4.0 out of 5 stars Not all bad
Published on March 10, 2004 by Kenneth G. Netzel

2.0 out of 5 stars HUGELY DISAPPOINTING!
Published on March 8, 2005 by Tim Janson

2.0 out of 5 stars HUGELY DISAPPOINTING!, March 8, 2005
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game (Toy)
Like many baby boomers, I had the original toy myself as a kid. As much as we may like to believe it, the old classic one was not perfect either. It always seemed like one robots head popped off much easier than the other, or the rubberbands came off underneath. Time has tended to make us look back on these toys much more fondly than we did when we actually owned them.

That said, these "new-fangled" versions are extremely poor quality. First of all it just feels flimsy. It certainly is not as durable and heavy as it used to be. Second it seems that one robot is always overly sensitive while the other needs to be hit with a sledgehammer to get the head to pop up. And of course you don't have the trademark, "ZZZZZZZZZZ" sound that the old metal teeth used to make when the head popped up. Our kids must have thought we were nuts to have enjoyed this so much and we have to try and explain how it "used to be better!" The designers who made this should be forced to play it non-stop for 8 hours a day. Shame on Mattel for ruining a classic toy.

3.0 out of 5 stars The new Rockem Sockem robots..., November 2, 2001
Thomas A. Mulichak (Huntington Beach, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game (Toy)
I was disappointed to find that the Rockem Sockem robots I remember so well as a kid had magically shrunk down to pint-sized replacements. I would have been completely satisfied if they had retained thier size, which in turn would have made them retain their original greatness. The lesson here boys...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not like we remembered, February 14, 2002
Laura M. Griffin (Peachtree City, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game (Toy)
My husband and I were delighted when we saw one this favorite childhood toy back in circulation.We got it for our two sons for Christmas. It took forever to assemble. The Blue guy's head is so sensitive that it pops up when you are only making him punch. So no one wants to be blue. What's the point? And what happened to the signature "scream" when the head pops up? Just a shame that the quality isn't the same.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth The Money!!!!, November 21, 2005
This review is from: Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game (Toy)
Do not waste your money on this toy at all!! The robots heads pop-up without even being hit. The robots are always falling off the ring and they aren't that easy to snap back on. It was disappointing to play this game. My kids have given up ont his game and it just sits on the shelf.

1.0 out of 5 stars READ THESE REVIEWS BEFORE BUYING - PLEASE!!!, February 14, 2005
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game (Toy)
I bought this for my kids and can second all of the reviews I read that are disappointed with the game. The blue guy's head NEVER goes up. The robots are always and easily popping off. And yesterday, one of the yellow posts that holds up the white "rope" around the boxing ring snapped off and is impossible to fix. It's virtually ruined as no replacements parts are available. GOOD LUCK trying to get any help at the MAttel Website or 1-800 number. I am very disappointed in this product and highly recommend you consider something else. It's a shame because I could see where our whole family would have lots of fun if it worked and was sturdier.

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISSAPOINTED, December 11, 2001
Michael T. Masciale "mmasciale" (bay shore, ny United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game (Toy)
I loved this as a kid but for some reason Mattel shrunk the size to a ridiculous small size. The robots fall off platform a lot and the heads pop up if you press buttons to hard, it was a good try but fell way short of what it should have been.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not at all like the original..., November 8, 2005
This review is from: Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game (Toy)
My husband and I purchased this toy for our daughters birthday. Yes, a girl ! Anyhow, we found this very hard to put together, not too mention frustrating. The quality of the cheap plastic that it is assembled with is not durable. Forget about trying to stretch the rope ring around the edge of the platform, it took us over 20 minutes. The rope was not very generous in size and everytime you would push in one end the others would pop out. After a while we decided to give the rope a little stretch as it needed some play, but the rope was already fraying and after a try the rope snapped. We still have one rope around the ring, but its not the same. So now it's time to play the game. My husband was excited to play this with his daughter because he remembers when "Santa" brought him one (the original) when he was a little boy. He found that the punches were weak between the robots and it was almost impossible to punch hard enough to pop the opponents head up. My daughter left the game crying and frustrated and said it was "stupid". Sad to see a parent spend money on a toy that is such a disappointments. Guess we need to read these reviews and hope they are accurate before we purchase something :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all bad, March 10, 2004
Kenneth G. Netzel "RobotLover" (Cheektowaga, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game (Toy)
I recently ordered this toy for myself actually. I'm a 45 year old robot collector who never had this as a kid, but I do have a 14 year old daughter. I didn't notice the bad reviews until I already ordered it, and was worried, but when it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it's smaller than the original. But as I said, I bought it because I am a robot collector, and they look as they did when they first came out. It wasn't that difficult to assemble, it went together quickly. When my daughter came home from school, we gave it a go, or two, or at least twenty. I am a big guy, and I put it through it's paces, and it held up with no parts coming off. And we both won, so both figures worked equally. So to conclude...yes, it's not your father's Rockem Sockem Robots, but fun can be had with this reasonably durable little toy...even for a 45 year old kid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the old days, January 27, 2010
Wayne (Silicon Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game (Toy)
Before I bought this, I was hesitant because of the mixed reviews. There were complaints that the product was not well made and was much smaller than the original. However, many of the "most helpful" reviews were from as far back as 2001. It made me wonder how well they reflected the current product.

The box shown for this item says "The original fighting robots" and also says that this is the "classic" game. That certainly implies that it's not a scaled down model, and to my relief it's full sized and very close to the original.

The robots themselves look very much like the originals, except for the stickers. The arena looks pretty much the same too, except the "ropes" are threaded through the posts, while the original game required putting the ropes over the hooks on each post. There are other differences that I'd consider subtle for a game player, though probably not for a collector.

Back in the 1960s, I never owned this. I played it at other people's homes. I was surprised at how smoothly everything moved on the new one compared to the ones I remembered. Some people have commented that one robot or another had a more sensitive head than the other. That was a complaint back when the originals were made too. I didn't find that to be a problem with the one I just got, but if it's a problem, just make sure that the players switch colors every few rounds.

The robots are right handed. Of course you can punch with either hand, but you can throw right hooks and left jabs if you know how. You can't do the reverse. You can retreat, work on proper position, and deliver a punch with the motion and timing you would use in real boxing. Obviously this is true to a much more limited extent than in real life, but the point is that you can use strategy and learn to improve style and technique rather than just banging away at something.I didn't remember it being educational to any extent when I was growing up, and it was probably just a matter of swinging wildly until a punch got through or we got tired of it. As an adult, I can now see how it's not devoid of educational value to somebody studying pugilism or martial arts. But calling it an educational game is at least as much of a stretch as it is with many video games.

Assembly was relatively easy. Snapping the base and controllers together was an easy task for a child. Getting the robots on the platform was slightly more tricky and required an adult, at least in my case. But that's a one time thing.

How much fun a child will have with this depends on the child. If he/she takes the time to learn and improve, then it becomes a competition. It might be the type of thing that a child plays with for a few hours and gives up on, until a friend comes over and wants to play with it. It's no good without friends. It's probably not the type of thing that will become a daily extended activity. If you want something that captivates for hours, get a video game. If you want something that a child will like, but not spend lots of time with on any given sitting, then buy this for a child who is asking for it. My rating is based on the assumption that it was wanted, and I hope to give one perspective of what you might expect. I can't say how well this would work as a general unsolicited gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS GOOD AS THEY USED TO BE, October 26, 2002
By A Customer
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game (Toy)
I WAS VERY DISSIPOINTED IN THE NEW VERSION OF ROCKEN SOCKEM ROBOTS, THE HEAD COMES UP WHEN YOU ARE JUST PUNCHING AND THERE IS NO SCREAM LIKE THERE USED TO BE WHEN THE HEAD COMES UP. IT`S A SHAME THAT THEY WENT TO ALL THE TROUBLE OR BRINGING BACK A CLASSIC WITHOUT PUTTING SOME OF THE ORIGINAL QUALITY IN. I STILL HAVE AN ORIGINAL VERSION AND IT WORKS MUCH BETTER AFTER ALL THESE YEARS THAN THE BRAND NEW ONE. ...

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em ROBOTS Game