Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on June 22, 2014
I rarely buy a new book. As director of a public library, I can buy any book for my library and read it before putting it out for circulation. This new Rodale book is one I have to buy. I've been studying it for two weeks and I realize that I will keep referring to it for years so I'm ordering my own copy today. I am keenly interested in gardening, sustainable living, healthy eating, and natural health care, and this book has much to teach me on all these subjects. I am also a connoisseur of books with visual appeal and this new Rodale herbal shines with good looks. It's a book that I will curl up with this winter on a snowy night, enjoying the beautiful color pictures on every page, sipping my herbal tea that I grew the summer before, while making plans for the new herbs that I will grow next summer. I have benefitted from Rodale books for three decades now; I think this latest is the best yet.
on May 9, 2014
There's something for everyone in this easy-to-read book that you'll go back to over and over again. Practical information for using herbs for medicinal, cooking, cosmetic or other purposes. Fascinating coverage of how herbs were used though history in all parts of the world with many interesting anecdotes. Beautiful photographs making it a great book to leave on your coffee table for easy access to find the quick fix for a cough or whatever bothers you. A book that should be in every home. Loved it!
on May 4, 2014
This book is filled with history, mythology, practical uses, cultural context, ideas, recipes, gardening tips... it's a true compendium of information with a lot of depth. I do wish he'd have included reference notes in-line in the text, but there is a reference list, and he also discusses different historical texts from which he's drawn information. I also enjoy reading it; he makes the subject interesting and brings it alive with beautiful photographs on every page.
on July 13, 2014
This is an excellent source for anyone interested in herbs. Regardless of how much you may already know there is a lot of background information that is both interesting and useful. Topics are well covered even with relatively esoteric plants. My only reservation is that certain herbs, such as rosemary or basil could be further expanded to include more information about different cultivars and their adaptability to different climates. Nonetheless, this is a valuable book that should be in anyone's library as a go to reference book.
on May 23, 2014
This book is extremely comprehensive, has outstanding photos and contains much useful, as well as fun, information.I am enjoying reading it both for its practical advice and for its scientific insights. The book is very well written and a pleasure to read and examine. I recommend it highly.
on June 16, 2014
It is amazing how many herbs are in our every day life, The book is informative, well written and fun. My favorite part is the herbal cooking and wellness sections. THis book would make a great gift for those of use who are into nature and good health!
on August 5, 2014
I love this book!

Has a lot of plants with their information on growing and what their uses are.

It also gives you tips on general taking care of plants like pruning, soil, and planting.
It give gives layouts for your garden to have a beautiful garden!
on December 13, 2014
I'm completely revamping my garden plans because of this book! I was planning on making a large flower garden and a small culinary herb garden. I bought Rodale's 21st-Century Herbal to help me select the culinary herbs. Then I got this book, and I was blown away by the beautiful pictures, all the information on the uses for the herbs, and the wonderful garden plans. I never imagined herbs could be so varied and so useful! I will definitely be putting this book to a lot of use. I highly recommend it for any serious gardener and/or cook.
on February 10, 2015
Of course it is a great book...it is a new Rodale. I gave one to my naturopathic dr brother and he loves it too. Great for reference of all aspects of herbs of all kinds including the growing and storing and so much more. A keeper as a good looking book and as a serious reference book.
on November 10, 2014
This is a beautiful book. It is also a great reference book. It is pretty comprehensive and covers most aspects of herbal lore. It starts with an excellent history of the use of herbs on the different continents of the world. Then there is an excellent section on herbal botany and how plants are named. That alone is an interesting history. It gives guidelines for collecting your own plants from the wild, and then moves into plant chemistry.

There is a glossary of terms used by herbalists so you know what they are talking about as you read through the book There is an excellent section on cooking with herbs and spices and discussion of the various cuisines in different parts of the world. There is a section on herbs and healing, herbal cosmetics, planting and harvesting herbs, layout plans for herbal gardens, even a discussion of herbs for pets.

This book is great reading for anyone who has an interest in herbs. It is a great instruction book for the layperson and has great information for the more advanced reader.I highly recommend it. -- Valerie Lull, Author, Ten Healthy Teas