4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE Aerosmith LIVE
As a veteran of the music business and a professional concert goer' for decades, I appreciate the classics coming to life on stage. I was thoroughly impressed with the sound quality of the performances in this movie. I have been hitting "rewind" on this DVD during favorite songs throughout.
Published 3 months ago by Steve Uzanas

2.0 out of 5 stars More Half Songs and Interuptions
Published 13 months ago by Duane

2.0 out of 5 stars More Half Songs and Interuptions, July 29, 2013
Duane (Oshawa Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock For The Rising Sun [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I am very surprised after the criticism of the last release, that the same formula was used again. The quality of sound, picture and performance are certainly 5 star. The set-list for me is fantastic. I can even deal with the interviews between songs although it is completely annoying. What is unforgivable is NOT PLAYING THE SONGS IN FULL! This artsy amateur hour of presenting this concert/documentary is a tried and true recipe for failure. Some songs are presented as snippets. Beginning chopped on Toys in the Attic, Hangman Jury gets the half treatment, and the ultimate kick in the groin...Train kept a Rollin partly played over the credits. It's 2013! Please, knock it off with this crap! The Blu-ray disc holds 50 Gig of info. Certainly more than enough to play full songs, considering how short the set-list is. Mccartney has done this with several releases and finally wised up with his latest. Producers need to take note that fans hate this nonsense. Give us all the music, uninterrupted, please!

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb performances... but why mix the interviews in-between songs???, July 2, 2013
This review is from: Rock For The Rising Sun [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Although not yet released in the US, this title has been on sale in Japan since mid-June (and I managed to purchase a Blu-ray copy there during my recent trip). Filmed in Japan back in 2011 (while the country was still recovering from its earthquake/tsunami tragedy), this concert film is pretty much the band's tribute to their legion of Japanese fans.

On the positive side, the performances are awesome and very nicely filmed (as one would expect from seeing Aerosmith performing live). And the focus here is more on the 'hard rock' songs from the band's catalogue (none of those cheesy ballads that they have become so famous for since the 1990s... don't worry, that irritating song from "Armageddon" is not here). So, if you prefer the harder and 'bluesier' side of the band, this one is for you. It is possible though that some fans may be unhappy about the omission of some of the band's better-known songs from this collection (eg. "Janie's Got A Gun", "Dream On", etc). The Japanese edition contains 4 bonus tracks ("Train Kept a Rollin" - full version, "Lord of the Thighs", "Lick and a Promise" and "One Way Street") but I am not sure whether these are included in the US release.

Now, to the negatives. Although I love the performances here, I really hate how this Blu-ray is organized. First of all, this is a 'collection of performances' from various shows rather than a single complete show. Ok, there's nothing wrong with this from my perspective... however, why on earth do they have to mix short interviews/comments/tour footage in-between almost every song??? WHY, WHY, WHY??? Most of us buy a live DVD/Blu-ray because we want to watch the band perform... we want a continuous, non-stop 2-hour live show. Instead, there is disruption after every song with all those interviews, comments, etc. This has been promoted as a concert film and so it should have been released as such. At least, the disc menu should include an option that allows the viewer to decide whether to play only the live performances or to play everything. Or, why not put together those interviews and commentaries as a separate 'Japanese tour' documentary? Why mix everything together? After all the complaints received for their previous concert release ("You Gotta Move" DVD), this latest release has not only repeated the same mistake but has multiplied it by ten times (now we get an interruption after every song, and this means that most of us are unlikely to leave this in our Blu-ray or DVD player for repeated viewing, simply because it is so damn irritating!).

'5 stars' for the songs and performances. BUT... '0 star' for the Blu-ray!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Aerosmith Rocks!, July 26, 2013
This review is from: Rock For The Rising Sun [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I agree with the previous reviewers in that this is an awesome concert by the group. They are absolutely on fire and the video and sound is excellent. The reason I'm giving it only 3 stars is that the interruptions with the interviews between songs. Were it not for that, I would have given 5 stars. I wish they would release a "deluxe" version where the entire show is not interrupted and the interviews are in bonus material. It would be nice to put this DVD on at a party and not worry about having to pick up the remote to skip the interviews.

2.0 out of 5 stars Band "Interrupted", October 29, 2013
Tekrad (Ft.Lauderdale,Fl) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock For The Rising Sun [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
C'mon guys, who thinks that a half-assed documentary style is what the public wants?
I call it "Annoy Us Interruptus!"

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay, January 14, 2014
This review is from: Rock For The Rising Sun [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have seen Aerosmith 3 times live and this rendition does the band little justice...Yea it's okay for a music vid, but not as good as some!

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE Aerosmith LIVE, May 28, 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I would've read these reviews before I picked it up..., August 5, 2013
Jimmy Sanchez (Los Angeles, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock For The Rising Sun [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
...yesterday. Very disappointed by this release. One of the main reasons I picked it up was because I was impressed by the fact that the band went to Japan after the events the country went through. This doesn't mean I want to see it during the concert at the expense of a few songs. Worst of all, they cut off "Train Kept A Rollin'"!!! This will probably end up being sold back to a store for a few bucks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for casual fans, July 25, 2013
Erin Pez (Rhode Island) - See all my reviews
The other reviewers were accurate. This DVD/blu ray is great for the casual fans who enjoy Aerosmith's deeper tracks. It has great visuals and great sound and Aerosmith's performance is great.

As a huge fan I was completely disappointed that they showed only the last section of Hangman Jury. It was one of the reasons I was looking forward to this video. I love the song and was looking forward to seeing it and was extremely unhappy that they cut the first 3/4's of the song! Why did they even include it in the movie at all?

I was also annoyed by the fact that this has the same snippy style as the You Gotta Move DVD: Every 2-3 seconds the camera angle changes and it's hard for me to pay attention to what's going on. I can't stand these concert videos that change to different cameras with every blink of the eye. I kept wanting to see more of Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Tom Hamilton, Brad Whitford and Joey Kramer. Every time it focused on one of them, it would cut to another so fast that I couldn't focus on the cool moments these guys were giving.

As a fan of the band members as well as their music, I enjoyed the interview parts. But the interviews were so short. I don't really understand why some people are complaining, saying that this isn't a concert DVD because of the interview segments. A large majority of Rock For The Rising Sun is the concert part. I actually would have liked more interviews. I did enjoy the behind-the-scenes segments.

I think the song selection is great (I wish they would play some of those deeper cuts live in the US - not only Japan!). They played extremely well and I was happy with their performance. The sound quality is awesome. I would have rated this 5 stars if only the cameras didn't switch so often, and if only they included all of Hangman Jury! The hardcore fans will be happy to see these "more rare" songs but there's nothing really exciting to see that we haven't seen before. It's Aerosmith, who is awesome, but I just wasn't blown away.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate the interviews between songs., August 26, 2014
rem (PLANO, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Thank you everyone for the heads up. That really sucked on the "You Gotta Move" DVD when they jammed interviews between each song and TALKED OVER THE SONG INTROs. I swore I would never buy another DVD like that one (this sounds like they did the same thing). When will they realize that we buy and watch these DVDs to watch the pure live performance. We don't want to hear the band member's philosophical point of view or politics. Put all of that crap in its own chapter without ruining the performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aerosmith - 'Rock For The Rising Sun' (Eagle Rock) DVD, December 10, 2013
Review no. 43. Seventeen song live Aerosmith performance that took place (about a year) prior to when I was fortunate to catch Steven Tyler and crew from the front row - dead center. 'Rock For The Rising Sun' most certainly brings back some priceless memories for me. Loved hearing / experiencing those Aerosmith gems like the opener "Draw The Line", "Love In An Elevator" (this track - especially holds a few good times for me of many days past), their early rocker "Mama Kin", the awesome "Monkey On My Back", "Toys In The Attic", "Last Child" and the rest. One unfamiliar song here "Boogie Man" is notably a tune that the band had penned out while rehearsing in the studio. One reason that I gave this must-own DVD a five-star rating is because the interviews and inter-action snippets of the band members are (not only) well-timed but kept at the perfect length as well. Plus, I liked the inspiring clip where Tyler pays a visit to the Japan - Disneyland. Highly recommended.

Rock For The Rising Sun [Blu-ray]
Rock For The Rising Sun [Blu-ray] by Aerosmith (Blu-ray - 2013)
$19.98 $13.88