Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rock Band 3 Wireless Keyboard for Wii and WiiU
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Platform: Nintendo Wii U|Change

on January 25, 2011
I've had the RB3 keyboard for almost a week now and my experiences are quite good. I have prior music experience with guitar and similar instruments, and some basic theory/vocal/keyboard training from when I was in college (much of which I've forgotten). Because of past music experience I probably start with a slight advantage over your average person. I've wanted to learn keyboard for a while, and RB3 moving into the realm of more realistic instrument play is a welcome change for me.

Construction:
The keyboard is built quite well. It looks and feels like a real two octave keyboard should. The keys have just the right amount of spring and resistance. The touch sensitive whammy effect also works well in game. I don't have a midi sequencing device so I can only assume that it works as expected.

Game-play:
If you are interested in getting this device, know that going into it with the correct mindset is key. Unless you have keyboard experience, don't expect to become a virtuoso the first time you pick it up. If you are interested in pro mode you will most likely need to put in a lot of time practicing alone (at the moment I find playing with others while in pro mode a bit distracting). If you lack patience the keyboard may not be for you.

The game allows you to select between standard mode (only 5 white keys are activated like the standard RB/GH guitars) and pro (the entire keyboard). Both modes allow you to select a difficulty, so pro mode is not necessarily prohibited from the start. I found that I was able to jump right into career/quickplay at a medium pro level (mostly single notes with some 2-note intervals on more advanced songs). Not everyone will be able to do the same. I've had several friends that wanted to try at a party, and all of them started off in 5-note (non-pro) mode.

The built-in lessons are handy. I went through several of them to get comfortable with the keyboard (simple scales, intervals) before moving into career mode. I'll probably go back and finish them someday, but I found myself wanting to just play some music.

Watching the partial keyboard on screen takes some getting used to. Rather than using the strap I've been placing the keyboard on my lap, which allows me to glance down occasionally. Other than that I am finding where notes are primarily by feeling around (locations of black keys give you some guidance). I'll admit that this is occasionally frustrating, particularly when intervals and solos are moving faster than I can keep up. Again, patience seems to have a key role in game-play.

Conclusion:
The device itself is great. Game-play is a lot of fun if you are willing to take the time and energy to learn, or you must be satisfied with easy or non-pro mode. While this device may not be for everyone, it adds a ton for those of us who desire more realistic game-play (and the potential to pick up a new instrument).
on March 13, 2015
Awesome deal. I don't play the game but I am a musician. This is cheapest, velocity sensitive, midi keyboard you will ever find. On top of that it runs on batteries. I do electronic music and I needed a small, simple, battery powered midi controller to play one of my synths with. This works perfectly. $20 bucks and free shipping, it's a no brainer.
on December 9, 2011
This makes a great midi controller for a home studio. Just the right size to fit between the computer and its keyboard, it does all the midi functions I need. Sometimes 25 keys right in front of me beats 61 or 88 across the room.
on January 31, 2011
The Wii Rock Band 3 wireless keyboard functions wonderfully, with great feel and easy connectivity. The range of skill requirements range from easy to pro (with chording and bona fide keyboard skills required at the expert and pro levels), so it is extremely versatile for all skill levels. Be aware, however, that most of the older downloadable song content (especially for Rock Band 1 or 2) lack keyboard options in scoring/software development, so the system automatically blocks keyboard access by showing "No Keyboard" available for those songs. Hopefully there will be backward development to release Rock Band 3 compatible versions to allow keyboards for those songs, to add to the content that is available for keyboards now.
on February 12, 2016
This little keyboard is an amazing value. I was quite surprised when i opened this package. First of all, it does not feel like a toy at all. It feels like a small but hefty weighty little keyboard. The keys are a bit springy but they are full-sized and Velocity Sensitive. So, for less than $30 shipped you get a nice compact beefy little MIDI controller keyboard that runs on 3 AA batteries. Oh man, this is exactly what i was needing in my studio. Within less than a minute, i was already hooked up to my MIDI Synthesizer and playing away on these Velocity Sensitive keys..... WOW!!! it works perfectly. For the money, you can't beat this. If you are looking for a small but capable batter powered MIDI controller with limited features, this is it.
Im thrilled with this purchase and i was skeptical. I don't know about using it with Rock Band 3 or Wireless since i don't have Rock Band 3 but it works GREAT for what i bought it for. Thanks to some of the other cool reviews here from musicians who were very pleased with this little MIDI controller. You guys helped me make my decision, and evens tho i could not imagine such value for the money, here it IS. wow! buy it!!!
on February 20, 2016
A Proud owner of a couple of those Keytars or Keyboards, they are lovely. First, Keys Size and Feel are perfect, performance and response in co-ordination with the Wii or Wii U console is flawless. Weight and handling is easy and simple. Price wise, you can’t beat that, a normal hand held Keytar will cost at least a couple of hundred dollars and more for the ones that actually play music rather than being just a Midi Interface. You can’t go wrong with the Wireless Keyboard and Rock Band3 to play real music and enjoy it. You do need to build your skills from Easy Difficulty to harder levels. Enjoy !
on May 29, 2015
I don't use this for Rock Band but rather use it as a very inexpensive MIDI controller for my portable MIDI-enabled equipment. I've been moving away from computers lately and back to hardware instruments. I recently purchased a Korg Volca Keys and while playing it with the ribbon keyboard is fun, I'm much more dextrous on a keyboard. I wanted something that was battery powered and had the standard 5 pin DIN MIDI port as well. Having seen reviews for this controller on various synth forums I purchased this and it works great. The keys play well though the layout of some of the controls aren't always easy to get to. You can use the ribbon controller for pitch bend but you have to hold down a button on the side of the ribbon to activate it, which seems counter-intuitive. Perhaps the button helps to extend battery life but I find it awkward to use. Given the price, it's still a phenomenal bargain.
on December 8, 2012
My daughters and I got this because we love Rock Band and wanted something different. If you play it like the guitars it isn't that hard because you only have the samr colored keys. But, if you want to master this thing it will be a real challenge.

Only downside is you can't have a bass guitar and lead guitar together with this. The Wii only allows a total of 4 peripherals at any one time. Overall it is fun to have in your band.
on June 6, 2014
Got this for my musically inclined friend who could not really get into the other Rock-band instruments. He loves it. A little too much, truth be told. Bit of a hog actually. I mean, if you get somebody something like this you sort of expect them to let you have a turn eventually. But nooo! Can't be bothered to take a turn on the microphone so that you can play fake piano for 5 minutes. See if I get you anything for your next birthday.
on July 12, 2013
Not enough of the song support the keyboard to make it worth it in my opinion. We have 3 guitars, the keyboard, and 3 mics. Switching this in and out for songs that actually support keyboard got to be too much. It doesn't see the light of day, even when the game still does now and then.