5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Rocky Film With Compelling Life Messages
I disagree with most of the crtical reviews of this movie 150%! Not only was this movie my favorite Rocky film (YES, even more than the original Rocky), it is one of my all time favorite movies which I have seen dozens of times and NEVER grow old of it. So much so it became the inspiration of the main graphic on my business web site.

Why? For many...
Published on February 26, 2005 by Denise Corcoran

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining movie, but it didn't have that "Rocky" feel.
Published on August 23, 2004 by A. Defeo

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Rocky Film With Compelling Life Messages, February 26, 2005

Why? For many reasons.

To me the Rocky theme never grows old. It is the classic "Hero's Journey." The underdog in life that is challenged to pull deep within, fight the inner "demons," connect with one's true strength and inner potential and triumph in the end.

What makes Rocky IV different and more potent in my mind is the contrast in themes. In this movie, Rocky is at the top of his game (in fact retire with all the trappings of success) and is forced to look deep within again but for a much deeper and more soul provoking reason. His best friend and original boxing contender -- Apollo Creed -- has lost his life in the boxing ring to the testerone-driven, freakish, goliath-like Russian boxing challenger. This castrophe forces Rocky to do some deep soul-searching about how "he sold his passion for glory." (from "The Eye of the Tiger" song).

How many people in the business world and life in general, sacrifice their passion for glory?! Probably 95+%. Being a business coach, I constantly look for movies, books, stories that coach people in their businesses. To me this movie has that compelling message. "We must fight to keep our passions alive."

The other aspect that I like about this movie is the strong contrast between nature and technology. Rocky flies off to the desolated mountains of Siberia using nature as his training ground, connecting with his true inner strength. The Russian on the other hand uses all the latest high tech gear and non-stop steroids to build his massive robotic body that looks more like a machine. Another valuable lesson.

While technology has tremendous value to our society, how often do we allow technology to rule our lives, stripping us of our of our connection with ourselves and other people, making us feel more like machines?

If you look at this movie as just a boxing movie, you miss the deeper lessons it can have for your life. Go watch this movie with new eyes and see its brilliant message unfold in front of your eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars CAN YOU SPELL INSPIRATION...I CAN, R-O-C-K-Y IV!, November 17, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Rocky 4 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Simply put, it has the most inspiring training sequence out of all five. The music placed with it is excellent, and the mountain climbing scene put me to happy tears, and raised my pulse about 1000 notches! The fight scene is heartfelt. He wasn't supposed to live through round three. The inspiration felt in this film is outstanding, and if you're a conspiracy buff....well,the Cold War ENDED a short time after. GO ROCKY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocky IV Rocks!!!!, January 10, 2005
This review is from: Rocky IV (DVD)
THis is one of my favorite films ever I have been watching it ever since I was a kid. I liked this movie more than all the other sequels made to the Rocky films. Please do buy this DVD and do yourself a favor.

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to love the Rocky films, April 14, 2004
Matthew Edmundson (Winter Haven, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rocky IV (DVD)
The Rocky films are such inspiring movies. I don't think anybody that has seen any of them other than five has felt motivated to do something with there lives. In the first three Rocky films we see the Italian Stallion come from a nobody to a somebody. He's the heavy weight champion of the world and has overcome a lot. Rocky IV shows they were running out of ideas and naturally Sylvester went to the easy way out, he'd have Rocky fight communism.
Rocky IV is simple enough to follow. Ivan Drago(Dolph Lundgren) is the next big thing in the boxing world. He's the enourmus Russian that looks unbeatable. He's won the gold medal and has cleaned Europe out. He comes to America looking to become the champion and put Soviet boxing back on the map. Apollo Creed(Carl Weathers) wants Ivan. The Soviet agress to the match to show that he's unbeatable. He kills Apollo in the match and then looks at Rocky like he's next. Rocky(Stallone) feels responsible for the death of Apollo. He's unsure if he can beat the Soviet. Even his own wife Adrian doubts him. It's now up to Rocky to rediscover himself and restore honor to himself, Apollo Creed, and the United States.
Rocky IV is such a hoaky movie it's beautiful. The East vs West set up is great. It's not just Rocky vs Drago, it's the United States vs the Soviet Union. This 1985 movie did take place during the arms race and it's a great patriotic tale. Very few movies have me made want to shout USA out while I'm watching them and Rocky IV does that.
I have to tip my hat to Syvelster Stallone and Dolph Lundgren. Both are in amazing shape for the movie. Everybody that has seen the movie loves the scenes in Russia where Rocky and Drago are training. It's so barbaric, tender, and motivating all at the same time. The two in there boxing scenes also look good. Drago is the most impossing force ever scene in any of the Rocky films. Dolph broke most of Stallones ribs during the filming and did a number on bones in his face. You have to love that kind of dedication from Stallone who also wrote and directed.
Rocky IV is an excellent film. A lot of people said they should have stoped after III and they are wrong. Rocky IV is a great motivational and patriotic tale. In a liberal dominated hollywood and media it's great to watch a feel good movie like Rocky IV.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF MY ALL-TIME FAVORITES!, April 9, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Rocky IV (DVD)
This is my favorite out of the Rocky movies. I would give this movie SIX STARS if I could! I have seen this movie over and over and over again... maybe a couple dozen times.. at least. This movie was soooooo awesome. It is one of those few movies that you can see over and over again without getting tired of it. A true classic.
I liked this the best because I felt the most inspiration out of this film. I felt a lot of inspiration and emotion for Rocky to beat the heck out of Drago. In addition, unlike the original Rocky, this movie was fast-moving and there were not dull points. The story kept building as time went on which resulted in my getting riveted throughout this movie.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE SOUNDTRACK TO THIS MOVIE!! This is probably my favorite movie soundtrack ever. I really adore "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor and "Heart's on Fire." The combination of the awesome soundtrack cues along with Rocky's training and fight scenes just made those moments even more emotional. I really sided with Rocky and "felt like I was him" training for the final fight with Drago.
As for the final fight with Drago.. WOW!!! My favorite fight scene out of the 5 movies! It was without a doubt the best fight! I still feel inspired whenever I watch this fight... I love the combination of an awesome soundtrack along with the awesome, bloody, and emotional fight to go to the finish.
I LOVED this movie. It REALLY shows how perseverant Rocky is. Even more so than any of the other 4 Rocky movies, this movie helped congeal in my mind the idea of never giving up and achieving your goals. Throughout the series Rocky was an underdog and learned to overcome all the odds against him. "Rocky 4" is VERY CLOSE to being my favorite movie ever. It is JUST barely by an electron below "Return of the Jedi." "Rocky 4" was just sheer excellence. Spectacular!

5.0 out of 5 stars A movie based on American Values, March 9, 2005
This review is from: Rocky IV (DVD)
The whole Rocky series of movies is about the American dream.
In the first two, Rocky works hard and works his way to the
top of the boxing world through his own hard work, GOD, and
belief in family. In Rocky III, he was on top of the world
but had to learn to defend himself from those who would attack
him and take away what he *owned* and *earned* through his
efforts.

But in Rocky IV, he takes it to the next level. He is drawn
into the struggle against communism in the 1980s. The communists
hating Rocky, have created a drugged up monster named DRAGO
with the specific purpose of sending him to America to steal
the world title and more importantly prove to the world that
communism can produce a better boxer than capitalism and
individual effort produced in Rocky.

As in many cases in the history of America, Rocky and his friends
underestimate the threat of communism. Apollo steps in to
take out the Russian and is killed by him as Rocky looks on.

The communists retreat back behind the iron curtain. Rocky
puts everything at stake and follows determined to defeat
DRAGO on his home ground. Rocky's wife gives the usual liberal
objections, but Rocky is firm in his purpose to fight for
America against the communist monster.

They go to russia and are treated about as would be expected.
They are sent out to a hut in the gulag where they can train
for the fight. They are constantly watched by communists.

Finally there is the fight. Rocky puts everything on the line
and uses his hard head to face down DRAGO and communism. The
communist bosses turn out to have made a mistake in going after
Rocky. Their slaves in the boxing area turn on Drago and then
on the entire evil system of communism. They learn to respect
America and the kind of individual effort that rocky represents.

In the end, we get a 1980 Olympics style moment where Rocky
covers himself in the American flag and creates one of the
great scenes in film history. And unlike 1980, the location
is not the USA, but the heart of the communist empire. The
communist slaves have seen the power of american freedom and
have rejected the anti-god collectivist slavery system of their
bosses.

This movie also introduces a robot into the rocky family of
characters. While the robot is strictly played for comedy,
it adds some good clean fun to the film. I wish there was
more of the robot and that the next Rocky movie had followed
up on what happened to the little fellow.

Stallone knew that communism was rotten and that it would
fall. And I think this movie played a role (a small one)
in bringing about its end.

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining movie, but it didn't have that "Rocky" feel., August 23, 2004
A. Defeo (Pittsburgh, Pa.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rocky 4 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I'm a huge Rocky fan so, therefore, I feel it is my duty to watch each edition in the Rocky series whenever I know its on even if I don't happen to like it as much as the others. Rocky IV falls into that category. It's an entertaining film. The fight scenes at the end are only surpassed by the fights scenes from Rocky II, and it's edited extremely well, but it just didn't feel like a real Rocky movie. In IV, there is a Russian invasion into the world of boxing. The Soviets boast about an indestructable boxer, Ivan Drago (Dolph Lungren) that is the "wave of the future". This angers Apollo Creed to the point that he come out of retirement to take on the huge Russian. He persuades Rocky to be in his corner. This is where the main plot comes into play. Apollo dies at the hands of the huge Russian and now Rocky must avenge his death by challenging Drago to a fight in Mother Russia. I don't want to give the rest of it away, but I'm pretty sure you can figure out how it ends.The thing I found most disapointing about this film is that it had the least amout of character development of any of the Rocky releases. The usual characters are there (Adrian, Paulie, Apollo and even Duke the trainer plays a significant role) but they all just seem to be props for the Rocky character. Adrian is reluctant for Rocky to fight, but doesn't really add much to the plot, Paulie acts like more of a doofus than his usual "edgy" self, and Duke (Tony Burton) is trainer who hasn't died yet. And Rocky himself acts closer to Stallone's Rambo character than the usual fun-loving, wise-cracking Rocky. This film just didn't have the heart of any of the previous Rocky films. They didn't even have "Flying High" to accompany the usual "big fight training montage". Maybe Stallone didn't want the usual formula which is odd since this movie seems extremely formulatic(sp?). Anyway, as I said, it's entertaining, and it's not the worst movie ever made (in-fact it was the third highest grossing film of '85), but for me, personally, I'll give this film a "thumps sort of in the middle."

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocky IV, April 9, 2000
Dustin J. Hetke (New Auburn, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rocky 4 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Rocky IV is to me without a doubt not only the best movie in the saga but the best action-packed sports drama ever made. The emotion and suspense begins when retired heavyweight champion of the world Rocky Balboa's best friend, ex-champ Apollo Creed, is fatally struck and doesn't wake up by a mammoth 6'4" 261 lb. Siberian Express from the east in a Las Vegas exhibition match. Seeking vengeance, Rocky trains emotionally hard in the bitter-cold December of Siberia for an avenging bout in Moscow with the goliath Russian Ivan Drago, trained by enhanced Soviet technology and armed with a 2,000 psi punch and the whole country on his side. This film is the greatest story ever, with awesome music and lyrics by composer Vince DiCola and spectacular training sessions with an awesome soundtrack with artists such as Survivor. A definite must-see movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars The fourth part..., August 21, 2001
This review is from: Rocky 4 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Well,well Rocky IV. A real blockbuster when it came out back in '85. Although the fans enjoyed it the critics really didn't. Sylvester Stallone plays the underdog turned people's champ Rocky Balboa for the fourth time. This time the enemy is played by swedish giant Dolph Lundgren as the Russian destroyer Ivan Drago. Rocky's foe turned friend Apollo Creed has decided that he wants to fight the russian in a exhibition bout. He is awfully confident about himself before the fight,but not so much after. He is actually killed by the hard shots coming from the Siberian bull. After this Balboa is outraged and decides that he is gonna step away from the title. The fight between Drago and Balboa takes place on Christmas day in Moscow. It's a hardfought battle with Balboa being really shaken up during the fight,but luckely manage to knockout Ivan Drago in the fifteen round. I love this movie very much,maybe it's because Iam a real Rocky fanatic. I think it's only the second best sequal in the Rocky series with the third one from 1982 being the better one. It do deserve the 5 stars I have given.

5.0 out of 5 stars That's my dad!, April 4, 2004
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Rocky IV (DVD)
Rocky IV is amazing.It's so powerful.I (...) saw 1 hour of it and I love it!Some of the best scenes ...
A comparison scene between Rocky training out in the Soviet and Drago training with a whole bunch of steroids and high-tech equipment.
Apollo Creed vs. Ivan Drago.Words cannot describe it.
Rocky v.s Drago.This is my first Rocky movie,and I was amazed with the courage and heart.
My favorite lines
"I must break you"Ivan Drago,just before the Rocky fight.
"That's my dad"Rocky's son during the fight.
"If he dies,he dies"Ivan Drago,after killing Apollo
"He is not human.He is like a piece of iron"Ivan Drago,during the Rocky fight.

Rocky IV
Rocky IV by Sylvester Stallone (DVD - 2005)
$14.98 $7.67