Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

style: DeadCat Windshield|Change

on March 15, 2012
I used this on my Tascam DR-07 MKII digital recorder. It fits perfect on it and the elastic is strong. When I tested this windscreen, I got real close and said lots of Ps, Ts, and used heavy breathing. No distortion was recorded. While recording, I was in a room with a small echo in it and the echo was not recorded (and this was with full sensitivity of the microphone). I then went outside and tested with moderate wind; no wind noise was picked up. Its build quality is great, but does shed slightly like a dead kitten. I got a couple fibers in my mouth when testing it for voice overs.

Incoming sound is reduced just slightly as with any screen, but its benefits outweigh this effect.

This thing is big, but fits on midsized portable digital recorders nicely. It will add an inch above the mics. It makes your recorder look like one of those troll dolls you put on the end of a pencil eraser. I would have spun it in a circle real fast to check the troll hair effect, but hard to do with a rectangle recorder.

With the Tascam DR-07 MKII, this wind screen does slightly block the earphone plug in, but it will not come off when you have the earphones plugged in. However, it does completely block the external mike jack. Not a problem since you don't use this wind screen attached to your recorder when using an external mic.

I was concerned with the price for a product this simple, but found it was worth it when I received it and got a feel for it.
on June 7, 2012
Using this on my Zoom H4n, mounted on my Canon 7D, shooting for Uncle Sam in Afghanistan. I quickly discovered that the Zoom was really bad about wind noise, whether it's actual wind, if you're moving, or if you're speaking into it. If you've invested in a Zoom, you absolutely must get this product. You're not getting professional quality audio without it.

I was concerned about it coming off in heavy wind environments, like aboard helicopters (where I often find myself). No problems at all, yet.

Strong crosswinds, full sprints, no wind noise at all. The only time I've discovered wind noise was directly under a Chinook helicopter last week. Of course, the video from that is completely useless because I was trying to save myself and my rig from being blown across the Afghan desert. So, this thing will stop anything, provided you don't have a tornado 10 feet in front of you.
on May 3, 2011
Very cool little windscreen. Well made, fits snugly. It makes my Zoom H4N look like Don King AND handles pretty heavy wind.
on March 4, 2011
I bought this after an outdoor video shoot on a windy farm yielded a lot of audio ruined by wind noise. I was shooting with a Rode NTG-2 shotgun mic mounted on my camera with the standard foam windscreen, but no matter which direction I turned I couldn't get away from the constant wind noise caused by maybe a 5-10 mph wind, tops. Barely a good breeze to anyone else but me.

I got the Deadcat just in time for my second farm shoot on a nearly identically windy day. Worlds better. Almost all of my audio was perfectly clear, and any slight, occasional wind rumble that came through actually sounded like natural wind instead of jet blast.

However, and this is why there's no fifth star, the Deadcat has a weak spot: the opening. The whole thing just slips over the foam windscreen that you (hopefully) already have. If you don't have it, there's no way to secure it to your mic. But even slipped over the foam, there's no real way to tighten it down or cinch it up. The result is that the rear is still wide open, and any wind coming from behind is funneled straight into the mic. It took me a few shots to figure out what was happening, and I was able to stop that wind by simply reaching up and holding the Deadcat cloes with my hand. Next time, I'm going to have to bring an extra velcro cable strap, a rubber band, some Gaff tape, or something to close that up.

Finally, the thing really doesn't look like it should be as pricy as it is. Same as other reviews.

But for the most part, it works very well. Audio was far and away much better, and that's the point.
on January 11, 2011
These things are well made and do the job perfectly. So far these have worked wonderfully on my...

* Zoom H4N

* Zoom H2

* Blue Yeti

I am sure they will come in handy for more stuff as well. Side note - the double as a very effective "pop" filter.
on July 13, 2011
Just received my FREE Deadcat from RODE for the Rode VideoMic Pro. I was fortunate enough to receive a card in my box stating that if I registered online for the extended 10 year warranty, I'd receive a free Deadcat. Unfortunately, they didn't send it right away but after two calls to their customer service reps in the U.S., I got it in the mail two days later :)

Needless to say, it does the job. You will want to make sure you've got a good grip on your VMP before putting the deadcat on, as it is a tight fit and won't simply slide onto it. Other than that, it catches the wind nicely and acts as a nice cover to also protect the mic/foam windscreen from the outer elements. I'd hate to have it in the rain, however. This is not going to protect the mic from damage. If anything, water will cling to this windscreen more than anything else. Other than that, it's a great little product to have and I'm sure it will come in handy on many more occasions.

FYI, this was not an Amazon purchase. I bought my VMP at a local pro audio shop.
VINE VOICEon March 19, 2011
I use this Dead -kitten on my H4N and it does a great job of eliminating wind noise. Just don't expect it to kill off a 30 mph blow. But for reasonable winds, it really works well.
review image
on November 30, 2007
Great wind shield to use on your mic while recording outside.
It cuts the strong wind, while getting good quality sound.
on March 22, 2012
I've used the Dead Kitten on a Rode Stereo Video Mic before. I bought another one (intended for another similarly-sized mic) in mid-March 2012, and when it came I was surprised to find that Rode has apparently modified the design. Now the whole Dead Kitten is smaller (less fur) and skimpier. It doesn't feel as snugly fitted either. I don't like this new design, although it does have the advantage of being slightly more compact.
on May 1, 2012
This Rode Dead Kitten works great for reducing wind noise on my Zoom H2n.

It is snug, but that will keep it from falling off.

It does not hinder the audio quality of the recording in any way.