5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery, Rock and Roll and FUN!
Published on April 21, 2011 by Tami Schnurr

2.0 out of 5 stars Wait, Why am I Reading This?
Drat! I hate it when I'm several chapters into a book and find myself stopping to wonder why I'm bothering to read it all.

Published 22 months ago by Liko01

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery, Rock and Roll and FUN!, April 21, 2011
Tami Schnurr (El Cajon, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock & Roll Rip-Off (Rock & Roll Mystery Series) (Kindle Edition)
As a huge fan of Rock and Roll Homicide, I was very excited to read Rock and Roll Rip-Off! The main characters are well written and true to themselves, they grow and interact so well! After reading both books, and having several family and friends read them too, I donated a copy of both the high school library where the last of my children just graduated. A few weeks ago, the library tech told me both books have been frequently checked out, and several kids have come in looking for them, by word of mouth. Can't wait for the third installment in July. RJ has taken the old fashioned detective style and updated it, thrown in the rock and roll, tossed it all in to the Southern California lifestyle and turned out some great books!
Rock & Roll Rip-Off
Rock & Roll Homicide

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the Rock & Roll Series Coming, April 23, 2010
This review is from: Rock & Roll Rip-Off (Hardcover)
Rock & Roll Rip-Off is the second of McDonnell's novels that I've read in his Jason Duffy series. Again, he combines realistic fast-paced action with a fair amount of humor to make for a very entertaining read. It takes place a year after Rock & Roll Homicide left off, and does a good job of showing progress in Jason's detective skills. It also portrays the maturation of his relationship with his girlfriend, Kelly, and the continued ups-and-downs with his crusty retired police detective father.
My main criticism is that McDonnell wrote it in the 3rd person, where Rock & Roll Homicide was told strictly through Jason's eyes. I can see why he wanted to show the readers the villain's perspective. But, personally, I missed the familiarity that came across in the first book.
Overall, I liked Rock & Roll Rip-Off better because of its classic who-done-it twists and compelling tension. I've been a fan of rock music since I was in my early teens, and loved the way the story revealed several major obstacles that are unique to the digital music age.
I really empathized with the victim, a career studio musician and father of five, who built a big memorabilia collection to put his kids through college, only to have it stolen. The victim's wife was very credible in the way she supported her husband, defended her children, and added key insights to move the investigation forward.
Finally, if you felt McDonnell's sense of humor added a lot to his first novel in the series, you won't be disappointed in Rock & Roll Rip-Off. I had at least five LOL moments where my wife asked why I was laughing so hard. I wish there were ten more in this series that I could get started on tonight.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating adventure on the darker side of the music industry, June 6, 2010
This review is from: Rock & Roll Rip-Off (Hardcover)
The music industry isn't all about the sound anymore. "Rock & Roll Rip-Off" is the story of Jason Duffy, a private detective who accepts a job and soon finds the music industry has more than memorabilia in their closets. He becomes entrenched in a plot surrounding a failed debut album of an emo band, and soon finds himself on the wrong side of a successful hit man. "Rock & Roll Rip-Off" is a fascinating adventure on the darker side of the music industry and the criminal underworld that lies with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wait, Why am I Reading This?, June 23, 2012
Liko01 (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews

RJ McDonnell, author of Rock & Roll Rip-Off, wrote this book using the mystery format wherein the reader knows "who-dunnit" right from the start. In this case, the protagonist's convoluted path to figuring out who the culprits are is what's supposed to keep the reader engaged and interested. It totally didn't, at least not for me. Instead, I found myself thinking "who cares?"

Premise: PI with a rock & roll background who comes from a cop family has the inside track on a stolen memorabilia collection. He must work his way through the members of an up-and-coming band and their assorted entourage to identify the bad guys. When he finally does, it's irrelevant. The reader has known all along whose to blame and there's nothing new revealed through character development or plot action to provide any surprises or a satisfying pay off.

Rock & Roll Rip-off has me once again puzzled by the high-star ratings and rave reviews sometimes given to mediocre books. I don't think a true mystery lover will find this story worth their time and effort. There are definitely better choices out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved the First Book - This One's Okay, April 13, 2011
I'd actually give Rock & Roll Rip-Off 3.5 stars if that were possible. One of the main reasons this isn't a 4 or 5 star review is that while the first book (Rock & Roll Homicide) is written first person, this one isn't. I can't imagine why not - I don't think I've ever seen a series go from first to third person perspective before, and the thing I liked best about the first book was being in Jason's head, as it were. I liked seeing things from his perspective. I was happy to see some recurring characters from Jason's assistant to the cop who worked with him last time.

The plot seemed to get a bit out of control, but the good guys prevailed. Jason's relationship with his father and his girlfriend seem unresolved, and don't really seem to develop, but they're okay.

Overall, I'd read another book in the series if the author would be so kind as to write one. And I'd hope the next one would be written from Jason's perspective ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs an editor, June 3, 2012
Still slogging my way through this to see how it turns out. Not a bad story and interesting characters. But there are weird continuity gaps and the author does not seem to know how to stay in the right tense. He writes in the third person but uses present tense in descriptions. For example, "Although he isn't an actual albino, his status as an actual werewolf remains questionable." Other times, he gets it right: "Jeannine was all smiles when Jason returned to the office." The use of the past tense is correct here. This problem is frequent enough that it makes reading the book annoying.

3.0 out of 5 stars rock and roll ripoff, July 21, 2012
T he story was very good but it moved to slow and had to much unimportant details that had no bearing on the story . It would move a lot better without all the unnecessary details.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock and Roll Rip-Off, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Rock & Roll Rip-Off (Hardcover)
Rock & Roll Rip-Off was a truly enjoyable read that also further enhanced the first novel of R.J. McDonnell's which was Rock & Roll Homicide. The well developed characters were quite interesting and funny too. I read as many books as I can get my hands on & I look forward to reading more of R.J. McDonnell. If you are craving a great mystery series you'll find it here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo!, April 29, 2012
T. Dale (DAVISON, MICHIGAN, US) - See all my reviews
If you're looking for a series that will keep you laughing as well as guessing this is for you! I'm not sure I've laughed this much while reading a murder mystery. The author does a fantastic job of "lightening the mood" at just the right time! A series I would love to see continue for a very long time. I give this series a huge thumbs up! Please don't think you have to be a rock and roll fan to enjoy this book. There are plenty of characters to keep you interested!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd book by same author.., June 24, 2011
finished Rock and Roll Rip-Off in "record time" ( no pun intended)..loved it a little more than the first...happy to have the same cast of characters return to my life...and the new characters are just as terrific...
would recommend to all who love a good mystery, humor, music and a bit of the "Cuckoo's Nest" of characters...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›