5.0 out of 5 stars Wings at their peak
Published on May 21, 2007 by Ron

2.0 out of 5 stars Something's wrong
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Something's wrong, June 13, 2013
I just received the DVD today, and am wildly disappointed in the audio quality. There's a production problem here. At various times during the movie, the audio sounds like it gets really low. What's happening sounds like phase cancellation. Certain frequencies (usually low ones) suddenly go missing, or begin sounding like it's being played through a long tube. It happens enough to be bothersome and make watching this unenjoyable.

I got out my old VHS copy to confirm, and sure enough those audio problems aren't there on the original release. The music is nice and even all the way through.

So what's happening here is in the production process. Someone else here has reported the same problem on the BluRay version. I don't know enough about video mastering to venture a guess where it's happening in the process, but apparently it's there in both formats.

As much as I love McCartney (Hey, I still have the VHS version of this as evidence), I recommend holding off purchasing this product until you can confirm this problem has been resolved.

Hey Amazon! As soon as you hear anything, I'd like mine replaced.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good picture, bad sound, June 17, 2013
Watched my new DVD of ROCKSHOW last night. Although the picture quality is excellent, the sound has serious problems -- the bass frequencies mysteriously drop out at numerous places throughout the disc. I thought it was my setup until I started reading numerous similar comments on Amazon and another discussion group.

This product needs to be recalled by the manufacturer and replaced with non-defective units.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wings at their peak, May 21, 2007
Ron (Tacoma, WA) - See all my reviews
Forget Wingspan, this is the Wings video to own, caught at their peak in 1976 on their U.S. tour. This is nothing like Paul McCartney's concert videos of recent years. There are few of his Beatles songs played, but the bulk of the show is Wings doing their own hits and album tracks. Paul sings classics like "Maybe I'm Amazed" (from his first solo album "McCartney"), "Rock Show", "Live and Let Die", "Band on the Run", and "Let Me Roll It"; Denny Laine sings "Spirits of Ancient Egypt", "Time to Hide" (from Wings' then current "Speed of Sound" lp) and his Moody Blues hit "Go Now"; lead guitarist Jimmy McCulloch is featured on his own "Medicine Jar", and is on fire throughout the show (IMHO, the best guitarist Wings ever had). Paul and Denny show their versatility, switching between bass, guitar and piano. Joe English is an animal on those drums! And Linda McCartney contributes her little bits on keyboards and sings harmony, preferring to let the guys in the band have the spotlight. Every concert video should be of this quality. No distracting voice overs, no unnecessary visual gimmicks, just Wings at their best playing for a packed house. I doubt you'll ever see this on dvd, so pick it up on vhs while you can!

1.0 out of 5 stars Return it untill they fix it!, June 14, 2013
This review is from: Rockshow [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I love this man and have bought everything more than once. But these disks (Blu-ray & DVD) have big audio problems that must get fixed before anyone else buys this. The bass and drums drop out best described By Dwayne Takeda "Dwayne "What's happening sounds like phase cancellation. Certain frequencies (usually low ones) suddenly go missing, or begin sounding like it's being played through a long tube." I called MPL to let them know and they said some will call be back. I won't hold my breath. The Concert is GREAT and the film looks great. But it is a waste of money to keep it until they fix it. I will return both the Blu-ray and DVD. Wait for them to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply put: Awesome, June 3, 2013
This review is from: Rockshow [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
EDIT 06/20: While I don't doubt that some people are experience audio problems with this release, I must point out that clearly not everyone is experiencing the bass drop-out problem. I, for one, did not - had I been anything less than satisfied with this, I would've been just as angry as anyone. Do a little research, read some forums on other sites concerning this disc, and see what is being said. I heard robust, full bass throughout while listening in 5.1 DTS-HD. The problem, whatever its cause, is clearly not being universally experienced. Think before click "not helpful" simply because a person had a good experience with Rockshow. (I received a review copy from the distributor, full release version, for the purposes of reviewing on a separate website - completely independent of Eagle Rock, I might add, and without compensation)

The full 129 minute concert is a blast from start to finish. What a show, back when McCartney could build it around solo material almost exclusively and not disappoint anyone. I enjoy the non-McCartney tunes for the most part too - especially Denny's "Time to Hide" (always thought it was a highlight of Speed of Sound) and his revisiting of his Moody Blues classic "Go Now." So much energy on stage, with McCartney's voice sounding incredible on numbers like "Call Me Back Again" and "Beware My Love."

Picture is framed at 1.78:1 - presumably representing (approximately) its theatrical aspect ratio. I think its a good transfer, but it must be pointed out that the footage is highly inconsistent. Close ups and medium shots generally fare best. the limitations of filming on 35mm in a dark, cavernous arena are all too apparent during softer focus (and grainy) shots.

The 5.1 DTS-HD MA sounds terrific. It's not fancy (the rear speakers are generally just crowd noise/applause) but the instruments and vocals are punchy and clear (great way to take in McCartney's bass work, which really thumps).

The only extra is a 10 minute montage (called "A Very Lovely Party") of home movie-type footage and some enthusiastic (and sometimes amusing) fan reaction footage. The time listed on the back of the package is 139 minutes because it includes this 10 minute piece (Eagle Rock does that with all their concert DVD/Blu-rays).

Digibook package has a good new liner notes essay. The disc is slid into a cardboard pocket - which I hate because I don't like touching the disc surface and sliding it against cardboard every time I take it in or out. Relatively loose fitting at least.

Can't recommend this more highly to see McCartney at his live performance peak.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bass in your face then it finds a hiding place, June 17, 2013
Boheeber (Spring, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rockshow [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I hate to harp on what so many have already pointed out, but it deserves repeat mention until this problem is resolved. I expected the video quality to be what it is, which is grainy but acceptable for a concert recorded so long ago. What I cannot tolerate is the awful problem with bass (guitar and drums, but mainly guitar). When it is good, it is very, very good, but when it is bad, it is simply GONE. I can't believe Sir Paul McCartney, one of the best musicians in the world on just about any instrument, and a jaw-dropping virtuoso on bass, would attach his name to this project. These audio issues don't exist on the 2013 CD reissue of Wings Over America, so it's odd that the Blu-ray version from the same show has such horrible bass problems. I have already purchased this DVD, and find it highly unlikely that Amazon or MPL will do anything to satisfy early adopter purchasers, but I would advise anyone else considering buying this DVD, at least in Blu-ray, to wait for a Version 2 or a re-remastered copy.

Update 07/01/2013: Went ahead and asked Amazon for a replacement DVD and it is on its way. I will "stare and compare" the two DVDs before I send the one with the bass dropouts back. I am cautiously optimistic that the new DVD will have some improvement. Unbelievable that Amazon has jacked up the price of this DVD since it was first available considering all the complaints about the bass. Stay tuned for what the replacement DVD sounds like...

Update 07/09/2013: Received replacement disk from Amazon. Sorry to say there is no improvement - bass keeps dropping out at the same points in songs that it did before. Guess I'll keep it anyway, since it is still an archive of a pretty good tour. But I have a hard time believing that Sir Paul (executive producer) has actually heard the "finished product" that has been foisted upon us.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Rockshow" Fixed, Gets "Second Release" in Four Months and Now Sounds Awesome, September 24, 2013
David Kusumoto (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
* UPDATE - November 7, 2013 - I am glad that I WAITED until after October 6, 2013 to "re-purchase" this release DIRECTLY from Amazon.

* Yesterday I spent almost four hours watching and re-watching "Rockshow," checking and re-checking everything. Cut to the chase - everything now sounds awesome. The bass drops and audio phase "echo chambering" aggravations are gone. All of the sound mastering errors scattered across the first consumer release of this product in June 2013 - have been FIXED.

* The odd thing - which is EXPECTED - is the audio on "Rockshow" is now BETTER than the video, in both Blu-ray and DVD formats. The reasons why this is so - have already been covered by previous reviewers. Simply put, the original negative used to digitally re-master "Rockshow" - was high speed color film stock shot during the Wings Over America tour in May and June of 1976. As a result, this footage is purposely very grainy in dark areas of the frame - and the primitive spotlighting effects used at live concerts during the 1970s gives "Rockshow" a mostly red-orange-pinkish color cast - which tends to wash out details you normally see in movies that are shot today with high definition cameras.

* This is, in my view, how it should be. I hate when vintage films are morphed into things that look like "Avatar." When older films are re-mastered, I want dirt and debris removed, but I don't want "kids armed with computer toys" to over-enhance the original colors and contrast that audiences saw in theaters when they were first projected brightly onto a big screen.

* Meanwhile, I had forgotten that Wings - that is, the band that performed on stage - was, in some ways, modeled like the Beatles in that its major players like Denny Laine ("Go Now") and Jimmy McCulloch ("Medicine Jar") were given vocal solos, e.g., like how George Harrison and Ringo Starr got to sing at every Beatles concert despite being in the shadow of Lennon and McCartney. Some songs on "Rockshow" have not aged very well, e.g., if you never liked the lyrics to "Silly Love Songs," your opinion won't change today, even though that song still boasts a kick-ass bass line performed by Paul. But other songs, such as "Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me)" - sound better performed live in "Rockshow" - than what was recorded in a studio.

* Keep video quality expectations realistic and you'll love "Rockshow." It was Wings at their peak - when McCartney was still a titanic force in the music industry, racking up a string of #1 hits, selling millions of records and tapes after the Beatles broke up. Now in his 70s, McCartney is a genius who's no longer a prolific #1 hitmaker - but who can still sell out stadiums around the world. Even if you don't like ALL of the songs on "Rockshow," it remains an important historical record of Paul as he was at age 34, still vigorously energetic with a monster voice. That's why it's in my library.

(ORIGINAL PRODUCT NOTES THAT WERE POSTED EARLIER THIS YEAR ARE BELOW.)

===========================================

* For what it's worth, perhaps because of the avalanche of complaints about audio problems associated with both the Blu-ray and standard issue DVDs of "Rockshow," Eagle Rock Entertainment has just updated its website.

* Eagle Rock now says "Rockshow" - which was first released on June 11, 2013 - will have an official "re-release" (though it refuses to call it a re-release) - on Blu-ray and DVD on October 6, 2013.

* You can check this out yourself by going to the Eagle Rock Entertainment site and enter the words, "Rockshow Wings Over America" into Eagle Rock's search engine.

* Note that the new October 6 re-release date for "Rockshow" falls on a Sunday, which is a freakish thing in relation to most DVDs being issued on Tuesdays. Nevertheless, this is the information that appears on the manufacturer's website.

* By October 6, 2013, I anticipate the "mixing" of defective vs. corrected discs in Amazon's inventory will have been purged en masse, to be replaced by corrected products in both Blu-ray and DVD formats.

* It's not quite a "recall" because you still have to be "proactive" if you purchased "Rockshow" before October 6 and find yourself stuck with a defective disc, but to me, the manufacturer's "new release date" is VERY telling.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Major audio defect, July 3, 2013
This review is from: Rockshow [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
As others have pointed out, this BluRay (as well as the DVD version) has a serious, serious audio problem. Throughout the disc, virtually all of the bass drops out for several seconds, and then suddenly reappears. And by "bass" I don't mean just the bass guitar. I mean the lower frequencies of the entire sound mix (vocals, drums, guitars, etc.). The effect is the same as if someone grabbed the bass control on your receiver and quickly dialed it down to zero for several seconds, then dialed it back up to a normal level .... again and again.

Obviously, people who are listening to the BluRay or DVD on a system that doesn't have good bass response might not notice the defect. But I think most people with good home-theater set-ups will find this to be a serious defect. And of course, once you notice the defect it becomes glaringly obvious on all subsequent plays.

I'm not a very particular person when it comes to sound quality. I'm certainly not an audiophile with extremely high-end equipment, but I do have a pretty decent set-up and to me this problem is supremely annoying. It's obvious not only on my home-theater system, but also when I play the disc through my computer's little outboard speakers. It's too bad, because this is NOT a cheap disc and the performance on it is truly wonderful.

I had very high hopes for this release, but it sounds like the distributor, Eagle Rock, is refusing to even acknowledge the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever.., April 29, 2013
I went to go see McCarney and Wings on May 29, 1976 in Kansas City, Missouri. I have seen Elvis, Chuck Berry, first row Marvin Gaye, first row Grateful Dead...etc....nothing prior or since has ever surpassed this show, and I have seen McCartney many times since that first time. I have put off buying the latest round of McCartney items, as I have so many prior issues, deluxe issues, originals, etc, but I do look forward to the release of Rockshow done right, as all I had prior to this were my memories and some rough bootlegs obtained in the late 1970's early 80's, and was always frustrated as to why there were not high quality releases. I look forward to Wing's Over America deluxe release as well. It is just unbelievable that it is just several years short of four decades. It will be a fun summer of viewing and listening to all of this over again, and am equally thankful that it is a lengthy version as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars The full concert experience, May 17, 2013
Bill (Australia) - See all my reviews
We first got a taste of Rockshow on DVD when a few selections from it were included on The McCartney Years collection. Those little selections were pretty unsatisfying and I wondered if it might be an indication that Rockshow just doesn't stand up to modern concert films. Seeing the whole thing, I realise how wrong I was about that.

It's not that Rockshow is without its flaws. Indeed, it's defined by them. The camera angles are either off to the side, looking down from a distance or pointing right up the band's noses. These angles are sometimes blocked by mic stands, miss bits and are frequently out of focus.
In other words, it's just like being there.

In the newly recorded introduction to the film, Paul claims that Wings started from nothing. This is true, if by "nothing," you mean having only one ex-Beatle and an ex-Moody Blue. Still, something that defined Wings was a habit of dropping themselves into a situation without a plan - from an ad-hoc tour of any uni bar that would have them, to deciding to record Band on the Run in a half-built studio in Nigeria (what could possibly go wrong?) - and muddling through thanks to a combination of enthusiasm, showmanship and a musical talent that people would kill just to have just one tenth of. Rockshow is really no different. It was filmed over several nights at the end of the 1976 Wings Over America tour with seemingly no provision made for the filming or for continuity. At one point, Denny Laine manages to turn a black Precision Bass into a Blonde Telecaster bass, and Jimmy McCulloch changes it back a few songs later. There are a couple of other points where Jimmy's fingers are clearly playing different licks to the ones being heard.

What is really interesting about the set list is that although they were promoting the Wings at the Speed of Sound album at the time, it's the previous album, Venus and Mars that is drawn on the most heavily. It actually came as a surprise to me when they played Band on the Run near the end of the set because I really hadn't missed it. Naturally, the few Beatles songs that are dropped into the set draw huge cheers but the show is by no means built around them. Wings had no need to lean on the Beatles connection at this point, but Macca has always been a crowd-pleaser and knew that people would want at least a couple of Beatles numbers. Also, there's a real, live, 4-piece horn section. Remember how good that sounded, Paul?

The new 5.1 mix is restrained, with the surround channels being used only for audience noise. I usually consider this a pretty lazy use of a surround mix but in this case, along with the photography, it complements the simulation of the concert experience. The rest of the mix is a traditional rock and roll arrangement with guitars left and right, as it should be.

Of course, there's plenty of 70s dagginess included as well. Mullets abound and Paul looks for all the world like he is wearing pyjama pants. Despite its flaws - indeed, probably because of them - Rockshow really is the perfect record of Wings at the height of their powers in what was a pretty high-tech show in its day.

Rockshow [Blu-ray]
Rockshow [Blu-ray] by Paul McCartney (Blu-ray - 2013)
$34.98 $15.88