5.0 out of 5 stars Rock of Ages... ROCKS!
Published on June 5, 2012 by T. J. Burzynski II

3.0 out of 5 stars Rock of Ages
Well, first off, as far as I'm concerned, the motion picture was better, because then, you're distracted from the varying degrees of the artist's vocal talent, or lack thereof. That said, the album is fair.
Published 8 months ago by Priscilla Verdia

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock of Ages... ROCKS!, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Rock of Ages: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Okay, so I had some reservations about this CD. They made some story changes from the Broadway Musical (which I LOVED!) and I was wary about hearing some of the cast members sing. Well, I cannot say anything about the story changes since I have not seen the movie yet, but this Soundtrack as its own separate entity ROCKS! The cast sings wonderfully... even Tom Cruise. His rendition of "Pour Some Sugar On Me" (a song not in the original show... for some reason the authors of the play were not able to get the rights to any of Def Leopard's songs, but they were able to get them for the movie) blew me away. His vocals are pretty damn good. The arrangements of the songs are kind of a mix up of the original and the musical versions. There is really no vocal misstep on this soundtrack. Even Russell Brand (whom I cannot stand) holds his own. This is one of those rare instances where I really don't have any complaints about a CD. It is of course not 100% flawless, but any gripes are so minor they don't have any bearing really on the CD as a whole. (Main gripe is the song Paradise City, but only because I cannot stand that song). For anyone who loved the show or even loves the Hair Metal of the 80's, this CD is a perfect addition to your music collection. And of course, GO SEE THE MOVIE when it comes out June 15!
Best Tracks:
Hit Me With Your Best Shot- Catherine Zeta-Jones gives Pat Benatar a run for her money as a rocker chick.
Here I Go Again- This song was a great choice as the Act One Finale of the musical. This version is so great.
Any Way You Want It- Ms. Blige is awesome as Justice.
Don't Stop Believin'- This is NOT the Glee arrangement, it is the musical arrangement which came out before the Glee version. Great Finale to the show. Can't wait to see how it is staged in the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock of Ages! Yeah!, June 15, 2012
I just saw the movie...and I loved it loved it loved it! I bought the album in mp3 since that's where all my music is. What a sexy beast Tom Cruise is! And wow! He can sing! He didn't know he could sing! I agree that Julianne Hough is cute, but weak in a starring role. The other revelation is Diego Boneta! Where'd he come from? Cute and can sing!! Buy the CD or mp3, and go see the movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, June 17, 2012
if you love rock and roll this movie is for you. the music is so much fun I came straight to buy the soundtrack after seeing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for all you were high school / college in the '80's, June 17, 2012
If you were in high school / college during the '80's, you must see this movie and buy the soundtrack. Top notch entertainment. And all of the songs (except for Undercover Love) are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THE 80's, June 16, 2012
Buffee (california) - See all my reviews
Just saw the film. I already own the Broadway soundtrack but I have to buy the movie one too. The 80's was the BEST TIME OF MY LIFE. This movie is hilarious~very "over the top" as the 80's were. I mean we did everything extreme BIG HAIR, Lots of makeup/glitter, Big shoes and the best clothes ever! But the music era was at it's best, nothing rocks as good as 80's music. I almost wanted to get up and dance...the music was so great. I will have to ignore HUFF's voice..very annoying(sings through her nose) but I was truly amazed how well others did. TOM CRUISE blew me away! I mean now we can say he is a TRIPLE THREAT..actor, dancer(Tropic Thunder) and a pretty good voice. He stole the show. Even though I own tons of 80's music..I enjoyed the "mash up's" of quite a few of my fav's...

4.0 out of 5 stars HOUGH IS NO EMILY PADGETT BUT TOM CAN SING!!, June 5, 2012
Intro Spective (new york, ny United States) - See all my reviews
General impressions, not a track-specific review; too new. Will add track review later:

So: I'm spoiled. Having just seen the Broadway show this past Sunday night 6/3/2012, with the sublime duo of Emily Padgett & Justin Matthew Sargent in the leads with a stellar supporting cast, I just bought this to compare the 2. Nothing, including this, beats the stage version, but while I await my Amazon delivery of that recording (which does not have my Sunday people anyway), this movie version, which was released this morning, is still awesome as its own animal. I'll talk about that:

TOM CRUISE can sing! That is, if you consider Axl Roses' chill-worthy wail singing (I do). Because Tom channels Axl quite eerily, and IMHO, pulls it off. Very well. His voice reaches crazy range. Pretty shocking. He supposedly got to 5 octaves; I believe it after listening all day.

Julianne, sorry to say, does not fare as well. She is an adorable performer, dancer, etc.. but this role calls for a real (powerful) Broadway style voice, and she is very weak vocally, although the EXCELLENT production/studio tricks prop her up very well, so she gets by overall, but with the wonderful Emily Padgett vocals still fresh in my head from the Broadway show, all I can say to Julianne's vocals is, meh.

The young Diego Boneta in Justins role is great from what I am hearing. VERY strong vocals, especially in the Foreigner ballads which really call for a clarity and strength so as to hit it out of the park, which he does, (although still not as magnetic to the ear as Justin Sargent. Sorry!) Still great. But that killer Broadway cast spoiled it for me I fear!

Catherine Zeta-Jones gives a faithful, but Catherine-sounding rendition of Pat Benatar's HMWYBS. Nice. You can hear CZ-J's distinctive speaking voice in there.

All in all, all our favorite rock-out tunes from the early 80s are here, with a fresh spin for thats what classic music is, here for the ages for new generations and new iterations. I think that if you love this music, and loved the show, and excitedly anticipate the movie, as I do, you will love it!

For all you purists who can't stand to see your favorites duplicated/transformed/reinterpreted, you are all sadly missing the point! Is there only one version/interpretation of Beetoven's 7th? How many wonderful Beatles covers are there? The fact that early 80's rock is being celebrated this way just means it's achieved classic status! CELEBRATE & ROCK ON!!

Bottom line: Tom Cruise is a revelation, Diego too, great production, great recording, NOTHING though, tops the current Summer 2012 Broadway cast, but this movie recording IS AWESOME, SOUNDS GREAT, the lush sound engineering/production/arrangements are stellar & Grammy caliber, so kudos to the producers. Comparisons aside, I LOVE this CD & it will be played by me non-stop for ages to come.

Will update as I become more familiar with the individual tracks.

Nicole S, New York, NY, 6/5/12

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant stop listening, June 16, 2012
I bought the movie soundtrack just to see how Tom Cruise sounded. I am very impressed that the world famous actor has a great sound and vocal range.I have been listening to the CD for 3 days straight and singing along in the car. I grew up in this era and it brings me back to my teenage years.I can't wait to go see the movie. Overall, its a great CD and it was well worth buyiing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only 1 song for Malin Akerman?!!, June 14, 2012
She sounded great in "I want to know what love is". She should consider a vocal career. Very good CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!!, June 17, 2012
Movie was a blast - soundtrack is a complete blast. Just go and have fun. You won't regret it. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a terrific musical, June 17, 2012
My husband and I went to see the movie last night and we were both blown away by it! Tom first of all was fabulous in this role. I wondered how he was going to pull this off but my goodness he did! Loved the way the songs blended in the story line. If you are unsure about viewing don't be! You WILL LOVE IT!!

Just purchased this soundtrack..loved it all..

Rock of Ages:  Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Rock of Ages: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies