Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 19, 2013
Check out the reviews on this product and you'll notice that while the average is high, the *recent* reviews are rather poor. Why? Rockport decided to increase their profit by drastically downgrading the quality of the shoe. The soles are no longer made of high quality materials, but are now made of cheap foam rubber designed to wear out in less than a year (and they do).

Not only does this make them cheaper to manufacture, but it also means you'll have to replace them more often. Good for you, Rockport. The timing of the shoe going down hill and the purchase of Rockport by Adidas seems to somewhat coincide. In the absence of ability to improve their product or manufacturing processes, I guess the only way the Adidas MBAs can keep paying themselves mid-six-figures a year for doing nothing is by selling an increasingly inferior product and screwing their customers. This kind of BS is what passes for business innovation these days, and why corporate profits stay healthy despite a moribund economy as we keep getting less and less for our money, a "hidden inflation" nobody wants to talk about. The only people benefiting are the management class who orchestrate this charade.

Sorry for the rant in the middle of a shoe review, but the reason these shoes now suck and some of the problems with our economy are one in the same. These shoes seem cheap, but it's a false economy we pay for on the second and third pair of shoes we need to buy to make these last as long as they used to. Rant aside, you'll do yourself a favor if you vote with your dollar to buy a shoe made by a company that has some respect for its customers.

UPDATE: I'd hoped that maybe I could at least have the soles replaced, and "build" a decent shoe that way. Experiment failed. Everything on the shoe is made so cheaply that the whole thing is starting to wear out, even though the shoe is only a few months old! There is a tear in a seam in the upper, the laces are shot (ok, that could be fixed) and the treads are already almost entirely worn off. So, it's now official: I will never buy another pair of Rockports again.
2727 comments| 321 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2014
For $70+, these shoes are a pathetic attempt at a rugged dress shoe (I immediately returned them). As other reviewers have pointed out, the quality is highlighted (lowlighted) by:

-cheap, thin dollar-store leather,
-the spongy light weight sole that probably lasts only a couple months (if it rains, they will feel like sponges wrapped around your foot)
-the complete lack of support and rigidity in the footbed when walking in these (helloooo rolled-ankles)

I am getting more and more annoyed by the influx of light weight dress shoes into the market and hubris of shoe developers who explain that we should be thankful for this "advanced technology". Sadly, since Rockport was bought by Adidas, all the dress shoes have gone from hard heavy rubber soles (which costs more to produce) to cheap lightweight "Adiprene" soles that last about 6 months before you can poke hole through them (Side note:what the h*ll happened to all the hardened rubber sole dress shoes? Timberland seems to be one of the few that still makes them, but they dont really make dress shoes, only a limited line of casual shoes.)

Heres a tip, Rockport: Stop the marketing b.s. ("Kinetic Air Circulation technology", "Adiprene", "Hydroshield waterproof protection") and bring back the old quality Rockports which had THICK LEATHER AND HARD RUBBER SOLES. Until then, I will completely ignore Rockport's products.
22 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2012
While this shoe is extremely comfortable and handsome but its quality and durability is extremely awful. The bottom sole appears to be made of soft rubber eraser and thread were completely worn out after 8 months! The upper leather started to peal off as well. All I did was walking around the office, never once did I abuse them. And I weight at just 185 lbs so that shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't recommend this shoe at this price. At this price, they should be made to last at least 2 years. They should've replaced the bottom sole with polyurethane material instead of rubber. I'm not pleased with the price I paid for this pair.
55 comments| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2015
Still a good shoe, relative to the harshest of reviews. 10 years ago i purchased a pair of these, and now they look terrible, but their integrity still intact. I had hoped to repeat such a purchase. However, it seems the sole and the uppers are not the same quality they were years ago. The Sole doesn't seem to grip the same, as if it's not as "gummy" rubber as before. It seems like it is lighter and more airy. And it seems like the uppers are not quite as leathery as they were before.

When compared to the Rockport Northfield, the Clarks Centre has more detail, and the manufacturing finish far exceeds that of the Rockport. The puffy workshoe nosed Rockport seems to be plain and stone age compared to the Clarks Centre. The Northfield seems to be bonded leather uppers, as opposed to the Clarks Centre Oxford seems to have a nicely finished top grain cowhide.

If you notice the photos added, there is a group shot with all three shoes side by side.
review image review image review image
on April 3, 2011
I have been buying this model for more than a decade because of its durability and comfort as a semi-dress, non-formal work shoe. I currently have two pairs that I was seeking to replace because of heel wear.

The new shoes were not at all like my previous pairs. The lasts are too stiff, and the soles are made of cheap plastic rather than very durable rubber (I think my first pairs of these had vibram soles).

I decided to send them back. Amazon declined to pay shipping because I said it was an "unexpected style" issue. I would like to dispute this, but I don't know where to do that.
88 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2011
I've owned these for just under a year. At first they were very comfortable. However the sole wore out very quickly and unevenly and began giving me knee problems (granted I'm 6'5 + 225 lbs). Switched shoes and the knee problems went away within a couple of days. However I am planning to purchase a second pair because I hate shoe shopping and I know these are very comfortable and will give me about 6-months wear.
on November 5, 2014
brown shoes. after several miles and hours, crease in the shoes became black.
review image review image
on September 27, 2013
These shoes are indeed made with foam soles, I bought them back in May of 2013 and they were already showing really bad signs of wear after 1.5 months. I contacted Rockport and they had this to say "Please use the following instructions to return your Rockport product directly to us for evaluation. Our technicians will examine the product and determine if it is defective. If no manufacturing defect is found, your product will be returned to you. If a manufacturing defect is found, we will replace the product with a comparable style." I do not know about you but this is so far from reasonable that it reeks. Asking a customer to send their shoes back is totally idiotic and not in the best interest of good customer service. Not to mention that the “technicians” will most likely find them fine, they almost always do no matter how bad the product is. They should have asked for pics and then said wow, your new shoes are on their way of a similar style and make just not with foam soles. I told them I will never buy another Rockport product and I meant it. I just bought a pair of new shoes because these are missing any grip throughout the sole and it is a mere 4 months later. Totally unacceptable, please avoid these shoes for your own sake and send a clear message to Rockport that people will not buy crap!! By the way the shoe is fairly comfortable and the leather is decent...too bad the soles are complete garbage.
on December 13, 2012
These are really nice and well made shoes. Actually this is the second pair I bought; the first pair was black. I found that the shoe was narrower than I expected. The first pair I ordered the width that my foot is and they were a bit tight on my toes. Knowing that, I ordered the second pair in the wide width and the shoes are what most manufacturers would call medium width. You can return the shoes to Amazon if you're not happy but you might want to order a little wider that you normally would.
on February 2, 2007
These shoes are very comfortable, and pass the test for a long day on one's feet. The waterproofing appears to be effective. The only complaint I had was that the shoes in person appear much less formal than I had anticipated based on the picture shown. They are not as appropriate a fit for my business casual attire as I had hoped.