5.0 out of 5 stars I Rode with JEB Stuart, October 27, 2002
K. Freeman (Apple Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Rode With Jeb Stuart: The Life And Campaigns Of Major General J. E. B. Stuart (Paperback)
More than McClellan's memoir, this is an early Stuart biography, and later biographies such as Davies' and Thomas' rely heavily upon it. McClellan became Stuart's AG in May '63, but his account starts with Stuart's youth.
This is a vital account in showing exactly what Stuart's cavalry did during the war: scouting, raiding, screening movements, fighting rearguard actions, gathering information, etc. One thing I didn't know was that Stuart's horse artillery, often under the command of the general himself and sometimes with regular batteries added, would take up a flank position during infantry battles and fire into the Federal ranks. The perpetual, obviously exhausting, activity of the cavalry also becomes obvious.
McClellan was present for the Gettysburg campaign, and his account is invaluable for this somewhat controversial issue. His writing becomes more personal at this point, and he recounts several anecdotes of interest. He continues his detailed recounting of ANV cavalry activity until Stuart's death; McClellan was present at the deathbed and ends his book there. This should be required reading for anyone interested in the cavalry.

4.0 out of 5 stars There words not ours, January 25, 2007
It is often more interesting to read what those who have been there have to say than what we think they said. Thus is the case with this book. It may not have every fact correct, but it is what the author McClellen remembered. As with "Co. Aych" and "All For the Union," their perception of the smaller picture of the War than the overall history that is fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Rode Wtih Jeb Stuart, March 11, 2008
I feel this is a great book for anyone intrested in learning more about this great person. He was not just a General but a caring, warm and compassionate person.

5.0 out of 5 stars McClellan's Book is the Best, January 30, 2010
This has to be one of the best. I should have read this one first. All other books on Stuart are based on this book.

I Rode With Jeb Stuart: The Life And Campaigns Of Major General J. E. B. Stuart