5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy
Published on January 5, 2013 by Beverly A Hebron Randall

I was really hopeful about this shoe--it was very lightweight, breathable, and comfortable to stand in. The insoles have small "nubs" on them that are supposed to help keep air circulating around your feet, and are supposed to reduce friction to help prevent blisters on the soles of your feet.

However, I should have listened to the other comments. After walking...
Published on January 4, 2013 by N. Schweitzer

2.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, comfortable insoles, chews up your achilles tendon., January 4, 2013
N. Schweitzer (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockport Men's Rocsports Lite Mudguard Lace up (Apparel)

However, I should have listened to the other comments. After walking around my house in these shoes for a few minutes, it became clear that I couldn't wear them. The portion of the shoe that rises up from the heel (which is made of rubber) rubs directly on my achilles tendon. At first it seems like it might just be a minor annoyance that will go away, but after a few more minutes, it became clear that my tendon area was getting red and chafed. While another commenter said that this might go away after the shoe breaks in, I can't walk around with sore ankles waiting for that to happen. Though I liked everything else about the shoe, I had to return it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 16, 2012
I've worn Rockports for years, including shoes in this price range. My first impression on opening the box was that they seemed to be cheaply produced, unlike the previous rockports that I have owned. Wearing them for the first time, they rubbed on the back of my feet, by my Achilles and made it raw and difficult to walk. When I got home, I saw that it had made both heels bled pretty badly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, January 5, 2013
These shoes are great. Rockport has a good line of shoes and these are a nice pair of shoes that can be dressed up or down. They are comfortable and lightweight. The only thing is that they seem to run a little small so you might want to get a half size larger. I found that out by reading other reviews that was right on target.The price was right also on Amazon.com. I am very satisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good looking shoe, but has a horrible flaw, November 20, 2013
These shoes look good, and have nice cushioning in the sole. The shoes fit well, I have medium width feet, and the medium shoes fit as expected.

I will be returning these shoes due to the rubber tab on the heel of the shoes, this tab rubs very hard against the tendon, to the point of wearing away your sock and your skin. I wore them in the house for a few days with no sign of improvement, even tried stretching the rubber, but it keeps returning to the original form.
Would be an good shoe if it was not for this rubber part of the shoe.
Gave it one star, as shoes are meant to protect your feet, not damage them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mudguard Review, December 7, 2012
This shoe is overall okay.
Pros: Lightweight and comfortable
Cons: The leather is very low quality and scuffs very easily! Also, due to the design of the outsole (to make the shoe lighter) it tears away under normal use.
For the money I spent on these shoes I am very disappointed. These are the second pair of Rockports for me. The first pair were my favorite shoe for years and withheld a lot of tough usage. However, these shoes definitely do not live up to my expectations.

1.0 out of 5 stars great shoe but does not have size chart, August 12, 2013
Terence B. Toomey (Canberra, ACT. Australia) - See all my reviews
shoes are great but sizing 2 sizes smaller than other rock port shoes previously bought. had to buy another pair as there was no return policy for us poor old Australians.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sized the same across the brand, April 11, 2014
I have three pairs of rockports, which I love - but they're two different styles and the sizes between the styles do not match up. What is a very comfortable size 10.5 in my suede mens shoe, is too tight in an 11 in this Mudguard Lace up. I've sent two pairs back and they're out of 11.5 and cancelled my order - even though the 11.5 size was over $90 while the 10.5 was under $50 FOR THE SAME SHOE. Guess I'll have to do my shoe shopping at the mall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rockport Men's Lite Mudguard # K72209 Review *Black Version*, December 14, 2012
UPDATE: 4/7/13

Although I no longer feel the pain of the rubber rubbing against my Achilles tendon area, I noticed it still turns the skin red. I didn't even notice for a couple months after breaking them in, but then I saw they were still rubbing my skin raw. The nerves must have just been destroyed. Lowered the rating to 3/5. Hope Rockport does improve this design because the rest of the shoe is great.

Original Review:

After breaking these shoes in, I have grown to love them.

My job consist of various types of movement and non-movement activities. My daily routine consist of large amounts of the following, which would be sitting, standing, walking, running, and jumping. These are non-exercise based and are required for my job. I'm tall with large feet, and large arches, so finding shoes to meet my requirements has been a challenge over the years. I have mostly worn Adidas sambas because any other shoes I've tried were either painfully uncomfortable, or wore out way to quick. But as time went on I realized that I needed more business casual shoes for work, and unfortunately the sambas just didn't look the part. After years of trying different shoes, from dockers, to red-wings, I finally found Rockports.

I gave these shoes a 5/5 because they a super lite, made of nice material, and after breaking them in they are very comfortable. The material used is strong, but thin and borderline weightless. The leather material is superb, it feels smooth, not grainy like some cheaper leather shoes. The soles are great, providing great traction and they appear that they will last over time. The inner part of the shoe is extremely comfortable as well.

There is only one thing that I disliked that I feel is worth mentioning, which is the rubber back part of the shoes. I'm specifically talking about the part that rubs up against your Achilles Tendon area. Shortly after wearing them for the first time I noticed a pain in this region. The rubber part had rubbed up against this area and cut the skin from friction. I realized that this may be a "break-in" stage, so I continued to wear them. Thankfully, after about a week of use this has stopped. Please keep in mind, I don't think this should be a deal breaker, and quite frankly, I don't think Rockport should even change this design. My reason is because I feel that this rubber backing aids in the overall comfort of the shoes once your feet are accustomed to it.

I would recommend these shoes to anyone who is looking for a high quality shoe, that is both strong and lightweight. These shoes are great for multiple occasions, both casual and business casual use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy these shoes, March 28, 2014
I read the reviews and ignored them at my own loss. These shoes will tear apart your heal...they are painful to wear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light with a Twist, December 3, 2013
NevesNET (NevesNET com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockport Men's Rocsports Lite Mudguard Lace up (Apparel)
At first these shoes are very light and comfortable to wear. It's only an hour or so in that you notice the rubber part in the back is making your skin by the achiles heel sore. My feet are somewhat accustomed to this due to all the miles I put in walking the golf course in different pairs of shoes every other day; but, one could certainly see how this would be painful to someone with more delicate feet.

The fit on these is a bit tight and snug, I would go up at least 1/2 a size and wider from your other Rockport shoes. If you can endure the pain of breaking them and your feet in, these are a great addition to any wardrobe.