5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!
I have read countless books on marriage, and they all seem to lack something...which is mostly a clear cut DESCRIPTION in lamens terms of what a wife's MAIN duties are in marriage and what a husbands MAIN duties are per the Bible. THIS BOOK clearly states that in a refreshing way.

Published on February 1, 2005 by G. Whitlow

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as I thought it would be
I know of Robert Lewis from his "Men's Fraternity" series and the videos contained in that.
in fact I came across this book in the handbook of that series (in the preface) and looked it up on Amazon and based on the reviews ordered it. I must say I was so "excited" by the book I ordered another copy for my then fiancé (now wife) and sent it to her (was abroad...
Published 18 months ago by GC

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, February 1, 2005
This review is from: Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage (Paperback)

I LOVE that pretty much every principal in the book is backed up with scripture, that it's not just their opinion. It's God's opinion for marriage.

Traditional marriages never worked and role less (50/50) marriages don't work. If they did the divorce rate wouldn't continue to be so high and couples wouldn't continue to feel so disillusioned in their marriages and thinking SOMETHING is missing. If you are looking for a guide to your marriage and have not found it yet THIS is the book I would recommend.

I devoured this book in 2 afternoons. My husband and I are now reading it TOGETHER every Wed. evening as our own personal "bible study" on marriage (he was TRULY impressed how quickly I read it and scribbled notes :). I have already mailed a copy of this book to a girlfriend who recently got married. I've convinced my sister who is in a serious relationship to purchase it and talk about it with her boyfriend (she in turn has bought it for her girlfriend who is recently married) AND I'm thinking of sending it to my little sister, 20 yrs old. because although she is not in a relationship I want her to see the kind of servant leader the Lord wants her to have and to strive to find a man with these characteristics and for her to live up to her potential in God's eyes one day.

I'm surprised how much this book has touched me, and in return my marriage and the domino effect it has had because of that to others in my life. When you FINALLY find the answers to your questions I guess you want to share it with the world. lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars feminist convinced, July 17, 2001
This review is from: Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage (Paperback)
My first marriage was a roleless marriage--one of "equality." That didn't work. The models provided to me have been traditional marriages and roleless marriages. I haven't liked what I've seen. Then I heard about the Biblical marriage and that it wasn't the traditional marriage. My boyfriend, now fiance, treats me so well and said that this was the Biblical experience. I didn't believe until I attended the Family Life marriage conference .... It was there that I learned of this book. It's convincing with sound, Biblical reasons. It explains how the S word works for both partners to be empowered and feel loved. I no longer consider submission to be allowing dominance but rather following the leader of our family. As my friend said, God asks us to do roles that are harder. I'm up for the challenge!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Practical..., March 26, 1997
By A Customer
The best of the "Christian Marriage" genre. I've read several books on marriage and this is probably the most practical. It tackles the tough questions like: Is it important to have a stay-at-home parent? What does it mean for a husband to be a servant leader? And, what does the Bible mean when it instructs women to be submissive to their husbands? My wife and I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who's interested in a Biblical perspective of modern marriage

5.0 out of 5 stars Defining a Biblical Marriage in the 21st Century, March 15, 2002
This review is from: Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage (Paperback)
It is a well known statistic today that 1 of 2 marriages ends in divorce. One of reasons could well be a confusion on the roles the Bible prescribes for marriage. Although this book presents the idea of the husband as the head of the relationship, it does not present him as the "boss" or as a modern-day Archie Bunker. Instead, men are strongly encouraged in this book to take the lead in serving, in supporting, and in sustaining the other members of the family.
The authors begin by defining the confusion over marital roles today, and the resulting chaos. They then outline the husband's role as servant-leader, and describe his core concerns. The wife's role is then outlined as helper-lover, and her concerns are also presented.
Two chapters are devoted to the idea of submission, dispeling many myths regarding it. Common problems are addressed, and practical applications are provided. The book closes with two helpful appendices recounting the breakdown of gender roles in ancient Rome, and the impact that Paul's words had on that generation.
I recommend this book wholeheartedly for both husbands and wives desiring to gain a better understanding of a Biblical-oriented marriage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very illuminating, excellent book, May 6, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage (Paperback)
If you want a clear, biblical, not traditional, but biblical look at marital roles, this book is excellent. I give it top marks. I think it is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, May 5, 2003
D. Dodson (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage (Paperback)
This is absolutely the best book I have read on building a strong marriage. The "traditional" family structure had some problems, and the "roleless" backlash against that traditional family had even more problems. The answer is not in either of those imperfect systems, but in God's perfect design. Eight years after reading the book for the first time I am still working towards being the servant leader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like reading the other team's playbook, April 1, 2004
This review is from: Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage (Paperback)
This is a great book! Lewis and Hendricks do a great job of explaining why the leaderless marriage concept simply does not work (would you work for an organization that had no leader?). They also address the fallacies behind the traditional roles (i.e. mom stays at home, while dad brings home the bacon)and suggest that there must be another alternative. The reader will get a crash course in the differences between men and women and what each person needs to perform their biblical roles. With a national divorce rate of more than 50%, its obvious that what we have been trying doesn't work. Lewis and Hendricks appeal to the reader to return to God's original design for marriage. Prepare to have your paradigms challenged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else like it!, March 21, 2006
This review is from: Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage (Paperback)
I recieved this book through my mops group at church and it is the best I have ever read! It will change your idea's on marriage. I have been married for 5 years and it changed my views of what it should be!!! Other Bible based books I have read about marriage left me feeling that submittion is demeaning and that I would loose myself in the process, but this book is empowering! It took all the anxiety I had about biblical submission away... And shows husbands how to be servant-leaders, just like Christ. Books now days either show you how to manipulate or tell you to loose yourself for the sake of marriage and I wanted neither. This book is a refreshing look at each roll in marriage...the way God designed them to be, so that we can have biblically based marriages. I want to read it agian with my husband!

It would be a great book for engaged couples to read...they could go into a marriage without false expectations, and know what the Bible lays out for marriage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Caution - EXPLOSIVE! My new #1 book ever., October 18, 2007
This review is from: Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage (Paperback)
This book is a uncompromising punch in the face to bad theology, bad thinking, and bad culture. Here comes the cold water!

The book launches with a fair and open discussion of roles in marriage. In case anybody out there is afraid of even talking about "roles" in marriage, rest assured Dr. Lewis fairly gives both the culture and tradition enough time to say their peace.

Nevertheless, be prepared to have your eyes blown wide open!

Launching from this consideration of roles in marriage, Dr. Robert Lewis passionately and yet surprisingly unpretentiously conveys to the reader a keen understanding of the key issues that plague society today, and yesterday. In the context of these issues, Dr. Lewis annihilates the shoddy ideas about marriage purveyed by both the culture AND tradition!

I found this book to be without question the most comprehensive, balanced, and informative consideration of marriage roles I have ever encountered. Lewis doesn't just challenge today's society; he has made a case against a fraudulent and stupid cultural mindset that has existed, largely unchallenged, for millennia!

Using statistics, rational thought, and refreshingly accurate interpretation of supporting documentation, Dr. Lewis puts the limelight on the failings of the current paradigms regarding marriage, and in response, he gives the fresh air people are gasping for - absolute victorious truth.

You don't have to be a Christian to understand (or even enjoy reading) this book - everything is supported by (obviously well-researched) relevant clinical and demographic information from wide-ranging sources. I might argue that many Christians would be shocked about how little they knew about marriage (as God intended it to be) before reading this book.

I come from a family where I lacked an involved father figure and I was raised by a dedicated single mother. I was shocked at times by what he said; Dr. Lewis' work helped me understand a lot about my own life. I implore societal leaders, mothers, fathers, and ANYBODY who wants to lead a fulfilling life to read this book - it will re-shape your ideas on how to achieve fulfilment and a balanced family life, and you will never regret it.

Lewis speaks boldly and without excuses. You may not like what he is saying, but I challenge anyone to disagree with him on a non-trivial point. Lewis bases his instruction on timeless truths, and it shows.

Dr. Robert Lewis has written THE defining book on marital structure and the functional operation of a marriage, as well as on the support systems for marriage (i.e. church, counsellors, friends.) The mindset produced by the knowledge in this book raises the bar for the outcomes of marriage to what God always intended them to be: fulfilled lifelong couples, successful and happy individuals, and glorious children, all which lead to substantial learning about oneself and about God.

As Denis Rainey says at the start of the book "This book will challenge your ideas about 'Traditional Marriage.'" I see Mr. Rainey, and I raise him; this is some HOT, HOT, SAUCE. This is a must-must read, and my new favourite book ever, but if you don't like the heat, stay out of the fire.

I'm positive that if you read this book, it will convince you to take action. It will put the reasoned desire in you to move your marriage to a whole new level. In that case, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the other book I just read- "Sacred Marriage" by Gary Thomas. If this book turns your idea of marriage from a skateboard to an Indy racer, Thomas' book will take your fast machine and put Space Shuttle booster rockets on it. If you only ever read two books on marriage, choose these two. They changed my life.

-Danny Vanderbyl
Ontario, Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancient wisdom for 21st century minds, April 15, 2003
This review is from: Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage (Paperback)
Of all the books my Finacee and I have read to prepare for marriage, this is by far our favorite! The authors challenge the myth of the roleless marriage and establish that God has given the husband and wife unique roles. The husband is a Servant-Leader, and the wife is a Helper-Lover. In doing so they fearlessly take on the "S-word", what submission really means. It's not her role (as if God created a woman to be a mere doormat!), but merely a response to her husbands Servant-Leadership as she embraces her own role as a Helper-Lover.
The authors provide a picture of the culture for which Paul was writing, and show that it is suprisingly cosmopolitan like our own.
Where others try to twist controversial portions of the scriptures to fit modern ideas, these authors uncover the ancient wisdom of God and bring it to life in the 21st century.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage
Rocking the Roles: Building a Win-Win Marriage by Robert Lewis (Paperback - March 19, 2003)
$15.99 $13.20