4.0 out of 5 stars Video Quality Breakdown
If you are looking at this you know this is a classic series of movies. I am here to attempt to review the quality if the blu-ray transfer for each movie. I want a potential buyer to know what they are getting when it comes to a the video quality presented in this set

Case:

The design here is compact and neat. There is an oversized blu ray keep case...
Published 10 months ago by broctune

2.0 out of 5 stars Again?
The stars which are used to rate this product are for the technical specs of the product itself, not a rating on the merits of the films. I am a huge Rocky fan, so the films would get five stars, no matter how they were packaged. Ok, now that I've cleared that up:

From The Digital Bits news today: "In other release news, MGM has just set a Rocky: The Complete...
Published on October 16, 2007 by Darren Margolis

‹ Previous | 1 2 363 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Rocky Heavyweight Collection, February 9, 2014
The Rocky franchise is one of my personal favorites. Very few characters have resonated with audiences the way Rocky has. This collection includes all six Rocky films, from the original "Rocky" (1976) to the latest installment "Rocky Balboa" (2006). The first film in particular is one of the all-time great movies, it has stood the test of time and remains a wonderful achievement in filmmaking. The sequels vary in quality, but they are all bound together by the heart of the title character as well as entertaining boxing matches.

For those who already own the Rocky: The Undisputed Collection (which seems to be going out of print), the question is should you purchase this set?

The main reason to upgrade would be an improved image quality on the first film. If you own the Undisputed Collection, you'd probably agree that the picture quality is good but there was a lot of room for improvement. The Heavyweight Collection features a new transfer, and the result is a much better viewing experience.

Some have brought up the much lamented 7th disc of bonus features that was included in the Undisputed Collection, but is not included in this Heavyweight Collection. However, it's not as bad as it looks... almost all of the bonus material on that disc have been included on Disc 1 of this new set (so it's on the same disc as the first "Rocky" film). I am not sure why this change was made, but my guess is there have been improvements in storage capacity since the first blu-ray set was released, and thus there is more room on the movie disc to fit the special features.

In fact, there is one new feature included in this set: "8mm Home Movies of Rocky".

So if you already own the Undisputed Collection and have no problem with the video quality, then upgrading to this set probably isn't essential. But for those who are big Rocky fans and want the very best video experience, this collection is certainly the way to go.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Blu-Ray Release of Rocky Films, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Rocky: The Undisputed Collection (Rocky / Rocky II / Rocky III / Rocky IV / Rocky V / Rocky Balboa) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Rocky is about an average guy with a big dream. He has to out-box Apollo Creed for the heavyweight championship. The chemistry and performances in this franchise are excellent. Rocky fans will be happy to find all 6 Rocky movies from the original to Rocky Balboa are included here in this 7-disc Blu-ray collection (2009). The series never got much love in the way of extras (many previous DVD sets had no extras). This set includes a 7th Bonus Disc (Rocky Anthology) with recycled extras from the Rocky 2-Disc Collector's Edition DVD, Rocky Balboa BD and one new HD game (Feeling Strong Now!) which is fun for a time. Overall the product isn't as comprehensive as fans would prefer. It seems somewhat slapdash as if Rocky I-V barely exist (the sequels are mostly ignored). Only Rocky Balboa gets special treatment with extras on its disc, the only audio commentary and deleted scenes. Forget about the frequently mentioned Rocky IV and V trimmed scenes and director's cut of Rocky V. We are missing a truly comprehensive documentary on the franchise (76 minutes describing 6 films doesn't cut it anymore when Blade Runner got a 3-hour deluxe documentary for a single film). There is a total of roughly 4.5 hours of total bonus supplements (3.5 hours from Rocky 2-disc DVD & 1 hour from Rocky Balboa BD) which is good but not great. 6 films deserve at least 6 hours in extras, new documentaries and/or a remastering for such a great franchise. So this collection is the light version of the box set and certainly not deluxe. This set delivers mostly "single film treatment" which is so common to box sets. The first five films in The Planet of the Apes franchise got better treatment.

Disc 7: Rocky Anthology Bonus Disc: Feeling Strong Now! Game, Rocky Featurettes: Three Rounds with Legendary Trainer Lou Duva, Interview with a Legend - Bert Sugar: Author/Commentator and Historian, The Opponents, In the Ring: Three-Part Making-Of Documentary, Steadicam: Then and Now with Garrett Brown, Make Up! The Art and Form with Michael Westmore, Staccato: A Composer's Notebook with Bill Conti, The Ring of Truth, Behind the Scenes with John Avildsen, Tribute to Burgess Meredith, Tribute to James Crabe, Video Commentary with Sylvester Stallone, Sylvester Stallone on Dinah! (1976), Stallone Meets Rocky, Trailers.

Hang onto your Rocky (Two-Disc Collector's Edition DVD) for the audio commentaries. Consider purchasing this collection as the value pack ($6/film) if you don't own them all. Rocky II-V don't have many extras in their stand-alone releases and nothing much is added here. If you enjoy two or more of the films it is worth it. I would rate the films 5 stars and this collection 2 stars because it could have been so much better and isn't a major upgrade from the DVD collection. Many franchises get poor treatment but prior Rocky releases felt like the movie was slapped onto disc and shipped out. Rocky was loved by millions, inspired thousands and deserves heartfelt remastering. IGN ranked this release at #18 in Top 25 Worst Blu-Ray releases (notably Robocop Trilogy, The Terminator and Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition also make the list). The video and audio quality aren't up to snuff. If you already own the Rocky film collection then this doesn't add much. Although you do get a few extras on Disc 7 it seems cynical to include so little bonus content (not all of the DVD extras were ported over either). The problem is that not all of the films seem to be in true HD (the transfers are the best Rocky has looked but still don't look great when compared to other Blu-Rays). Rocky fans deserve better treatment.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm a huge Rocky Fan... this disappointed..., March 3, 2010
When I was 13 my brother took me to the drive in to see Rocky. I was hooked and have been a Stallone fan ever since.

I have the DVD boxed set as well as the cable HD broadcast, and now I have the Bluray box set. Let me start by saying I haven't watched all the movies in the BD set, just the first one. It is by far the worse picture quality of any versions I currently have. Even the aspect ratio isn't the same as the theatrical release. Seeing that the first movie is by far the best, and an academy award winning movie- I would have expected it to have gotten the royal treatment and to look the best. Even if the rest in the set look great, this is a major disappointment, at least to me.

I know some have said in their review that the PQ wasn't that bad so I don't know, maybe there were bad discs released but I doubt it. Mine have so much grain and noise I took the disc to another player to make sure something hadn't gone wrong with my bedroom BD player. It was just as bad. Actually it looked worse. In the bedroom I have a 32" HDTV and downstairs I have a 55" HDTV and a 106" projector system. The bigger you go the worse it looks because all that awfulness gets blown up bigger. I'd never watch this on my projector yet this is one of my favorite movies and exactly the type of content I use the projector for.

I know this sounds pretty negative but the picture quality really is that bad, at least for my set. I know the price was great, but if you are expecting Bluray picture quality you will be very disappointed. This is a bad value at half the price...

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocky!...Rocky!...Rocky..!!!, October 2, 2012
I bought this after I read some of the mixed reviews on here & decided to get it to not only decide for myself wether i like this or not but it was on sale & it was an anthology I had always wanted but thought it was a little to pricey for $60 so when I saw it for half price I thought I had to get it. Now, a lot of people complained of a grainy or blurred picture. I guess it is a little grainy if you look close for it but it's an old movie, you know? You're not gonna get a picture like say a movie that came out a year ago or something. I've seen the first 3 & I don't really see what the big deal was about all the complaints. And of course the movies themselves are just awesome. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys Rocky movies

5.0 out of 5 stars Rocky in Hi Def!, July 3, 2010
D. Van Cleave (Franklin, IN United States) - See all my reviews
What can I say? I am a diehard Rocky fan. Now I can watch them with blu-ray picture and sound quality. Rocky...Rocky...Rocky...

5.0 out of 5 stars Yo Adrian!!!!!!, August 8, 2012
I'm 19 so I wasn't alive to see the originals when they came out but I discovered them on the internet and have watched all of them. I am a huge Stallone and Rambo fan. The Rocky story is just beautiful. I love the emotion, the action, the pain, the triumph, and the love. I think these movies are a must to watch because they will inspire you to be a better man and a better American. I always get a little watery eyed when I hear The Measure of Man and I think of all the final scenes when Rocky has won his fight and Adrian is in his arms and the American flag is draped around him and his face is so bruised. It just gets me right there. I think it's the triumph over pain and fear that is the most beautiful, there's no feeling like it in the world. I love the scenes with the stairs too. The patriotism and pureness of the films is very obvious. The other element that I love in these movies is the relationship between Rocky and Adrian. I love how he pulls her out and loves her for all she is. I love how he says "You're never getting rid of me." I think we need more positive marital messages in today's entertainment like this. I was heartbroken in the final movie when Adrian is dead. It makes the series very powerful but I miss her character very much. I can't help but feel the pain that Rocky does. My prayers go out for Sylvester now with the death of his son. Seeing young Sage in the movie must be so difficult for him. His real life loss must be horrible. But Sylvester is a great guy and I know that he believes and lives by his movies. He will overcome the loss. Yo Adrian, I did it!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars what can i say? It's ALL THE ROCKY'S!, May 22, 2014
Scott Crespi (DALLAS, TEXAS, US) - See all my reviews
I recommend turning off all the lights, locking your wife out of the house, and watching all of these back to back. Then go outside and punch your neighbor. freaking awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars love the rocky movies, September 7, 2013
Blair (Bbountstown Florida 32424) - See all my reviews
I love the rocky movies and now on blu ray I had to have it and have to say it's a great set on blu ray would recommend to anyone who wants the rocky movies on blu ray

5.0 out of 5 stars complete set, September 3, 2013
great great great box set, I have loved these movies since I first saw them as a kid. this set includes them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars PRETTY MUCH A KNOCK OUT IN MY BOOK!, January 8, 2013
Can you hear the sound of the trumpets? I can! It's that time of year when everyone starts that new goal, gives up that bad habit and hopes that there lives will change for the better.

What better time to revisit the Rocky saga? I purchased the new Blu Ray edition of the Rocky series to replace my sub par Rocky DVD box set and I can say with certainty, that it is well worth the upgrade especially at the low price of $19.99 for all 6 films and an exclusive bonus disc with over 3 hours of excellent material.

The films are a mixed bag, but all our entertaining and can inspire the underdog in you to get up off the couch and do something new to improve yourself and help those around you.

The original Rocky is the best of the bunch and is still a film that is poignant and inspirational. Great casting helps this film tremendously with character perfect performances by Stallone as the fighting underdog, Meredith's colorful crotchety manger, Shire the shy object of Rocky's affection, Young as the lovable but hurtful loser, Weathers as the smooth talkin' fighting champ and Spinell as the likable gangster.

The film hits all the right notes with a memorable score and does so much with its' meager budget, none of the other films have ever quite got it like the original. The Blu Ray transfer is very nice retaining grain but looking pretty sharp. It is the best this film has ever sounded or looked.

Rocky II is a solid film showing the aftermath of the first fight and Creed wanting redemption for Rocky going the distance in the first fight. It shows Rocky squandering the money he made for the first fight and also shows him if he wants to make something of himself, he must fight, because it is after all, what he does best! The Blu Ray transfer once again is a big upgrade with a sharp picture, grain is present, but I don't want to look at wax figures and the sound is a big upgrade as well.

Rocky III is my personal favorite of the sequels as it is filled with so many colorful characters. Rocky fights Hulk Hogan (Thunder Lips) in a charity match and meets his arch nemesis in Clubber Lang (played to perfection by Mr. T) Clubber is a brute much like Rocky in the original film, but without Rocky's heart. It is most unfortunate that they Kill off Mickey in this film, but it's a necessary plot point to allow Rocky to lose his first fight with Lang. Of course, it all comes out good in the end. The Blu Ray transfer is on point like the first two films with a much improved picture and sound.

Rocky IV is my least favorite of the sequels, it's not a bad film, but the soundtrack is dated, the Russians are presented like cardboard evil robots and the film is very short with a long training montage and of course the recap in the beginning of the film like each sequel before it. Being short is not a bad thing and the fight with Drago who makes an interesting opponent is one of the best in the series. It also opens the door for Rocky V as the Russian robot and other brutal beatings by Creed and Lang leave the Rock with brain damage. Once again the Blu Ray transfer is a big improvement in picture and sound.

Rocky V....I know a lot of people didn't care for this one, but I know I always joked that they ought to make a Rocky film wear he is diagnosed with brain damage. I mean really this guy used his head as a punching bag in all of the fights in these films and no one could actually take that kind of abuse.

Rocky V introduces Tommy Gunn a young kid with a lot of power and determination, but once again none of Rocky's heart.

After Rocky loses his fortune after a blunder by Paulie giving the Balboa's lawyer power of attorney, the Rock ends up right back where he started. On the street of Philly with the Gym that Mickey left him. Adrian gets her old job back at the pet shop. Rocky is informed after a medical examination that he can no longer box because of the severe beating he has taken over the years.

Enter Tommy Gunn, who wants Rocky to train him if he see any potential. Rocky is reluctant at first, but can't resist a chance of being part of the sport again. The usual stuff happens with Rocky bringing the inexperienced boxer to his own, but the public thinks it's all Rocky's doing and they give the youngster no respect or credit.

The Duke who is basically Don King is trying to lure Rocky back into the ring for personal gain and Adrian is dead set against it. So The Duke lures Gunn to the seedy side of the sport with a title shot, something Rocky doesn't want to give him until he feels he is ready.

The film ends in another battle for Rocky this time in the streets of Philadelphia master against student and well we all know "The Rock" is gonna win. The Blu Ray transfer is the biggest upgrade so far with a huge improvement in picture and sound over the DVD of this film.

Now we come to the finale, Rocky Balboa which I find to be the best of the sequels even though I enjoy Rocky III a little more, this film is a fitting end to the saga and captures much of the heart of the original. The Blu Ray Transfer is excellent both in picture and sound and the grand finale fight is well done. This disc has some interesting extras and is the only film to have extras on the film disc.

The bonus disc however is over 3 hours long with plenty to get excited about making of documentary and pretty cool game and much more.

Final thought, if you love the Rocky films, then this is the way to go, it has all you should ever need to revisit these films and being on sale for $19.99 it is a no brainer. I have read others reviews about the bad transfers, but I watched this on my 150 inch HD screen and I didn't notice any of the distractions that others claimed to have seen. Maybe they fixed the issues(?) as some of the reviews with complaints are old.

Happy New Year everyone get the Rock on Blu Ray and get motivated!

‹ Previous | 1 2 363 | Next ›