulletins and faux advertisements return, but this time they feel too absurd, and instead of satirising modern western media, it simply parodies the first film.

I would rate this film three stars.

ROBOCOP 3: One star

If the second Robocop movie has some redeemable features, then the third instalment has hardly any. This film is the metamorphous of the Robocop franchise into a kid's marketed commodity. In this respect, this film seems to be a pilot for the children-friendly television series that soon followed (though this film is not be confused WITH the television show pilot).

The violence is low key and the inclusion of a child actor as one of the main central characters seems to confirm this. Maybe this was the inevitable conclusion - Robocop has all the hallmarks of a `superhero' and the commercialisation of this towards the children's toy market/comics may gather a new audience (young viewers) but will alienate an older audience at the same time. The superhero theme is cemented with Robocop's new jetpack and the `ninja' style villains (this movie was released when the ninja turtles franchise was in full swing).

It is ironic that this film should be included to make the series a `trilogy'. Parents who have seen this movie - and the television series - may find the first two films a total shock.

The film also lacks the budget of the first two movies, which was a surprise as Robocop 3 was very hyped up to its confusing release date (set back time after time with delays) and was released in Britain straight-to-video.

This film can be viewed as a pilot, of the pilot of the tv series. Parents who wish to buy this trilogy because of Robocop's `revamp' into a children's `action figure' toy may have an unpleasant surprise with the first two movies, so I suggest buying Robocop 3 on its own.

RoboCop Trilogy [Blu-ray]
RoboCop Trilogy [Blu-ray] by Robocop Trilogy (Blu-ray - 2010)
$59.99 $39.96