5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!
Published on April 17, 2009 by cola6860

1.0 out of 5 stars Television show on DVD Don't Bother
This DVD is touted as unrated but is just a rehash of the on air presentation. Curses are bleeped and naughty bits are pixelated. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS.
Published on April 9, 2008 by Kevin L. Muise

1.0 out of 5 stars Television show on DVD Don't Bother, April 9, 2008

1.0 out of 5 stars If you saw it on tv don't bother, April 9, 2008
Josh Reinholds "Uber Geek" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock of Love: Season 1 (DVD)
It is not unrated. Everything is still bleeped and fuzzed out. Bait and switch bull$#!t.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, April 17, 2009
This review is from: Rock of Love: Season 1 (DVD)
Wow...For someone who had never seen Season 1 when it originally aired, this DVD was all I could ask for and more! Although I read some complaints about the censoring on the nudity and profanity, I personally felt that it didn't detract from the experience. It's VH1, people, not HBO! The extras were fun too, especially the dirty phone calls (which were NOT censored) and the ridiculous food-fight. Maybe I have such a positive viewpoint because this was my first time watching the season, but I really couldn't find anything negative to say. From the very first episode which coined the infamous phrase "Don't threaten me with a good time" to the shocking reunion, I was completely entertained. I finished this DVD within 3 days, and have since lent it to my sisters to enjoy. This is coming from someone who had NO interest in seeing this show when it originally aired; watching the season from start to finish convinced me otherwise! Now I can't wait for the release of Season 2!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ashamed, So Ashamed... And Yet,Fascinated, March 25, 2008
This review is from: Rock of Love: Season 1 (DVD)
So, I'm one of those people who bemoans the decline of popular entertainment, and gets all shirty about the state of Hollywood today.

That said? The first season of Rock of Love is all sorts of awesome.

All the Lacey-gates, Jes being totally cool, and Heather. Oh, Heather. We loved ye, we lost ye.

I'll admit it now: I am buyin' this sucker, and I'm gonna marathon it, perhaps while wearing my finest in trashy outfits.

Well played, VH1. You win this round.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 of my favorite Vh-1 shows, July 29, 2008
This review is from: Rock of Love: Season 1 (DVD)
So far there have been 2 seasons of Rock of Love with Bret Michaels.
As we get ready for January 2009 when season 3 will air we can right now enjoy season 1 on DVD.

One of my favorite, if not my favorite, VH-1 shows.

Good to have all the episodes plus the reunion show.
I liked several of the women: Cindy (Rodeo), Jess, Heather & Magnalena.

FLAW IN DVD PACKAGE-IT IS 1 OF THE PACKAGES WHERE YOU CAN NOT SIMPLY PULL THE DVD CASES OUT, YOU HAVE TO UNNECESSARILY OPEN THE OTHER SIDE. HATE THESE, WHOEVER DESIGNED THEM.... WHY DID YOU DO THIS?

Course, you would expect NOTHING would be cut out, get an uncut version, but IT IS A SHAME THIS DID NOT HAPPEN.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rock of Love season 1, May 5, 2008
Red Shoes Erotic Book Reviews (New Iberia, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock of Love: Season 1 (DVD)
I love this show. I was upset that they still bleep the bad language. The show is great and Bret Michaels is always hot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this show!, August 30, 2013
This review is from: Rock of Love: Season 1 (DVD)
I'm a huge fan of Bret Michaels and Poison, so when this show first aired, I was glued to every crazy episode. Can't get enough Bret! lol

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Threaten Me With A Good Time!, April 14, 2010
Tommy Skylar (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock of Love: Season 1 (DVD)
First of all I'd like to say that Bret Michaels was the right rockstar to make this show, he's perhaps a little too focused on sex but in the end he comes out as a nice down to earth guy who likes to have a good time, rock'n'roll and his daughters. Rock of Love is a show in the vein of Flavor of Love, it was clearly inspired by it. Bret Michaels the lead singer of Poison is trying to find the love of his life...on a reality television show! Michaels is looking for a girl who can love him and handle his lifestyle, now this is promising indeed! The first season aired in 2007 to a certain success and two seasons followed; Rock of Love 2 and Rock of Love Tour Bus in 2008 and 2009 respectively. One thing is sure the show elevated Michaels' status as a star and he is now more famous and wealthy than he was.

Truth is season 1 had the most interesting cast of the series in my opinion; Lacey and Heather are some of the most memorable contestants of this first season and of the entire three seasons, others like the Barbie Twins Brandi C. And Kristia were entertaining to say the least. The cast was varied and some of them will leave a lasting impression on you just by watching the set's 13 episodes (the season consists of 12 episodes but they added the reunion show which I'm glad they did). There many hilarious situations and some bitter ones, I guess that's what you get when 25 women are trying to get the same man while living under the same roof in one mansion. It's funny to see Bret trying to deal with everything that happens in the mansion and keeping things under control while at the same time trying to find his true love. I know this is a *reality* show but it's really fun to watch and doesn't do any harm!

No other season of Rock of Love has been released on DVD as of yet, perhaps because the first season sets didn't sell as well as they thought they would. I wouldn't buy it unless you are a fan of Bret Michaels or you REALLY want this because it's censured and they've already been aired on television and you can watch them online as well. This show is kind of a guilty pleasure for me because as much as I don't really love reality TV I loved this particular show. The reason I give this boxed set 4 stars is because I loved the show and no one is forcing to buy it, the season is there and if you want to buy it then please do so, it makes it clear that it is NOT uncensored so there is really no reason to complain if you know what you're buying. I know some fans did not get the DVDs for this particular reason. It does however, have some extra features such as Heather cam and Food fight which were not aired and that I did enjoy but there is really not much in terms of bonus features.

5.0 out of 5 stars "What's a goin' on!", May 4, 2010
This review is from: Rock of Love: Season 1 (DVD)
I have to admit that normally I hate trash TV and reality dating shows. But I have been a Poison fan since I was in elementary school so I was stoked a couple of years ago when I heard the one and only Bret Michaels was going to star in his own reality show. This is trash TV at its best, er, worst, well, both...depending on one's point of view. RoL is my one guilty pleasure and actually, I don't really feel guilty at all!

This is trash TV at its worst because (with the exception of a couple of the ladies) these are some of the biggest and dumbest wh0rebags ever shown on television and it is astonishing what they will do to get a piece of Bret! This is trash TV at its best because it is downright addicting! No matter how stupid and slutty some of these chicks are...you actually do grow to like some of them and it's totally fun to look forward to what they will do next.

Bret Michaels will likely come off as kind of a tool to some but he is so genuine and comfortable with who he is and what he is that you cannot help but like him, too. No matter what his lifestyle is like and what shenanigans he participates in or what people say about him and how they may judge him he really is a likable guy and has never tried to pretend to be anything other than what he is. He has the perfect personality for our world of reality TV which is probably the biggest reason this show was wildly successful. He is funny and silly and just plain watchable!

As far as all of the negative reviews in regards to the censored bits: there is not one indication anywhere on the packaging or on the description of this DVD set online that states it is "uncensored." I am not sure why people are so angry about it being supposedly falsely advertised because nowhere does it state that the set is "uncensored." Unrated yes, in teeny writing on the back, but TV shows do not have ratings the way movies do, so all I can say is I guess some people do not understand the difference between the words "censor" and "rate." Personally, I like bleeped out eff words--I find it more effective than hearing "&%$#" every ten seconds, but I guess that is just me...

Overall I love this show and set, but unless you found the show re-watchable when it aired (as VH1 aired reruns several times a week) you probably won't benefit from purchasing this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Do I Love This So Much?, March 12, 2010
This review is from: Rock of Love: Season 1 (DVD)
I just finished watching the entire first season of Rock of Love and I swear, it is like cotton candy for your brain if youre like me and can't get enough of petty girl-fights, drunken stupidity, multiple chicks shamelessly throwing themselves at one man, and trying to guess who will be eliminated next. This show is like being the only sober bar fly on the wall in a room so full of insecurity and vodka that if you weren't a fly, you'd be drowning in it. If you are one of those drivers that has to slow down to gawk at an accident on the road, then this show is for you because it offers absolutley no redeeming intellectual properties and is 100% pure and not so pure entertainment. As for my pairing suggestions, this season goes quite nicely with a 2008 bottle of your local 7-11's finest Chardonnay and some stale popcorn. You'll find yourself understanding how those people in that movie study who polished off an entire bag popcorn didn't even realize it was as old as Bret Michaels himself.

Disclosure Text:
(The reviewer was compensated for posting this review. However, the opinion stated in the review is that of the reviewer and the reviewer alone. Further, the reviewer independently selected this product to review and has no affiliation with the product maker/distributor, Amazon or the review requester.)

Rock of Love: Season 1
Rock of Love: Season 1 by Bret Michaels (DVD - 2008)
$34.98 $4.87