Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rockport Men's Ellingwood Derby Shoe
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 23, 2014
I purchased a pair of shoes like this one 3 years ago and it was great. HOWEVER...I reordered and after two weeks the toes of both shoes began to peel. Had to return that pair, but to no avail...the second pair is doing the same thing. The material used for this shoe is like plastic and the outer surface tears and peels like a $5.00 pair of shoes. Horrible product!!!! Never again; and not worthy of even one star!
review image
on August 6, 2007
These shoes were somewhat comfortable right out of the box and after a week of break in they are very comfortable all day, even walking around alot. That's what I selected Rockports for, and they are living up to their reputation in that area.

However, in person the uppers have the look of a less expensive shoe, like the department store house brand that is similar to the high quality shoes in style but only costs half as much. If these cost less, I'd easily give them another star, but for the price my perception is they're somewhat lacking in this area.

So far the workmanship appears to be solid.
on November 2, 2011
This is the third pair of these shoes that I have owned. The previous two pair were comfortable and nice looking but this new pair has the look of pleather. Adding to the shoody appearance (which I thought I could improve with polish--with no success)is the annoying squeek that these shoes make when walking in them. I would not recommend purchasing them.
on December 13, 2012
I wore these twice, both times on sunny days. I had applied high quality polish prior to wearing them. After the second time that I wore them, the top of the right shoe cracked in two different places.

By purchasing these "shoes," I fell into the reduced price trap. Either all Rockport shoes are now garbage or the shoes sold through Amazon are garbage, but I have been burned twice. Because the shoes did not crack until after 30 days, I cannot get a refund; (it's like having your car break down the day after the warranty expires).

I suggest that you buy shoes elsewhere.
on October 14, 2013
I have ordered Rockport for many years, and for a long time was the only shoe I wore. This pair is one of the most uncomfortable pair of shoes I ever had. The old Rockport, before the company got sold, had very flexible and comfortable soles. Now the new shoes are made in China, have hard and inflexible leather soles, and are decidedly uncomfortable. I wore them one time and that may be the last time I wear this pair of Rockports.
on October 26, 2007
This will be my second pair of Ellingtonwood Oxfords. I will admit that I'm no fashion slave, but these shoes go well with my day-to-day office shirt and tie, and I've even worn them with my tux (without my wife even noticing). These are the most comfortable dress shoes I've ever owned, but there's a huge added bonus - these shoes are water resistent. My feet stay dry and happy whether is rain or shine! (Check out the Rockport website for more details.) These shoes are more expensive than most of the shoes that I tend to buy (I like to stay in the $60 range). When I tried them on in the store, I had to think for a moment if my feet would appreciate spending the additional 20 bucks. I also weighed the hassle of more shopping and the answer was obvious. I forked over my eighty bucks and my feet are grateful.
on May 24, 2009
I should have investigated this more. the shoe is fine for rainy days but its a pleather type material so not a daily wear dress shoe. I like Rockport so assumed this was real leather (I've had several pairs and have always been happy).
on December 1, 2012
I bought a pair in oxblood several years ago and found them to be very comfortable. When I needed a new pair of black shoes I felt safe in ordering the Ellingwood model online because I already knew they fit well. What I didn't anticipate was while the shoe upper is still made of leather, the tongue (which is not considered part of the upper) is now "man-made". The stiff plastic-like material is not pliable and the edge digs into my ankle as I stride, making the shoe unwearable.
on October 25, 2011
Often a good product goes without a review, so here is mine in the Rockport Ellingwood.

Rockport Men's Ellingwood Cap Toe Oxford is an overall outstanding value in a men's dress shoe. You can dress it up or down, an it isn't overly shiny such that it could not be world with khakis. The shoe has excellent support, especially at the ball of the foot and at the heel. I wore this to a trade show with several days of walking a show floor--9,000 steps on a pedometer each day, and the shoe was exceptionally comfortable on the entire 4-day trip. The sole is polyurethane, so it did require a couple of hours to break it in. Once broken in, the shoe flexed well with my feet. The heel counter is padded so it collars nicely behind my Achilles tendon. As this is somewhat of a boxed toe design, there is less room at the big toe; however, if you are confident of your foot size (and width) then Rockports tend to fit true to their size.

The style is nice, not too bulky, and they could pass for more expensive dress shoes absent the tap as you walk with traditional leather-soled dress shoes. The shoe is well proportioned, conservative but not boring. I use these shoes with suits and even dress up my khakis.

In walking these shoes are very stable side-to-side, so the construction of the shoe is very consistent. Running through one airport segment, the Ellingwoods complied nicely. These are nice walking shoes and okay for running (they are Nikes nor should they be). The Ellingwood model uses Rockport's last generation Kinetic Air Circulator insole which actually seems to pump air around the inside of the shoe. I wear FoxRiver socks so my feet did feel drier. Note: while this is an older model the insole is plenty contemporary and comfortable. Grip of the polyurethane sole exuded confidence when walking wet, smooth concrete; very slip resistant.

A complaint I have is about the laces on the Ellingwood not being sufficiently "waxed." Waxed laces can last all day without retying. I would spend an extra dollar to Rockport for waxed laces. This isn't enough to take away from the overall shoe experience.

The true litmus test is whether I would buy these shoes again? All things considered I'd answer that question with a resounding, "Yes!" Highly recommended!

One afterthought has to do with polyurethane soles. I've owned brands such as Ecco, Bostonian and Sebago and Clarks. When letting the Ecco sit idle (less than one wearing a month), the soles of both pair of shoes eventually cracked under load. Apparently this is a shortcoming of polyurethane soles and not brand-specific. But having said that, my other pair of Rockports has a polyurethane sole yet they did NOT crack after sitting idle for a year. That said, I trust Rockports.

Second afterthought: I have worn Rockports for over 20 years, and I keep reupping, using the World Tour Classic as a daily casual shoe. I found Ecco to be comfortable; however, with the shoes cracking I have some consternation about the brand. And Googling "Ecco cracked sole" yielded an eruption of complaints. That said, I remain loyal to the Rockport brand.

Third afterthought: The newest Rockport models employ the adiPRENE insole by Adidas, some sort of Neoprene blended insole, and they are comfortable. I could not say they were noticeably more comfortable than the Kinetic Air Circulator insole in the Ellingwood; however, you should be aware of this.
on June 13, 2015
When I bought these shoes, I was trying to find something that was comfortable. I have tried numerous other pairs of shoes from Kohl's, JCPenny's, Macy's, etc. and was yet to find something that was comfortable enough for me to keep them for any length of time. I wear dress shoes daily for work, so obviously comfort and style are key.

I bought these shoes, and unfortunately I didn't find what I was looking for. I didn't realize my foot/knee/leg fatigue was due to these shoes until I wore them for a few days, so sending them back wasn't possible.

My significant other also wears dress shoes daily to work and was having the same issue. He found a pair of ECCO Men's Seattle Bicycle-Toe Oxford shoes and I've heard nothing except how comfortable they've been for him. His shoes still look great, while mine are literally falling apart 5 months later. He's had his for 9 months and is still going strong. I paid ~$90, he paid $130. So when you calculate the amount per month out, we paid just about the same price, yet his are still going strong and mine are not. His are comfy still, mine are not. ... If you wear dress shoes on the regular, get ECCO's ... That's going to be my next purchase ... these just weren't good shoes.

He bought them from Amazon in September 2014. I purchased these shoes in January of 2015.

Currently it's June 2015 and my shoes are falling apart, his are going strong