4.0 out of 5 stars Great Films and Lovely Transfers... But Hold Off!
Published 8 months ago by geekzapoppin

3.0 out of 5 stars One incredibly good. Three inexplicably poor
Published 8 months ago by Leonard Norwitz

3.0 out of 5 stars One incredibly good. Three inexplicably poor, May 1, 2014
Leonard Norwitz (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection (Amazon Exclusive) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Looks like my reaction to these new transfers is quite different from the general run of comments on Amazon since this set came out a few days ago. Apart from the incredible restoration of the "Todd-A-O Oklahoma!" which is of demonstration quality and should not be undervalued, the other new transfers, especially "The King and I" "Carousel" and "State Fair" are, in my opinion, just dead wrong in terms of color, brightness and contrast. Yes, resolution is better, especially in the case of "State Fair," but much of this movie is too dark. Instead of a cheery musical, we are given a sombre melodrama. Take a look at Margy's first entrance at her window and as she turns to go into her room. So much of the image disappears in shadow, and her lovely dress looks more like a dish towel.

"The King and I" has some terrific flashes of proper color, but much of it is too dark (again) with an odd blue tinge that flattens the contrast. When it isn't blue, it is at times a burnished yellow-copper that means well but, because of the brightness level, the king especially sometimes looks like he just stepped out of a mudbath. And look what happens to Irene Sharaf's fabulous costumes when you make the darker aspects darker still. Note how the subtle uniqueness of each of the costumes of the king's wives is wasted into shadow when they gather about Anna to check out her dress. Elsewhere, we see that all the jewelry glistens but we can't quite make out how any of it set into the costume or headgear. The transfer isn't always wrong in this respect. "The March of the Siamese Children" is close to perfect - lots of light with good color balance - which makes me wonder why so many other scenes are dialed down the way they are.

Please don't get me wrong - there is plenty to admire even in the darkness. "Uncle Tom's Cabin," surely the visual high point of the film, sustains some wonderful colors despite the subdued light - and the high-def imagery makes for exquisite movement: the rainstorm during Eliza's escape is stunning.

Also, here, as in all the new movies, the audio comes with considerably improved dynamics and clarity, at times revealing faults with the original mix, as with Yul Brynner's first "Who, who, who?" that just blows us out of the room, it's so disproportionally loud. Elsewhere, as in "Shall We Dance," there is a power and majesty completely in accord with the subject.

This is a flawed set: On the one hand we have the miracle of "Oklahoma! in Todd-A-O," for which, frankly, I had the lowest of expectations, and on the other, an entirely wrong-headed idea of what some of these musicals should look like on a proper home theater presentation. In my opinion, the most recent DVDs of "The King and I" and "State Fair" are considerably better - possibly, more accurate, certainly more pleasing and more consistent - in terms of color, brightness and contrast than the new Blu-rays, where Fox has turned glorious Technicolor into generic video. The Blu-rays all have much improved sound and superior resolution as compared to their DVD counterparts, but only "Oklahoma! in Todd-A-O" hits it out of the park.

3.0 out of 5 stars We Waited All this time for this????, May 2, 2014
We waited a long time for the Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection to arrive on Blu Ray. It's been several years since it was originally announced for release, then all of a sudden it was cancelled. Now, it's finally out. The films themselves are from some of the best Musicals ever written. I personally believe that the "Sound of Music" is the best Film ever made, due to it's music, storyline, scenery, and location photography. The film itself is far superior to it's stage production. As far as the musicals themselves, I feel "Carousel" is the best of the Rodgers and Hammerstein Scores. The film was good, but if you see a professional Stage Version, you will come to appreciate it even more. (I was fortunate enough to see Audra McDonald in the 1994 Revival at Lincoln Center.) "State Fair", "King and I", "South Pacific" and "Oklahoma" are also wonderful.

Now, the Blu Rays themselves. Major disappointment. The worst treatment is "The King and I". The color temperature of the film is way off. The entire film has a heavy blue cast over it. At times the actors skin is actually blue. The continuity of color throughout camera angles also changes within scenes. There was no effort to restore this movie to give it the Blu Ray presentation it deserves. A good example is when Lady Thiang is singing "Something Wonderful". She goes from Bluish to even Bluer within the song. She could have easily been a character from "Avatar". It's a shame. These were important films during their time and were shot in CinemaScope 55. They were produced as close to perfection as technology at that time allowed. They are also important films to many people today and they should be preserved on Blu Ray the best possible way. It's a crime that this film was released on Blu Ray and nobody along the way caught an extremely obvious problem. The audio is also lifeless.

"Carousel", another CinemaScope 55 film is flat in color, audio and contrast. The 2006 collection on DVD looks much better. I've even seen VHS tapes with better coloring.

"State Fair" looks just like the DVD. Nothing special.

"South Pacific" and "Sound of Music" both are beautiful as they are the lovingly restored versions that were previously released on Blu Ray a couple years ago.

The only advantage to this set is "Oklahoma". Two versions of the film were shot simultaneously. One in Cinemascope and one in Todd AO. Up until now, the Todd AO version was in horrible shape. This set includes both versions. The restored Todd AO version was recently shown at the film festival in LA. It's stunning! The film pops right off the screen. The restoration is right in line with "Sound of Music" and "South Pacific". It's sad that they didn't give "King and I" and Carousel" the same treatment.

So, to sum things up. If you already have "Sound of Music" and "South Pacific" on Blu Ray, the only good addition in this set is the Todd AO "Oklahoma" which is also set to be released individually in fall. If you have the 2006 R&H DVD Collection, you already posses better looking copies of "King and I", "Carousel" and "State Fair".

After the long wait, you would think they had enough time to give us better quality. They are certainly charging for it. There is nothing on the labeling that says these films underwent restoration, but, you would think that they would have made an effort to render an improved film to Blu Ray. Instead, you are getting 2 films ("King and I" and "Carousel") that looked better when they were on videotape.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Films and Lovely Transfers... But Hold Off!, April 28, 2014
If you love the Musicals of Rodgers and Hammerstein then you should know that the six films represented in this set look and sound better than I have ever seen them on home video. So why should you consider holding off on buying the set? Frankly, it's the price. I was lucky enough to get my order in when it was being sold for under $80. For that price, I feel as if I've gotten my money's worth. Had I paid $179 I would have been sorely disappointed.

It all comes down to the supplements. Studios these days are reticent to spend any money on supplemental features, especially on catalog films. All of the supplements on this set could already be found on previous DVD releases or, in the case of The Sound of Music and South Pacific, on the Blu-ray releases. Don't misunderstand me: these are quality supplements geared toward film lovers. They are also plentiful, with one exception I'll get to farther along in the review. The are sadly all in Standard Definition, however. That wouldn't bother me so much except that some of them, like the Todd-AO shorts or the feature film Liliom (the basis for Carousel), could really benefit from an HD transfer.

Which brings me to the two things that are deal-breakers, as far as I'm concerned. First, the South Pacific discs are exactly the same as the previously-released version. That means that the Roadshow version of the film is still in SD. Very disappointing. Secondly, The Sound of Music is only the first disc from the previously-released Blu-ray set. That means that the most popular film in the set is missing nearly all of the supplements from that set. It's bare-bones except for commentary tracks. For what they are charging, Fox should have included the second disc. There is absolutely no excuse for not doing so. (Edit: The second disc from the previous State Fair DVD release is also not in this package. That disc included the largely derided 1962 version of the film and a brief Mary Martin performance. Not a huge loss, but it may be an issue for some people.)

At the time of release of this set, it's the only way to get four of the films on Blu-ray in the US. I don't expect that to be the case for long. If you're patient, it's likely that you'll be able to purchase these films on their own for far-less than the cost of purchasing them together in this set. If you absolutely must have them now, at least you can rest easy that the films themselves are in fine shape. The Todd-AO version of Oklahoma is stunning. I'm happy with what I paid. You likely won't be should you have to pay more.

5.0 out of 5 stars RODGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN COLLECTION BLU RAY, June 16, 2014
RODGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN COLLECTION BLU RAY review

This is a review of the Blu-ray collection. I owned the DVD versions, so I will be comparing the dvd vs the blu ray discs in picture quality and sound quality.
You already know how iconic the Broadway plays and movies are. They have become legends and I don't need to restate their importance.

Note: viewed on a Panasonic pt-ae 3000 1080p projector and a Sony Blu-ray player on a 120" screen.

State fair - blu ray - Very good picture and outstanding sound (considering its an old mono optical sound track and Technicolor 35mm film). Beats the DVD version. You don't get the Pat Boone/Ann Margaret version. Oh well! I like this older version better.

Oklahoma Todd AO version blu ray. - great! worth the wait. One weird thing, they say it is recorded in 1080i instead of 1080p. This must be to keep the Todd AO 30fps from being screwed up by the 1080p 24fps (???) . The projector usually reports on the signal its getting from the blu ray player and it says the movie is 1080p at 60 fps (I am already confused???) Anyway, it looks great and sounds great too. Very sharp and very clear. There is no comparison with the old dvd version (or any other version), this one rules!

Oklahoma Cinemascope version blu ray - Very nice, and good picture quality. The sound is good. An improvement on the older DVD Version.

Carousel - cinemascope 55 version Blu Ray- very nice. Picture quality varies from very good to outstanding. The sound is slightly better than the DVD version. Both the DVD and blu ray have some mild distortion in the vocal tracks. This does include the movie Lilliom, which Carousel is based on and most of the bonus features from the 2nd disk dvd. An improvement on the older DVD Version.

The king and I cimemascope 55 version blu ray- very nice Picture quality varies from very good to outstanding. The sound is slightly better than the DVD version. Both the DVD and blu ray have some mild distortion in the vocal tracks. An improvement on the older DVD Version.

South Pacific Todd AO general release version blu ray - outstanding picture and sound. The sound is much better than the DVD version. The songs with the filter 'enhancement' are just as annoying to watch as the older DVD version. But, thats the way it is, I guess. An improvement on the older DVD Version.

South Pacific Todd AO "roadshow version" blu ray -very nice Picture quality varies from very good to outstanding. The sound is much better than the DVD version. The songs with the filter 'enhancement' are just as annoying to watch as the older DVD version. The lost and restored roadshow footage is in the same condition as the DVD version (faded!). Oh well! An improvement on the older DVD Version.

The sound of music -todd AO version blu ray - very nice. The sound and picture quality are outstanding. Has some blu ray extras that aren't on the DVD version. An improvement on the older DVD Version.

So, its worth it to get the blu ray set. A few things are missing, a few things are new, but with the overall better picture quality and sound quality, its a nice collection.

And, lets beat this dead horse, again. Some reviewers are complaining about a 'bluer' and darker overall tint on the King and I and Carousel. This can be easily corrected by adjusting the color temp to be a little bit more 'red' and tweaking the brightness control.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why is it always SOMETHING with these R&H releases???, June 11, 2014
Despite my misgivings after reading the negative reviews on some of the titles in this set, I decided I just really wanted to see for myself so I broke down and bought it after the price went down a bit to $110. I'm wishing now I had waited until it dropped more, but I still don't regret buying it. My thoughts:
STATE FAIR --- I had almost no issues with the transfer on this one, despite the complaints from other sources about it being too dark. The grain seemed natural, if a little heavy in spots, and the colors seemed bright and saturated. I'd give the picture quality a B.
And yes, the remake should have been included in this set, ghastly as it is.
OKLAHOMA --- Yes, yes, yes! The glowing reviews of the Todd-AO version are spot on, from the 30fps smoothness (which enhances the clarity but doesn't look TOO smooth, like when you leave the Tru-motion option on on your TV), to the brilliant restored color and detail with just a fine layer of grain to remind us that it's a film. I was one of the first to write a negative review on the DVD travesty 10 years ago and I couldn't be more pleased with this restoration and transfer. . .it truly enhanced my enjoyment of watching this film again! If only the same loving care had been applied to --- well let's not jump ahead. Picture quality A+. The Cinemascope version by comparison is detailed in some shots but grainy and muddy in others, and some scratching and jumping is evident. It's good to have it to compare to the Todd-AO version in performances and other minor differences, but it's otherwise pretty useless. Picture quality gets a C.
CAROUSEL -- Here's where the real problems begin. I've kept reading how The King and I looked like it had been dipped in a blue wash, and this is true -- but it's just as true, if not more so, with this title. The real shame is, the picture otherwise looks beautiful! No speckles, scratches, or jumps are evident, and the detail, clarity and texture is quite stunning, with very little grain. But that blue wash dulled the color through the entire film. . .Julie's orange dress looks muddy, and even the usually bright "June is Busting Out all Over" number looks here like it was filmed during an eclipse. I watched the opening of this movie on VUDU in hi-def and the stars Billy are polishing look crystal white; here they all look blue. I'm very disappointed by the color, thus giving it a C.
THE KING AND I -- Or, Anna Sings the Blues. This looked so much better on VUDU. Like Carousel, this transfer looks like someone did a great restoration on it then dropped the reels into a toilet full of 2000 Flushes Blue cleanser. In addition, several sequences look slightly out of focus before and after the crossfades. . . in other classic films it cuts back to the first generation elements to clarify the scene but there are a lot of what appear to be second-gen shots here. This movie deserves so much better. Picture C-.
SOUTH PACIFIC and THE SOUND OF MUSIC both get an A, but these are not surprising since they evidently used the same great transfers as their previous releases. I had given away my copy of TSOM so the only title I actually double-dipped on was SOUTH PACIFIC, which made getting this set just marginally worth it to me.
The sound is great on all the releases. In the case of CAROUSEL and KING AND I, it is a testament to the power of these films that I enjoyed watching them and was moved once again in spite of the flawed transfers. But honestly, like OKLAHOMA, will we have to now wait another 10 years to get decent high-definition versions of these films that aren't streamed? Really, it's just too bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars disppointing, May 16, 2014
Transfers of Carousel and King And I are not acceptable. Carousel is very dark and King And I has a bluish tinge. Lady Thiang's face becomes bluish during her song. Great Oklahoma transfer.Anna's dress is gray in some scenes and the same dress is blue in other scenes. These should be re-done properly.DVD copies were done better. And quite pricey at that .

1.0 out of 5 stars Major Disappointment!, May 9, 2014
This Rodgers And Hammerstein Collection is almost a waste of money, especially for those who already own SOUTH PACIFIC and SOUND OF MUSIC BD!

I bought this set specifically for OKLAHOMA! and THE KING AND I. OK, OKLAHOMA! is the newly restored but only the Todd-AO version, not the CinemaScope version. Color are vibrant and details are good! Pop in the CinemaScope version, and one would immediately see the different - color are pale! I could live with that, just treat the CinemaScope version as Bonus Features.

How about the rest? SOUTH PACIFIC and THE SOUND OF MUSIC are exactly the same as the previous BD released, but now you only get the movie disc for THE SOUND OF MUSIC! 2nd BD (and DVD if that matter to you!) with loads of Bonus Features is missing. So hold on to your previous 45th Anniversary BD released!

Now let talk about problems for the rest of the titles. STATE FAIR is, well, kind of acceptable since it is the oldest. What you didn't get is the 1962 version, which was included in the 60th Anniversary Edition DVD set. As for CAROUSEL and THE KING AND I, it's disastrous! Both are BLUE all over! Color timing are obviously wrong to the state of almost unwatchable! For example, in THE KING AND I, as Deborah Kerr arrived in Bangkok, it just blue everywhere, especially her dress and the sky. But the moment she enter the palace, it kind of turn silver, and suddenly turn back to blue after Yul Brynner introduced his children! How could they get it so wrong? What wrong with their quality control?

To me, it's a complete waste of money, even though I got it at a discount price of $73.99 from Amazon! This set will not be on my shelf, and I want my money back! For those who still considering, forget it! This set is not worth the money!

Update:

I reviewed CAROUSEL and THE KING AND I with my THX calibrated TV again, and also compared it with both CAROUSEL and THE KING AND I 50th Anniversary DVD. Both improve a little but still appear artificially bluer then their DVD counterpart. Deborah Kerr dress still drifting between blue and silver instead of something in between, kind of greyish blue, which appear on the DVD. For me, OKLAHOME! alone is not enough to save the whole package, especially when I already have SOUTH PACIFIC and THE SOUND OF MUSIC BD. I am return it for a full refund.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but poorly produced in Bluray quality., July 11, 2014
This collection is almost all of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals on film. The films are timeless but this Blu-ray set has some real problems. The previously released South Pacific and The Sound of Music are flawless. Oklahoma! has a mostly perfect picture except for an important day-for-night scene that is mis-timed; the Oklahoma! sound is disputed. Carousel is overly dark and too blue, but watchable with some adjustments to your equipment. Unhappily, The King and I is colored in teal and is unwatchable. Fox has missed an opportunity for repeats of their great success with South Pacific. If you love the films as much as I do, buy it anyway, otherwise wait for someone at Fox to order this fixed.

Get it in DVD:

My personal favorite:

Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpieces of American musical theatre on Blu ray at last, March 23, 2014
Anthony Clarke (Woodend, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
The new price posted of less than $80 for all eight discs (six movies) makes this a fantastic bargain.
I don't live in America, but I believe the legacy of the great Broadway and Hollywood musicals which America has given us are one of the outstanding redeeming features of the barbaric 20th Century. And along with Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Jerome Kern, Lorenz Hart and all the others, Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II were lustrous adornments to their craft.
The existing blu rays of South Pacific and The Sound of Music show what care Fox has lavished upon the restoration of these classics; they are both demonstration-quality discs of the highest order. Now they are joined by my two favourite Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, Carousel and Oklahoma, with The King and I and State Fair thrown in for good measure.
As a special treat, we are being given two versions of Oklahoma .. the version shot for the Todd-AO widescreen cinema chain, and the version shot for conventional Cinemascope theatres .. two separate movies had to be made as it was not possible to convert one negative into two very different formats -- and the two are quite different in performance and staging. I'll be watching both versions very often and hope you do to.
I hope this Fox release serves as an incentive to others .. especially Warners, whose release of a Blu ray box set of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers is way overdue!

1.0 out of 5 stars "Carousel" Looks Awful, May 2, 2014
Like another reviewer stated, "Carousel" looks awful on blu ray: it's much too dark and the whole film looks as though it takes place at dusk. What a great disappointment.