4.0 out of 5 stars Video Quality Breakdown
If you are looking at this you know this is a classic series of movies. I am here to attempt to review the quality if the blu-ray transfer for each movie. I want a potential buyer to know what they are getting when it comes to a the video quality presented in this set

Case:

The design here is compact and neat. There is an oversized blu ray keep case...
Published 15 months ago by broctune

2.0 out of 5 stars Again?
The stars which are used to rate this product are for the technical specs of the product itself, not a rating on the merits of the films. I am a huge Rocky fan, so the films would get five stars, no matter how they were packaged. Ok, now that I've cleared that up:

From The Digital Bits news today: "In other release news, MGM has just set a Rocky: The Complete...
Published on October 16, 2007 by Darren Margolis

‹ Previous | 1 2 376 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars I Know I Speak For All 'Rocky' Fans, January 31, 2014
MiddleMan (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Does Sylvester Stallone have anything to do with these releases?

'Rocky' is such an endearing movie franchise, but the way MGM handles the home distribution is despicable. The franchise's value is reportedly into the billions - treat it as such. There only needed to be one box set Blu-ray release, 'The Undisputed Collection', and that was done wrong. This new 'Heavyweight' set is just a rip-off repeat of it, minus some of the bonus features. Why would anyone buy it?

Here's what's wrong with both of these Blu-ray sets (before we get into the actual movies themselves):

Let's start with the 'Heavyweight' set's packaging: That's not even the ROCKY font! The cover and spine of the set should be solid black with 'ROCKY' in the original font in gold-yellow, Rocky's colors. Add Stallone's signature on there somewhere and it's good to go. You'd never see 'Star Wars' or 'Jaws' repackaged with the name any other way than the original LOGO. Because that's what it is, a logo. Rocky has one too. Use it.

MGM, do you know who you're catering to? No box set of any film series is complete without sticking to the fonts and styles of the original theatrical posters and promos. Your '007' sets don't stray like this Rocky set does. It's hardcore fans like me who would shell out the money for these sets anyway. Do you really think any non-Rocky fan is going to pay $40 when you can get all of them individually in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart - some with double features? You can get the 'Rocky Balboa' DVD for $5 at Best Buy. Why are the Rocky fans getting the shaft like this?

Why is only the original 'Rocky' getting any remastering treatment? This was the main issue people had with the 'Undisputed' Blu-ray set. These movies were far from flops; the Rocky series is one of the most successful movie franchises of all time. Rocky II - V all deserve the same respect.

On the original DVD release box set from 2000, each disc contained the theatrical trailer for the movie. Nowhere to be found on the 'Undisputed' set. PUT THEM BACK! Along with any TV spots. The Rocky movies were big hits that still command a huge following both here and internationally. Let's see some of the press that surrounded their original theatrical releases.

THE FILMS

ROCKY - I want to see the original ending that was cut. That picture of Rocky & Adrian holding hands inside the 'K' on the poster is from them walking in the back after the fight. If the footage no longer exists, I'd like to hear Talia Shire or someone explain it. Were other scenes cut? If so, what were they about? (See my reasoning, if you really need it, when we get to 'Rocky Balboa'.)

ROCKY II - Well done sequel that carried the story on in the same vain as the original and all the actors turned in great performances. There had to be more than one trailer for this. It was 1979 and the studio was pushing the sequel to their huge hit from 3 years ago. Any cut scenes? Let's hear about them. How about some insight on Stallone taking on the role of director? Was John Alvidsen approached? I always wondered who conjured up the idea of a sequel in the first place. Was it the studio or was is Stallone?

ROCKY III - Ditto. Took the story forward and on to the next level. It was junk food for us fans, sweetened with 3 fights (including the wrestling match). Plus, the addition of 'Eye Of The Tiger' to the soundtrack. I was 8 when this came out and remember the line around the theater and all the hype with the song - good times! However, clocking in shorter than its prequels at a little over 1.5 hours, there must have been cut scenes. What were they? Why were they cut? Also, there's a 'making-of' special out there on YouTube, showing behind the scenes footage including practicing with Hulk Hogan for the Thunderlips match along with Stallone and Mr. T rehearsing their bouts. Come on with it! Let Hulk Hogan talk about the conflict he had with Vince McMahon, Sr., who gave him the ultimatum: Either work for me at the WWF or go do the Rocky movie. Hogan chose the latter and we all know what happened to pro wrestling after 1982 and Hogan's exposure from the film.

ROCKY IV - *Sigh*. The biggest money maker in the series, but talk about getting way off track story wise. Not to mention adding 6 magical years to the story line (that was one long friendly match with Apollo Creed at the end of III !). Even shorter than 'Rocky III', there must have been cut scenes. The trailer has an interesting blip of the boxing board members sitting around a conference table refusing to have the match between Rocky & Ivan Drago due to Apollo Creed's death. Didn't make the final cut. Please show this. Explain. And also, how about the change up in the soundtrack? Let's talk about it.

ROCKY V - We all know the negative stigma surrounding this one. However, the swerve of Rocky & co. going from riches back to rags was a well-needed shot in the arm for the story. If you're a Rocky fan like me, you also know full well about and have seen the 'directors cut' floating around YouTube these past couple of years (with Bill Conti's original score, not MC Hammer's music). The cut dialogue in the scene with Rocky and his lawyers about his finances is so well-needed. Rocky and Adrian lay into Paulie about the financial mess he caused. This was - unrealistically - barely addressed in the final cut. This, along with the rest of the project and cut scenes (Little Marie?), needs to be discussed between director John Alvidsen and Stallone in a sit down like the one William Friedkin and William Peter Blatty have on 'The Exorcist' discs.

ROCKY BALBOA - It's been said, and I'll say it again: Stallone did so right by all us fans with this one, the final chapter. Well-written, well-preformed and with the atmosphere of the original it hit all the right points. But, how about a director's cut? The deleted scenes are so awesome and would only enhance the story - especially the Paulie/girlfriend bit and when Rocky runs into wheelchair-bound Andy in the bar. What's also a plus in this story is that when it comes to the computer fight, you hear detractors of Rocky for the first time in the series. One of the commentators calls Rocky 'overrated'. It would have been interesting to hear just a tinge of that in Rocky II and then Rocky IV after Rocky's 3 years at the top.

What's the big deal? The big deal is that Rocky is an American folk hero. These are supposed to be 'ultimate sets', 'Undisputed'. Well, the Rocky fans are disputing. Despite Chuck Wepner' s legit issues with Stallone and how he was handled, on screen Rocky the character hits home for a lot people. The whole 'going the distance' thing can be applied everywhere in life. It resonates with people, touches nerves (positively). And, the Rocky of 2006 pushing age 60 spoke just as well.

What other film has produced a character and story as inspirational like this? Nothing since 1976, that's for sure. If so, name it. No movie character gets discussed the way Rocky does. Because people can relate.

THE EXTRA'S

What other movies have such a stirring and motivating original score and soundtrack? Only John Williams' 'Jaws', 'Star Wars' and 'Indiana Jones' scores come close to getting you pumped up like the music in the Rocky films. How about a segment devoted to Bill Conti and his work, along with Vince DiCola and his synthesizer score for Rocky IV? How about an interview with the band members of Survivor? Even MC Hammer & co. - how (and why?) did they get tapped for the 'Rocky V' soundtrack?

Go to Philly: What other movie character still has their statue and permanent sneaker prints anywhere outside of Hollywood? Rocky could have been from LA or New York. But, Stallone based him out of blue-collar Philadelphia. It's a large city, but it's also a town like any other town in 'flyover country', not a whole lot of glamour. Track down the owner of the building at 1818 E Tusculum St. in Philly, along with others in the area who were there for all the filming, etc. Give the city its props with a segment devoted to it. Along with the city's rich history, the whole Rocky thing is part of the charm for tourists.

The sport: Focus a segment on boxing. Include Chuck Wepner's ESPN documentary, let's be fair. Interview other boxers as well; get their insight and opinions on the Rocky movies. Stallone was inducted into the boxing hall of fame a few years ago, include it. I've trained at Freddie Roach's Wild Card gym in Los Angeles. The walls are covered with posters and pictures, all boxing-related (lots of Manny Pacquiao, of course). But on the way out, look up above the door and you'll see the only picture in the whole place that's under plexi glass protection: It's a black and white shot from the 'Rocky IV' fight with Stallone's autograph on it. You simply can't deny the films' place in the world of boxing.

Some of these things I'm calling out have been addressed on the various releases. How about getting them all into one place finally, on one set? Otherwise, it's just obvious greed on the studios' part.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Mr. Stallone, you hit the nail on the head in 1976 with Rocky. One of a kind, the likes of which we haven't seen since. Unlike Rambo, Rocky Balboa is your baby. You created him. I understand people have a hard time separating you from him. But, the series' treatment deserves so much better and we would think you'd prefer to see it better handled as well. Do us a favor: Pick up the phone, call someone over at MGM and straighten this crap out.

Instead of churning out repetitive sets (in poor packaging), ROCKY and its fans deserve a better Blu-ray box set.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a huge Rocky Fan... this disappointed..., March 3, 2010
This review is from: Rocky: The Undisputed Collection (Rocky / Rocky II / Rocky III / Rocky IV / Rocky V / Rocky Balboa) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
When I was 13 my brother took me to the drive in to see Rocky. I was hooked and have been a Stallone fan ever since.

I have the DVD boxed set as well as the cable HD broadcast, and now I have the Bluray box set. Let me start by saying I haven't watched all the movies in the BD set, just the first one. It is by far the worse picture quality of any versions I currently have. Even the aspect ratio isn't the same as the theatrical release. Seeing that the first movie is by far the best, and an academy award winning movie- I would have expected it to have gotten the royal treatment and to look the best. Even if the rest in the set look great, this is a major disappointment, at least to me.

I know some have said in their review that the PQ wasn't that bad so I don't know, maybe there were bad discs released but I doubt it. Mine have so much grain and noise I took the disc to another player to make sure something hadn't gone wrong with my bedroom BD player. It was just as bad. Actually it looked worse. In the bedroom I have a 32" HDTV and downstairs I have a 55" HDTV and a 106" projector system. The bigger you go the worse it looks because all that awfulness gets blown up bigger. I'd never watch this on my projector yet this is one of my favorite movies and exactly the type of content I use the projector for.

I know this sounds pretty negative but the picture quality really is that bad, at least for my set. I know the price was great, but if you are expecting Bluray picture quality you will be very disappointed. This is a bad value at half the price...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Blu-Ray Release of Rocky Films, August 18, 2013
Rocky is about an average guy with a big dream. He has to out-box Apollo Creed for the heavyweight championship. The chemistry and performances in this franchise are excellent. Rocky fans will be happy to find all 6 Rocky movies from the original to Rocky Balboa are included here in this 7-disc Blu-ray collection (2009). The series never got much love in the way of extras (many previous DVD sets had no extras). This set includes a 7th Bonus Disc (Rocky Anthology) with recycled extras from the Rocky 2-Disc Collector's Edition DVD, Rocky Balboa BD and one new HD game (Feeling Strong Now!) which is fun for a time. Overall the product isn't as comprehensive as fans would prefer. It seems somewhat slapdash as if Rocky I-V barely exist (the sequels are mostly ignored). Only Rocky Balboa gets special treatment with extras on its disc, the only audio commentary and deleted scenes. Forget about the frequently mentioned Rocky IV and V trimmed scenes and director's cut of Rocky V. We are missing a truly comprehensive documentary on the franchise (76 minutes describing 6 films doesn't cut it anymore when Blade Runner got a 3-hour deluxe documentary for a single film). There is a total of roughly 4.5 hours of total bonus supplements (3.5 hours from Rocky 2-disc DVD & 1 hour from Rocky Balboa BD) which is good but not great. 6 films deserve at least 6 hours in extras, new documentaries and/or a remastering for such a great franchise. So this collection is the light version of the box set and certainly not deluxe. This set delivers mostly "single film treatment" which is so common to box sets. The first five films in The Planet of the Apes franchise got better treatment.

Disc 7: Rocky Anthology Bonus Disc: Feeling Strong Now! Game, Rocky Featurettes: Three Rounds with Legendary Trainer Lou Duva, Interview with a Legend - Bert Sugar: Author/Commentator and Historian, The Opponents, In the Ring: Three-Part Making-Of Documentary, Steadicam: Then and Now with Garrett Brown, Make Up! The Art and Form with Michael Westmore, Staccato: A Composer's Notebook with Bill Conti, The Ring of Truth, Behind the Scenes with John Avildsen, Tribute to Burgess Meredith, Tribute to James Crabe, Video Commentary with Sylvester Stallone, Sylvester Stallone on Dinah! (1976), Stallone Meets Rocky, Trailers.

Hang onto your Rocky (Two-Disc Collector's Edition DVD) for the audio commentaries. Consider purchasing this collection as the value pack ($6/film) if you don't own them all. Rocky II-V don't have many extras in their stand-alone releases and nothing much is added here. If you enjoy two or more of the films it is worth it. I would rate the films 5 stars and this collection 2 stars because it could have been so much better and isn't a major upgrade from the DVD collection. Many franchises get poor treatment but prior Rocky releases felt like the movie was slapped onto disc and shipped out. Rocky was loved by millions, inspired thousands and deserves heartfelt remastering. IGN ranked this release at #18 in Top 25 Worst Blu-Ray releases (notably Robocop Trilogy, The Terminator and Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition also make the list). The video and audio quality aren't up to snuff. If you already own the Rocky film collection then this doesn't add much. Although you do get a few extras on Disc 7 it seems cynical to include so little bonus content (not all of the DVD extras were ported over either). The problem is that not all of the films seem to be in true HD (the transfers are the best Rocky has looked but still don't look great when compared to other Blu-Rays). Rocky fans deserve better treatment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocky!...Rocky!...Rocky..!!!, October 2, 2012
I bought this after I read some of the mixed reviews on here & decided to get it to not only decide for myself wether i like this or not but it was on sale & it was an anthology I had always wanted but thought it was a little to pricey for $60 so when I saw it for half price I thought I had to get it. Now, a lot of people complained of a grainy or blurred picture. I guess it is a little grainy if you look close for it but it's an old movie, you know? You're not gonna get a picture like say a movie that came out a year ago or something. I've seen the first 3 & I don't really see what the big deal was about all the complaints. And of course the movies themselves are just awesome. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys Rocky movies

5.0 out of 5 stars Yo Adrian!!!!!!, August 8, 2012
I'm 19 so I wasn't alive to see the originals when they came out but I discovered them on the internet and have watched all of them. I am a huge Stallone and Rambo fan. The Rocky story is just beautiful. I love the emotion, the action, the pain, the triumph, and the love. I think these movies are a must to watch because they will inspire you to be a better man and a better American. I always get a little watery eyed when I hear The Measure of Man and I think of all the final scenes when Rocky has won his fight and Adrian is in his arms and the American flag is draped around him and his face is so bruised. It just gets me right there. I think it's the triumph over pain and fear that is the most beautiful, there's no feeling like it in the world. I love the scenes with the stairs too. The patriotism and pureness of the films is very obvious. The other element that I love in these movies is the relationship between Rocky and Adrian. I love how he pulls her out and loves her for all she is. I love how he says "You're never getting rid of me." I think we need more positive marital messages in today's entertainment like this. I was heartbroken in the final movie when Adrian is dead. It makes the series very powerful but I miss her character very much. I can't help but feel the pain that Rocky does. My prayers go out for Sylvester now with the death of his son. Seeing young Sage in the movie must be so difficult for him. His real life loss must be horrible. But Sylvester is a great guy and I know that he believes and lives by his movies. He will overcome the loss. Yo Adrian, I did it!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fair Transfers But Cheap Packaging!!!!, March 13, 2010
I thought the transfer on Rocky was just awful! I liked the vivid colors but their is entirely too much film grain on the first movie. It was like I was watching a really old film canister. Rocky II was better but still quite old looking retaining its film grain. Rocky III was similar but still better looking than Rocky. Rocky IV looked amazingly good considering how old the movie is. This was the best looking of the older films. Rocky V looked similar to II and III but still decent for its age. Rocky Balboa looked awesome!!! The Transfer was really solid especially when he was in the ring with Mason Dixon. Finally, the packaging fox gives you is really crappy. The hubs barely hold onto the movies. Very flimsy design for a collector's edition. Luckily blu-ray has a really tough scratch resistant coating. Boo for Fox/MGM selling this with a horrible packaging design flaw!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of a great movie saga for a great price., September 15, 2014
I don't know why some reviewers are complaining about the picture quality or details that have nothing to do with the movies themselves.
The first Rocky movie was released in 1976 as in the YEAR 1976. There was no Blu-Ray or even DVD back then, so you aren't always going to get crisp Blu-Ray pictures from a source that was not originally made to play on Blu-Ray compared to movies that were filmed to be on Blu-Ray from the start. That being said, the picture being transferred to Blu-Ray looks excellent. I play the movies on a Panasonic Blu-Ray player, on a Toshiba player and as well on PS3 and PS4 game consoles. The picture quality is great on all players.
There are all kinds of extra features, commentaries, etc included. Originally priced at $60, you can find this great collection of all 6 Rocky movies on Blu-Ray for around $35 or less which is even a better deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocky in Hi Def!, July 3, 2010
D. Van Cleave (Franklin, IN United States) - See all my reviews
What can I say? I am a diehard Rocky fan. Now I can watch them with blu-ray picture and sound quality. Rocky...Rocky...Rocky...

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Disc, February 3, 2011
I recently received the Blu-Ray box set collection of the Rocky movies for Christmas and was very happy to receive them until I began to watch them. Upon viewing Rocky II, the disc seemed to be corrupted. During the beginning of round 2 of the final fight between Rocky and Apollo, the disc stops and the movie becomes distorted where the movie stopped. I cleaned the disc and the player, but it stops at the same spot at approximately an hour and 45 minutes in to the movie. There is no scratch on the disc. I am wondering how I go about replacing the disc. If it wasn't for that disc, I would have given this Blu-Ray 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rocky box set review......, March 31, 2010
I purchased this item because I'm currently trying to build my blue ray collection and I figured you couldn't go wrong with a box set of rocky movies. I've always liked the rocky movies and the sale price on this was pretty good for a blue ray set. I am currently an amazon prime member so the two day shipping on items is awesome. Love this set but gave 4 stars in the review because my case was scratched when it got here. I've shipped several things back to amazon before because of this though and didn't ask for a replacement this time. Just didn't pay attention the day the item arrived and request a replacement.

‹ Previous | 1 2 376 | Next ›