Most helpful critical review
6 of 7 people found the following review helpful
OK alternative to the official sixaxis, but signs of wear after 1 month of use.
on April 15, 2014
- Light indicators on the top of the controller (the "1, 2, 3, 4" lights) DO work, unlike some other 3rd party controllers like the TTX Tech Universal Controller.
- L2 and R2 buttons have a little hook at the bottom that contour to your fingers to keep them from slipping of while pressing or holding them down. While I might like it, it may come across as a con to those who dislike the deviation from the official sixaxis design.
- Buttons have good feedback.
- After only about 1 month of using it, I think the X button is sticking a little--while watching Netflix, it occasionally pauses playback on its own even when I am not touching it.
- The left analog stick is in a different location than official sixaxis controllers. It and the d-pad have switched places, which makes initial handling a little awkward (at least in my own experience).
- It looks and feels kind of cheap. If I grip it tightly I can feel the plastic creak under my hands.
- Buttons click more loudly than other controllers, which is problematic if you want to game quietly (e.g. playing when your roommates are asleep). It may also be annoying for some people.
- Middle section is a little shorter compared to the sixaxis controller, which may make it seem small. I didn't really find an issue with it, but for people with larger hands this may be a problem.
- Analog sticks are concave (curved in) rather than convex, accommodating the curve of your thumb to keep it from sliding around during use. This is in contrast to other controllers that are usually rounded at the top and textured with a rubbery material to keep your thumbs from slipping off.
- Analog sticks are also slightly shorter than the ones on the sixaxis.
It's an OK alternative to official sixaxis controllers (I got my Rock Candy controller for about $10). It gets the job done and will do for a backup, especially if you don't want to put down too much money for one. However, I have some concerns about durability since I've had a bit of an issue with the X button sticking, especially when I'm watching Netflix--it pauses playback at least a few times within a half hour period.