Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on November 17, 2015
I have found some typos in the book - that makes me crazy!! I did buy the next book because I have become invested in the characters!
on October 15, 2015
Very interesting characters. Refreshing style.
on January 1, 2015
This is the second in the Rock and Roll Mystery series that I have read. "Rip-Off" is a great follow-up story, flushing out further the characters introduced in "Rock and Roll Homicide." Lots of action, lots of character interaction, highly recommended.
on December 24, 2014
Good read by an author I only recently discovered. First book in series was better, but I enjoyed this book..
on September 23, 2013
Jason Duffy P.I. is called in to investigate the theft of a rock music memorabilia collection. Each time I picked up the book, I felt like I was joining a group of old friends for some good laughs. Duffy is a tough wisecracking investigator, who is surrounded by trouble and danger. I loved all the characters. This book was thoroughly entertaining and the writing was exceptional. RJ McDonnell, who grew up in a cop family and had a background in music, knows the world he writes about. I can see why this well written book was named the 2010 Mystery/Thriller Book of the Year by Premier Books.
on May 19, 2013
Silly plot, silly characters, stupid band names, extremely predictable ending. Don't waste your time on this one. Even for free I felt ripped-off.
on April 18, 2013
This is the second book I've read by RJ McDonnell and just like the first it kept me interested and not wanting to put it down. 5 stars & 2 thumbs up.
on January 30, 2013
No one can combine rock music, character development and good old-fashioned mystery quite like RJ McDonnell.
In his second mystery novel, McDonnell moves closer to big time success with yet another well-crafted story filled with a crazy cast of funny and interesting characters -- most of whom play sidekick to his detective hero, Jason Duffy.
Set amid San Diego's vibrant music scene, "Rock & Roll Rip-Off" may focus on the theft of a music memorabilia collection but this story isn't just your regular "who-dunnit." McDonnell peppers his chapters with enough information to make readers feel like music industry insiders. Add the author's sharp sense of humor, a maze of unexpected plot twists and a dash of mystery and McDonnell has yet another winner on his hands.
I read McDonnell's first book "Rock And Roll Homicide" when it came out and immediately fell in love with his characters -- the affable detective, Jason Duffy, his long-time girlfriend, Kelly, Jason's gruff, ex-cop father and employees who suffer from Tourette's Syndrome and obsessive compulsive disorder. I was glad to see them all reappear again in his second novel -- which I read in one full swoop on a cross-country flight, unable to put it down. I just couldn't get enough of "Rip-Off" or the funny, charming, amazing and amusing way McDonnell walks his characters through a captivating and suspenseful plot.
With all that going for him, like another reviewer I have to wonder, why this guy isn't a household name? His characters, writing and humor are enough to put McDonnell right up there with Spenser creator Robert Parker. Hopefully, we'll be seeing more of McDonnell's quick wit and fine writing ... and all those crazy characters too.
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2012
Rock & Roll Rip-Off by R. J. McDonnell

An ex-rocker, turned mental health professional (seems oxymoronic) turned, hard nose private eye finds himself dodging bullets while trying to run down a collection of music memorabilia.

Jason Duffy, the main protagonist, is likeable in multiple areas. He is intuitive and creative which aids his detecting. Personally, I thought his strong suite was his compassion and acceptance for his former mental health clients. He pulled them into his life and provided them with a safe haven and occasionally employment. I did think his goal to protect Kelly was a bit overprotective but he did evolve through the book.

The characterizations were marvelous! I really enjoyed the variety of interesting people who populate the book. The story was suitably complex while the major mystery was explained in the first six chapters the ancillary action took the rest of the book to a satisfying conclusion.

I look forward to reading more from R.J. as the premise of his stories leads to a wealth of possible scenarios that promise to be entertaining.

I recommend it.
on December 9, 2012
Rock & Roll Ripoff is the second book in the series. P.I Jason Duffy is back. Not your ordinary P.I. he has a psych degree and was a musician with a rock band. Jeanine is his office worker she is a bit ocd but reliable all his employees were once his patients. The photographer Corey has Tourettes syndrome . And his dad an ex cop is always willing to help. His girlfriend Kelly is very devoted to him So with these friends help he takes on what he thinks will be a simple case a career musician with a huge memorabilia collection. When that collection is stolen Jason is on the scene. He finds an Emo band is somehow involved. Every band member has a motive . Enter drugs a bribe and a murder and this is one fantastic read.